+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Gut health - pls tell me all about it

Can anyone tell me more about gut health and why it's so important? Can anyone explain what water kefir is and what it does / how it works etc?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not a doctor, and this is just my understanding, but the microbes in your gut help to break down your food and also produce significant amounts of certain vitamins for you. They are a factor in your immune system and gut flora problems have apparently been implicated in auto immune disorders. (Paediatric gastroenterologist told us to be careful with losec as it could change gut flora and increase the chances of MS or diabetes.)

We have been making milk kefir for about a month now after buying the grains online. It has already helped my husband's lactose intolerance. I just find it cheaper than buying probiotics for my entire family. I have been taking probiotics since needing strong antibiotics a while back and have had my baby on them since she also had strong antibiotics at birth and losec afterwards. I imagine water kefir would be similar to milk kefir and help to keep up the population of "good" microbes.

Just be aware that it can get tedious having to strain and sterilise jars every day.
    Last edited by Cardi; 14-07-2015 at 22:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I've been reading up on this a lot lately , my SIL is a naturopath and is doing tons of research on it but in a nut shell there are trillions of bacteria in our gut, some bad bacteria ( endotoxins) can "leak" into our system causing inflammation ,unhealthy foods ( processed foods, junk food, fast food, refined carbs, high fat etc ) increase these bad bacterias

These leaks build up over time and can wreak havoc on your body and studies are literally being carried out now linking leaking gut with the increase of some diseases like diabetes, Alzheimers ,depression, obesity plus many more - the science is pretty new on this but they are really putting a lot of research into it so we will know more and more every year

So far the answer is a healthy, fresh food organic diet limiting processed foods and chemicals, refined carbs and pretty much just clean eating - eating pro biotics ( kefir, yogurt, fermented foods ) are so far the best way to reduce inflammation

This us s great link to info on kefir:

http://authoritynutrition.com/9-heal...fits-of-kefir/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

azelqra  (15-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know all the particulars about why, but I do know that healthy bacteria in your gut affects so much of your general health, particularly your immune system.

I don't drink kefir but it's basically almost like thin yoghurty sort of drink. You can get good probiotics from many food sources: raw sauerkraut (you'll know it's still "alive" if you find it in the refrigerated section rather than in a sealed jar on a shelf), kimchi, real unsweetened yoghurt (really easy to make yourself actually), kombucha (a fermented tea drink becoming more popular at fancy supermarkets). And obviously probiotic tablets and things like yakult.

The other aspect of gut health is eating a lot of vegetables and fruits for their fibre and "prebiotic" qualities. This is basically the food that good bacteria like. Sugar, alcohol and processed foods are the types of food unhealthy bacteria like. So your diet can greatly influence gut health.

That's all I know. I think in terms of the science, we're learning more each day so who knows.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So what does water kefir and milk kefir taste like? Is it flavoured or is it plain? Would my kids drink it?

Is it the same as probiotic tablets?

Do I have to buy organic to make it all worthwhile? - we never buy organic because of the cost...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    Do I have to buy organic to make it all worthwhile? - we never buy organic because of the cost...
    Google the dirty dozen and clean fifteen for an idea on where to start with organic :-)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azelqra For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (15-07-2015),SAgirl  (15-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't know much about Kefir, but two things that are evidence-based:
    -commercial probiotics have minimal impact on gut bacteria. Prebiotics (mainly lots of fibre! Also certain acids found in vinegars) have a huge effect.
    -there's pretty much zero evidence that organic food is better for your health.

make of that what you will

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

delirium  (15-07-2015),SAgirl  (15-07-2015),smallpotatoes  (15-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    So what does water kefir and milk kefir taste like? Is it flavoured or is it plain? Would my kids drink it?

Is it the same as probiotic tablets?

My DS is not a fan of milk kefir but Im going to start adding it to his smoothies in summer as he loves those - ( or yogurt ice blocks) and we buy the kefir frozen yogurt from the organic shop my SIL adds it to her salad dressings and you don't even notice it - water kefir my sister has daily just mixed with coconut water ( I'm not a fan of the taste) obviously fresh fermented foods are better than powdered forms but I still give DS a powdered pro biotic daily so at least I know he gets something regularly every day - this is a great chart to see what other foods are great for gut health

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1436931249.925355.jpg

I think , obviously , your better to eat as many whole fresh foods as you can but just make a start of getting rid of all processed foods in the house ( anything with additives and preservatives) and cut down on refined carbs , junk food and when you can afford it buy some organic fruits and veggies ( like pp said) are better eaten without the pesticides as their skins absorb it more ( last year the government finally banned a toxic chemical used on our stone fruit after tests revealed it is harmful for humans to eat , after decades of them telling us it was safe!)

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1436931302.247592.jpg
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 15-07-2015 at 16:16.