+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Moving baby into room with sister.

DD is almost six months old and she sleeps in her cot in our room. She still wakes in the night when she loses her dummy maybe 5 or 6 times a night but settles as soon as she has her dummy back. Her sister is almost 6 and is a great sleeper. I am wondering if I should think about moving bubs into DD6's room soon as they will eventually have to share? I am worried that she will disturb her big sister too much. Is it still too early? Any tips on settling baby into a siblings room??

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved DS2 in with DS1 when he was 12 months old (DS1 was 3). They are now 3 and 5 and love sharing. It was always the plan here because I wanted a separate play room. There were no issues here, DS2 was a shocking sleeper, woke every 90 minutes or so overnight which is why we ended up moving him. He started sleeping through almost straight away. They rarely wake each other up during the night (eg if one wakes to go to the toilet or because they've had a nightmare; DS1 has screaming night terrors and DS2 never wakes) though they stuff around at bedtime now because they're at the age of playing together. It works really well here and I have a feeling they'll share until they're tweens, possibly early teens.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We moved our dd2 aged 17mths in with dd1 3.5yo. It was a brilliant move. Both sleep so much better with the company.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (13-07-2015),monnie24  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did your little ones sleep in with you up until you moved them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. DS2 slept in a cot in our room and was breastfeeding overnight as well. That stopped almost as soon as he was moved.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm. I'm thinking I might keep her in with us for a while longer yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only real reason we reviewed sleeping arrangements is because of DS2's appalling sleeping. I'd have kept him in longer if he slept better, but it was taking its toll on all of us. I hate that he stopped feeding (he dropped night feeds then completely weaned within 3 weeks) but getting sleep saved our sanity so it was a payoff for us. We moved DS1 into his own room at 6 months (he was bottle fed by that point) for no real reason, and I regret it. He was a great sleeper, but I was feeling suffocated (I had PND as well). I say if things are good, why change?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had DS and DD in their own rooms by six months and we would have done the same with bubs if she had her own room. I wouldn't say she is the best sleeper and she does keep us awake a fair bit. The dummy is the problem and also she hasn't properly learned to self settle yet. I think we might leave it until she can fully self settle without needing to be patted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my kids were in their own rooms as soon as we got home from hospital. We moved interstate when Dd was 8 weeks old and my Ds was 2.5 and they had to share as we lived with in laws and limited space . Never had any issues .. They shared a room until we bought a 3 bedroom house when Dd was 1..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How did you do it? Make them settle same time or one asleep first? I have tried twice get them in same room but they get hysterical at sleep time