+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For me it would depend on how sick he was. When my DS had conjunctivitis he was still very happy and not too bothered by it, so I was happy to have my mum watch him. My parents are usually happy to have him but if they're busy all my other friends who I would trust to have him, have their own little ones so I wouldn't want to make their kids sick too.

Recently he had HFM, he was so sick in the first 2 days with awful fevers, wouldn't eat and just wanted to cuddle all day. I wasn't working those days anyway but if it had been a work day I would have called in sick as he obviously just wanted me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't get sick leave.
    The kids are usually sick during their mum's time- she doesn't work Monday (and I suspect she doesn't work Tuesday either) and finishes at 3 on Thurs and Fri. So she has a lot of lee-way. She uses (yep USES) a 'friend' for during the day if she is at work.
    Or she calls us and demands we do it. If I have notice/am not rostered, I take care of them. Otherwise H takes a day off and gets a warning for no notice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    I don't get sick leave.
    The kids are usually sick during their mum's time- she doesn't work Monday (and I suspect she doesn't work Tuesday either) and finishes at 3 on Thurs and Fri. So she has a lot of lee-way. She uses (yep USES) a 'friend' for during the day if she is at work.
    Or she calls us and demands we do it. If I have notice/am not rostered, I take care of them. Otherwise H takes a day off and gets a warning for no notice.
    How can he get a warning for not giving notice? You can't give notice for sick leave, unless it's a planned surgery or something. Pretty sure it's illegal to punish employees for taking time off to care for their kids...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (14-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (14-07-2015),TheGooch  (14-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    How can he get a warning for not giving notice? You can't give notice for sick leave, unless it's a planned surgery or something. Pretty sure it's illegal to punish employees for taking time off to care for their kids...
    You're right, it is illegal. Unless he's taking annual or unpaid leave and isn't giving notice, but I don't know why he would when it's clearly personal / carer's leave.

To answer the OP's question, both hubby and I are very lucky to work for supportive companies and very supportive Managers with young kids themselves. If my daughter is mostly happy but can't go to daycare, my parents will have her. If she has kept one of us up all night or just wants cuddles with us, one of us will stay home with her. My parents are really awesome and will take her to the doctor if necessary, though I do feel guilty about that. They assure me that if she needs me, they will call me straight away, which they have done before when she had bronchitis and just wouldn't stop crying.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Child care and sickness.....

Perhaps with no medical certificate/stat Dec?

We alternate days generally, depending on work loads and if iI have something important on or if his short staffed. However I get almost twice the number of unplanned leave days as he gets so I seem to end up taking a little bit more off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How did he go at the Drs @ A-Squared?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband works 4 on 4 off so if it falls on his off days great, if it doesn't though there is No way he can leave/have time off unless he is so sick he can't move or an emergency.

Generally speaking it falls on me but I've also just started a new job. We use our parents where we can. They're willing to help out and enjoy the sick cuddles. For minor things like colds and conjunctivitis Etc Id send to parents, but illness with fevers/24hr bugs etc, I'll stay home. If he is happy enough let your parents help out. You can always leave work if the situation changes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    It's viral so he said that the drops are pointless anyway. So we just have to keep them clean and wait for it to pass. Hopefully it clears up by Friday so he can go to CC then.

Thank you for everyone's replies, I think I'll have to give up this crazy 'debt' I guess you could call it that I feel towards my workplace. I've been there 5 years and overlooked for promotions as I can't work full time and as a few of you have said, I earned all of my sick leave over the years as I've never needed them or faked them. I have a very flexible workplace but I guess because boss is gay and doesn't want kids he doesn't get it and I'm the only person in my entire team with kids, that I feel like they'll all get the ****s on if I'm never there.

I'm new to all of this as DD was looked after by her grandparents and not childcare when I went back to work the first time so I didn't need to take any time off as the most she ever had was a few colds. So I guess it's going to take a whole for me to get my emotions in check around all of the aspects of having the kids in childcare.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

New Hope  (14-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please don't feel bad to use your sick leave- it's there for that reason. It's been awhile since my kids were sick and needing any off... Almost a year actually. The first year is always bad. Then it improves immensely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Because he uses up his sick leave fast- DSS is always sick. So H doesn't have any leave left by 6 months into the year.