+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default CIO method and naps

Hi I've been doing the CIO method with DS (15 months) for a few weeks. At night he gets to sleep within 30 minutes and he sleeps through most nights ( if he does wake up he gets himself to sleep within 5-10 minutes, if he's full on screaming I do go and see what's wrong and then put him back in his cot and lay my hand on his back for a bit)

Anyway, nap times are a bit more trickier. Before I started the CIO method with him he was used to climbing onto the couch with me after lunch for an hour or so and sleeping on or next to me.

Today I put him in his cot to see jest would happen.. He did go to sleep ok after whinging ( not crying too much) and just talking to himself for about 15 minutes then was off to sleep .

He only slept for 30 minutes though. I let him cry for 5 minutes to see if he'd go back to sleep like he does at nights but he just kept getting louder/ more upset. Well I went in and tried getting him back to sleep but he wasn't having a bar of it. I got him up and gave him a cuddle. He's now gone back to sleep on the couch next to me ( I don't sit on the couch all day don't worry lol).

What I want to know is, should it matter if he sleeps in his cot half his nap time and then the other half on the couch/with me..? Or should I keep trying to let him sleep longer in his cot?

How long should he cry for if he wakes after only 30 minutes especially if he's just grizzling ( not full on screaming)?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone??? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not sure that many (any?) people on here practice CIO, sorry.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

DreamyMummy  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Um ok then....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone that DOES do CIO method please help!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @VicPark might be able to help. I frequently read people mix up CIO with CC and from what you've written it sounds a bit more like CC than CIO.

ETA: But the PP was right. I actually don't think I've ever read anyone doing CIO on bubhub, and I've been here for six years.
    ETA 2: I stand corrected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did CIO for both mine from a young age. Day sleeps I used to do the same as night time to keep consistency .. Sometimes they would sleep on the couch if they fell asleep watching TV ect but otherwise it was cot for naps. I'm a firm believer in it if done correctly.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

DrDrakeRamoray  (13-07-2015),nh2489  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks..
    I really don't want this to be a debate about who's a better mum and all that..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing in anticipation

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BerryDelicious For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (13-07-2015),Mamasupial  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did cc with ds1 and I must say that while the night sleep got sorted very quickly it did take longer with daytime naps so I think it can be normal. From what I remember I was just consistent and kept trying but I was also aware of when he really wasn't going to sleep so would stop and get him up. I would then keep him up and busy for a while before trying again as sometimes during the day they are just not sleepy enough and get more worked up. You do start to be able to tell the cries after a while so I would know whether to leave it a bit longer or to go in and get him up. For example if he was crying and also whinging that was more of a sleepy frustrated cry whereas at other times I could tell he was just getting more wound up.
    In answer to your question about where he sleeps I would suggest you try to keep it consistent in the cot and if he wakes up early just give him a shorter nap that day. Just because in my understand you want to avoid any sleep cues and having a cuddle next to you is one of those so I think it's best to try to avoid it.
    I'm not an expert at all though and it sounds like you're doing a good job, it just might take a bit longer with the naps.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

DrDrakeRamoray  (13-07-2015)