Closed Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Nope, who is that hurting / disadvantaging / killing? Just the person who's eating it.
    Well, and I'm sorry to be a smart ar$e here, but you could get into aspects like food mileage, non ethical companies, deforestation and water consumption, big corporations etc.

That would be way off topic, but there are very few choices we can make that won't affect another human on the planet. Some are just more obvious than others.

Anyway, not picking on you, it was just a thought I've been having through this whole thread.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (14-07-2015),FearlessLeader  (13-07-2015),monkeymama  (13-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Nope, who is that hurting / disadvantaging / killing? Just the person who's eating it.
    Their innocent family who will lost a loving member early?
    Their innocent children who are picking up diet from their parents "monkey see monkey do"?
    Society who is picking up the health care bill for all weight related sicknesses?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (14-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-07-2015),Star Light  (14-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkin275 View Post
    I'm thinking my comment was misinterpreted in parts.

Smoking in an open air carpark is not yet illegal. Well not in the ACT or areas of SA that I have lived anyway. These were the comments that I was aiming my response at.

Some of these comments in here are hurtful, I make sure my son isn't exposed to second or third hand cigarette smoke which I am sure most of you also do. Just because I have an addiction from when I was a teenager (I grew up with a whole family of smokers so it was almost a given I'd take up at least at some point) doesn't mean that I'm dirty or grubby or a second class parent to my child.

I'm astounded at people's attitudes to smokers and yet I've seen threads about other addictions much much more harmful and there's much different responses. I was asking people to stop and think what their comments could mean to someone who's a smoker. Just like people always say about a mum who is doing something you don't necessarily agree with.

For the record, I started smoking again after my son was born because it was my outlet when I was suffering with pnd and a screaming baby. If you knew that about that person you saw down the street smoking would you still make nasty comments as you walked past?

I don't know what the point of my post is, guess I am just trying to say stop being a vigilante and think how your actions could affect others

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    So very true. I know exactly how you feel. I'm starting to feel like I'm not as important of a person by these comments. Lucky we don't have to prove ourselves to others to know we are good people.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

munchkin275  (13-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I always see Coles and Woolies workers smoke outside and I can't say it has bothered me ever however if I see anyone in food smoke e.g. Chef, Baker, etc. I am grossed out a little not sure why. (In their uniform)

I find Smokers are pretty respectful these days.... EXCEPT my MOTHER and a couple of other family members they are the WORST!!! Always smoke around my babies can't stand it🙉

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fair points. I guess I have just never seen the effects of obesity / food addiction firsthand but have personal experience with the effects of smoking on others.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleyoop View Post

It seems I am doing something wrong even though I know I'm not. Seems all smokers are horrible people by some people's comments.
    I just want to give you a great big hug. You are not a horrible person - you are a kind, considerate, lovely person and smoking is just one small part of what you do. Its not who you are in any way and it doesn't make you less important than anyone else.

Some of these comments must be very difficult to read.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff  (14-07-2015),LoveLivesHere  (13-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-07-2015),TheGooch  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Likewise @meredithgrey
    I work in Aboriginal Health - in my clinic 22% of clients are diagnosed diabetics - probably another 22% undiagnosed.

Poor food education and choices, & remote location meaning fresh fruit and vegies are super expensive - chips n chocolate biscuits prices are comparable to the city, but cauliflower $10 each, bananas $15/kg etc.

Worst thing that has happened for us is we now have a hungry jacks - it has become staple food for some families

Chronic disease management is the boom industry in Health - truthfully although i don't agree with smoking, it is the smallest of my concerns as a nurse in Aboriginal Health.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kazzy36 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (14-07-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I'm going to ask this thread to be closed. It wasn't meant to upset anyone and I'm sorry it's taken this turn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Live and let live i say. If seeing someone smoke is the worst thing that happens in your day then your doing pretty amazing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    I just want to give you a great big hug. You are not a horrible person - you are a kind, considerate, lovely person and smoking is just one small part of what you do. Its not who you are in any way and it doesn't make you less important than anyone else.

Some of these comments must be very difficult to read.
    Some comments are hard but I'm just gonna take them on the chin.

Thank you so much for your beautiful kind words.