+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Child care and sickness.....

Working mums, how do you manage it when your kids get sick?

My DS is 9.5 months and DD is 3.5 years and have both just started childcare 2 days a week and my parents have them one day as I'm back at work 3 days a week.

DS has conjunctivitis and won't be well enough to go to CC tomorrow so I'll send DD and I've asked my parents to look after DS so I can go to work as I've just started back 2 days so far, and feel bad for taking a day off so soon despite having 12 weeks of sick leave up my sleeve.

So how do you manage it? Do you always take the day off? Do you share days off with your OH/baby's dad? Do you get someone else to look after them? Something else?

I feel bad for even leaving him with my parents as he's off his food a bit and only is breastfeeding so I'm worried he may get really hungry or just need me for comfort. But then if I stayed home I'd also feel bad.

How do I also get past the guilt of letting either work or my children down. I know my kids are more important than work, but I can't be THAT person who is always taking leave even though I'm entitled to it with all of the sick leave I've built up over the 5 years I've been there?

TIA!! xox

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hubby and I share taking days off. We have 4 kids so it makes it very difficult. Hubby has taken more of the load then I as his workplace are very understanding most of the time. We do have his parents nearby but they are not well enough themselves most of the time. My parents are also near but a lot younger than DH's so are still working full time.

To be honest, I stress out majorly anytime any of my kids even look like they are getting sick.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Beljane For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Beljane View Post
    Hubby and I share taking days off. We have 4 kids so it makes it very difficult. Hubby has taken more of the load then I as his workplace are very understanding most of the time. We do have his parents nearby but they are not well enough themselves most of the time. My parents are also near but a lot younger than DH's so are still working full time.

To be honest, I stress out majorly anytime any of my kids even look like they are getting sick.
    My DH is quite high up in his workplace so taking a full day off just isn't an option unfortunately.

I understand your stress, it's so hard! I can't imagine having 4 kids who can all get sick! It's bad enough having 2 and so far only 1 of mine has been sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids don't generally get sick that often, but when they do I just use my sick leave. That is what its there for!! If I have something important on at work I will ask the kids dad if he can have the day off. Of course I have used more sick leave now that I am working with kids, than pre-children, and I think employers expect that. They have had 5yrs where you have used little sick leave so you have hardly been "letting them down".

For me, the kids come looong before my work commitments, but I'm not very career driven. I suffer no guilt, the kids are only small, prone to illness and breasfed for a short amount of time in the scheme of things. You have been a dedicated employee for many years, to the advantage of your employer. Now it is your turn to enjoy those entitlements without guilt..stay home with your babies if you have to

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (14-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH and I share days off, we don't have anyone else who can take care of the kids. My workplace is quite understanding, my boss and colleagues have children and so they get it. It gets easier when they get a little older as they don't get sick as often, plus this is the worst time of year, my kids have a never ending cough, runny nose at the moment.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ A-Squared I'm going back to work p/t in September and DF and I will share taking sick days when DD is sick. We are both lucky in that we work for companies who are family friendly but, regardless of that, you and your DH are entitled to sick days if you need them so try not to feel bad about taking them. Like pp says the fact you have 12 wks means you haven't been letting them down and if you end up taking more this year, its only cos you've built them up. Hugs though, it is hard x

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Story of my life at the moment! I'm home with both kids today. DH takes a day of sometimes, or his parents will watch the kids for us. In an emergency, my brother and SIL have helped us out. I said to DH last night that It would be so much easier if I could stay home for the rest of the year and let bub fully recover but we can't afford it and I would be throwing my career away as I have just taken on higher duties etc. if I stuff this up it will be years before I get the chance again.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Conjunctivitis must be going around!! We have just had it too @A-Squared we share the load and also my parents help if I have appointments etc. I sent DD one day last week but then she had it the next day.

Lots of saline, sheet washing and hand washing!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also because your BF use you ebm it works wonders!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess my situation is a little different in that I am doing my final yr uni pracs and dh is working full time. The kids were sick a lot at the end of last term which made it quite hard for me, as you really shouldn't be taking days off prac. I was lucky that my supervisor didn't have a problem with it as she was satisfied with my overall performance and basically let me know I had already passed. It is hard for dh to take time off and since he is in the paying role it doesn't really make sense either. I have my final prac coming up this term and am already worried about the sickness. I am hoping the kids at least have a good run in the first few weeks so I can build good rapport, it's so hard

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-07-2015)