+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Buderim private and Obstetrician

hi guys
    Relatively new to Sunshine Coast and 7 weeks pregnant!
    I am trying to figure out where to have my baby, Nambour or Buderim private.
    We do have private health cover but I'm unsure of out of pocket expenses and the pregnancy management fee at 20 weeks.
    Any advice or tips for me would be really good!

Thanks xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgie1701 View Post
    hi guys
    Relatively new to Sunshine Coast and 7 weeks pregnant!
    I am trying to figure out where to have my baby, Nambour or Buderim private.
    We do have private health cover but I'm unsure of out of pocket expenses and the pregnancy management fee at 20 weeks.
    Any advice or tips for me would be really good!

Thanks xo
    Congratulations! Fellow coasty here and I am going to Buderim private. It really depends on the model of care you want - your own obstetrician of your choosing, or just the public system. For private you're looking at around 2k even with private health (the obstetricians pregnancy management fee), as this is not covered by private health. The delivery of your baby and hospital stay are though, so depending on your cover you'll likely have to pay just an excess (ours is $500).
    I had my DS public in Melbourne but have many friends (some of whom are nurses that also work at Nambour) who've given birth at either. Buderim private suites are awesome, you get your own large room with ensuite etc. the birth facilities are only a few years old so it's all nice and new and most of the OBs work out of the on-site suites so there nice and close etc.
    With public you'll be sharing a room with several other women/babies.
    I would suggest having a tour at both and talking with staff before making a choice. For us we had a difficult first birth and this has been a major factor in me choosing private this time round. My OB is awesome, I can go in for scans whenever and however often I want and she's always there to ask questions. I also really want my own room and privacy for post-birth as you never know how it's going to go - I had an emergency C last time and really needed rest. Plus your partner can stay whereas they send them home at public hospital.
    In saying all that, I know plenty of nurses at Nambour and you're in good hands there. Feel free to PM me of you have any more q's. We are probably sharing similar due dates! 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thank you heaps for the info!
    I've my heart set on Buderim private as it's nice and close and doc has recommended an ob who after searching forums have seen great reviews about her. We were just afraid we would end up with a big out of pocket bill so thank you for the great info!
    I am thinking my due date is feb 28 2016 but going for date scan this Wednesday will be interesting as have not had one with my last pregnancy (was overseas)

All the best with your pregnancy!!
    Now to get through this awful nausea!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bridgie1701 For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgie1701 View Post
    Wow thank you heaps for the info!
    I've my heart set on Buderim private as it's nice and close and doc has recommended an ob who after searching forums have seen great reviews about her. We were just afraid we would end up with a big out of pocket bill so thank you for the great info!
    I am thinking my due date is feb 28 2016 but going for date scan this Wednesday will be interesting as have not had one with my last pregnancy (was overseas)

All the best with your pregnancy!!
    Now to get through this awful nausea!!
    I am having a scan this Wednesday too, had one last week and we did see a flicker of a HB but she said to come back in a week for a better measurement. I think I am very early March as I ovulated late.
    I'm going with Kirsten Morrow but all the obs at Buderim have great reps.
    Also if you call the obs office they will be more than happy to give you a thorough breakdown of fees, I did that last year for several, (but ended in an early miscarriage). Good to know what you're up for cost wise (but they are all about the same at Buderim).
    Know what you mean re nausea. Can't eat my lunch today sucking on ginger candies instead!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's who my doctor recommended!! Yes I emailed the hospital for the fees. Might give a ring tomorrow.
    I'm just going for the date scan is that what you scan is this Wednesday? I'm only going by my LMP not my ovulation as on my charts my temps didn't match up.
    So Sorry to hear of ur miscarriage fingers crossed for you this time.

Ginger candies I must try!! My fav foods even a cup of tea are revolting at the minute!! But I can eat small bland things so will soldier on!

Best of luck with your scan on Wednesday and thank you lots for the info you have been a great help to me 😀

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bridgie1701 For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kirsten is so great, I really like her. Really easy to talk to etc. She offered to do early scans for me given what happened last year with my MC (got stuffed around by GP etc and took ages to diagnose). She has scan equipment in her office (like most obs) so just scanned me as part of my initial consult (ordinarily first consult is done around 10 weeks?), we wanted to make sure this one was looking viable. So far, so good. I expect I will get a due date from the scan on Wednesday all going well...
    Best of luck with everything, can definitely recommend Kirsten 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fantastic! Thank you heaps for your input. Best of luck Wednesday and hey we might cross paths in February/March next year!