+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Got horrible news today and not sure what to do...

I have a 2yr old DD and am 10 weeks pregnant. I work part time, 4 days a week (5-6hours). My mum babysits DD during this time. I had today off because my mum had a Dr appointment after one of those voluntary bowel screen kits. She was told today that she has bowel cancer! I don't know much else but they want to hurry her in for surgery in the next couple of weeks. Said she'll need 1-2 weeks in hospital and that it's major surgery so she'll need help when she gets home.
    I don't know a lot about bowel cancer so am on shock now. Stressed out and have no idea what I'll do about work now either. Obviously my mum comes first, but I do have to figure out what I'll do. Potentially she'll be unable to look after her for 6 weeks which could be longer if she ends up needing chemo also. My chances of a last minute daycare spot are low and DD has such bad seperation anxiety that we've been told by a carer before that she can't take her on.
    I'm confused, stressed...anyone been through similar?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What a stressful situation for you OP. I can understand being confused and stressed. Could you look in to family daycare in your area? Perhaps your DD might bond better to a carer in a small, family like environment? Is there any other family/friends who might be able to help you out? What is your work situation like? Could you take unpaid leave if necessary to look after your DD?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a spot in family daycare originally. She was younger so we could try again I suppose. I don't see it improving much though.
    We have plenty of people nearby but everyone works full-time. Work may have no choice but to support me in having time off. They are unlikely to just fire me to be honest but there isn't anyone who can just step in and do my job either. I planned to finish up at the end of the year or early Jan. If I resign now I won't qualify for PPL either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Couldnt read & run, OP I am so sorry for you & your family. I hope your mum is ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Op I am so sorry.

How would your daughter feel about a nanny? She would be in the comfort of her own home and that might ease her separation anxiety a bit.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph12 View Post
    We had a spot in family daycare originally. She was younger so we could try again I suppose. I don't see it improving much though.
    We have plenty of people nearby but everyone works full-time. Work may have no choice but to support me in having time off. They are unlikely to just fire me to be honest but there isn't anyone who can just step in and do my job either. I planned to finish up at the end of the year or early Jan. If I resign now I won't qualify for PPL either.
    Hmmmm....I second the suggestion of a nanny then. Maybe if she is in her own environment she might be somewhat happier?

Hugs to you. I hope you can sort something out and that your mum is okay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have no advicev but i just wanted to send uou and your fsmily hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm so sorry you've received such awful news

Agree with others who've suggested hiring a Nanny. I imagine it'll be more expensive than day care, but if it's only a short term thing it just might be the solution you need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your suggestions. I think we would have more luck with family daycare then a nanny. DD has started doing this thing at home where if she finds soemthig of mine like my pyjamas or shoes and I'm not there she walks around crying, holding the item saying "Mama gone!" Takes ages for DH to calm her down. Maybe if she's away she'll eventually forget.
    Hmm I don't know it's all so last minute.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Steph12 For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (13-07-2015)