Wanting to quit smoking.. | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wanting to quit smoking..

Hi everyone,
    So I'm a 20 year old who has been smoking for almost 7 years now, I started due to an abusive relationship and as a way to deal with my mental health issues (depression, anxiety, eating disorder etc).
    I still have my depression days and get anxiety quite a lot, and always turn to my fags as a coping mechanism. The thing is, as much as I can enjoy having a fag (after a big feed, or with my morning cuppa) I hate the fact that I smoke. I hate my DS watching me through the window or door while I'm smoking, I won't even look at my reflection if I'm having one.
    I really want to quit, but I'm worried about my depression and anxiety and not being able to cope without them.
    Can anyone offer some support or advise on how to go about it?
    I can't take champix because of the severity of my depression and the risks etc.
    i know I will need a new way of coping, but I think I might be ready. I can't stand smelling of it, I hate that my DS smells it.

Thank you very much for any help !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's great that you recognise the need to quit! What about E cigarettes for times you are super stressed? My mum smoked for 40years before quitting, she still has the odd E cigarette at times when she's anxious. They have stopped he from picking up a real cigarette too and she has now been 2yrs smoke free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can't really comment on quitting but I will. I still smoke. Hate it but struggling to quit. I'm trying to get the money together to see a hypnotist that I friend has seen. She quit with no cravings whatsoever. She's still smoke free. It's only been about 6 months but she highly recommends it. Also there's a book that I've read - Allen carr the easy way to quit smoking. It did help me quit for a bit recently but some major issues came up and I started again but I did find the book helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I may look into a hypnotist !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am in the same position as you, trying to put some strategies in place to quit smoking.

I can't take Champix either due to past history of depression.

I have been looking into hypnosis and was quite keen to use some apps on my phone to do from home until a friend told me that had a friend that did hypnosis and it uncovered all sorts of repressed memories and now she is a mess - this now scares me as I know I have some repressed memories.

I can't seem to do cold turkey but I also hate the patches etc.

Very difficult but we're here to support you no matter what method you choose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too have been a medicated depressant for 18yrs (was diagnosed as a teenager) also suffering from anxiety and gave up smoking 5yrs ago. I did use champix to quit. From when I started to completely stopping was only a matter of 12days. Everyone is different but I recommend you speak to your gp about champix, depending on your medication and dosage of course yo whether you can take it. I found I had some bad days but I have them regardless so it really was no different for me. If you really can't take it maybe patches or hypnosis is the way to go. Goodluck with it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry for the late reply ladies, I have attempted champix before and it was the dr who said (after a few 'episodes') that it was not the way to go and unfortunately I am ellergic to the sticky stuff on the patches.
    Hypnosis is a little scary due to the things they may/can uncover from my past also. I've tried cold turkey and seem to only last 1-2 days. It's like I forget I'm supposed to quit or I get so stressed I think 'one won't hurt' then it ends up being more then one.
    I also still cope with PND, though I'm not 100% sure if it is PND or just my norm everyday depression. It's a goal I have (to quit) either way, I want to be fully clean by the end of this year, so I'll keep working towards it. I don't exersize at the moment, but I will be getting into it starting tomorrow (squats, running etc)
    Thank you for all the tips!

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Great work to even get to the point of wanting to quit.
    I smoked from the ages of 17-34.
    I was a heavy smoker - often in excess of 20 a day.
    I never thought I would quit. But got pregnant. It took me 2 weeks after finding out I was pregnant to quit but I did it. I had a setback about 3 weeks later where I had a crap day at work and came home, broke into my emergency stash, smoked 3 cigarettes in a row and threw up.
    I haven't smoked again since.
    That was February 2014 - 17 months ago.
    I'm still not smoking.

For me, I had to find the right motivation. Sadly, my own health wasn't motivation enough. But DS was.

I think each person has to find their motivation and also seek help.

Call the quit line. Friends have found them really helpful. Other things like patches or gum might help. But I think those things only support your will power, they don't replace it.

Good luck! You should be so proud of yourself for getting to this point!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I'm not a smoker so feel free to take my advice with a grain of salt.

But I have anxiety and moments of "low mood" and I always find that no matter how crap or tired I'm feeling - going to the gym for an hour and doing a workout that I know I can complete (not the time to go attempt a 10km run) and getting hot and sweaty and heart racing and listening to some good music definitely makes me feel a lot more alive and lot better about myself.

I've just started weights and I really quite enjoy the feeling of "hell yeah. go body. Look how strong you are".

Hopefully the exercise will help with your mood. If you're going to a gym see if they have any sort of yoga or pilates class that also should help with the mood.

Once you get exercising and discover how awesome your body is, that might help with the quitting side of things as by not smoking you'll be able to exercise further/longer/stronger etc if that makes sense.
    I completely agree with you here, I used to work out a lot, only at home because I'm a full time booby feeder, but I noticed rather then having the 5-7 smokes a day I was only having 1-2, which is a lot better. And I loved the feeling of my muscles burning. I have to say squats are my favourite, since I don't have a bum, but the feeling of my legs shake after an intense workout made me feel like I was stronger and more powerful. I will definatly be getting back into it, I will buy some weights and things I can use at home. Thank you very much for you're advise, I forgot how good it felt until the way you explained it.! I may start a 'quit smoking diary' in here to keep everyone updated on the journey and a place to put my 'good and bad' thought and events thank you!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Luanajo For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (14-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quick question, how so I start a journal though? Haha sorry a little new