Closed Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    To be honest, I don't care how sh!tty someone's day is, go kill yourself by smoking but please do it somewhere that it's not going to kill me and my family.
    That's really horrible and hurtful.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

CompareTheMeerkat  (13-07-2015),munchkin275  (13-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-07-2015),Star Light  (14-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleyoop View Post
    Couldn't agree more with this. I've already said I'm a smoker and some of these comments are disgusting. I'm still a human being. I have feelings too. If someone where to say something to me in public (I smoke in designated spots) i honestly would tell them to shove it.
    Hugs!
    I haven't smoked in ten years but I don't have a problem with it at all!

You aren't doing anything illegal by smoking in designated areas.

I actually find some posts in this thread really shocking - I mean yeah I'd take issue if someone sparked up inside my house or car or blew smoke in my child's face but people smoking out in the open in designated areas? Doesn't bother me!

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (14-07-2015),Hasselhoff  (13-07-2015),LoveLivesHere  (13-07-2015),MsViking  (13-07-2015),munchkin275  (13-07-2015),Star Light  (14-07-2015),TheGooch  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleyoop View Post
    That's really horrible and hurtful.
    I'm sorry to have upset you. I just have zero sympathy for young smokers (under 40-ish). My parents generation (born in the 1950s) had no idea that smoking was so bad for them, but this younger generation knows how deadly it is and still chooses to take it up. I have a family member who took it up as a teen and continued to smoke even after being paid by their family to stop. They smoked all through their pregnancies, both children were born prematurely and have health issues, one child is impacted every waking minute of her life by her issues, most which doctors attribute to being born prematurely, which doctors attributed to her smoking. So I just can't force myself to forgive or have any sympathy for smokers when the effects are so profound on innocent others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry to have upset you. I just have zero sympathy for young smokers (under 40-ish). My parents generation (born in the 1950s) had no idea that smoking was so bad for them, but this younger generation knows how deadly it is and still chooses to take it up. I have a family member who took it up as a teen and continued to smoke even after being paid by their family to stop. They smoked all through their pregnancies, both children were born prematurely and have health issues, one child is impacted every waking minute of her life by her issues, most which doctors attribute to being born prematurely, which doctors attributed to her smoking. So I just can't force myself to forgive or have any sympathy for smokers when the effects are so profound on innocent others.
    I'm sorry for those children that is sad but well I'm one who you have no sympathy for. I'm 25 and smoked on and off for many years. I do my best to avoid smoking around people, not all smokers are horrible people but that seems to be a useless point because I'm a young smoker.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

CompareTheMeerkat  (13-07-2015),misskittyfantastico  (13-07-2015),munchkin275  (13-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-07-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    The thing is that most of us take it up as teens when we still have young brains. Addiction doesn't take long, and after that it's not as simple as just stopping. Even those who successfully quit often find themselves yearning for cigarettes years after.

I gave up for over five years. I didn't smoke during pregnancy. I struggle off and on now. I sometimes actually say to myself 'you are choosing cigarettes over your son' and when the addiction has taken over it means nothing in that moment. My own problem, yes, but it's an awful feeling.

I go through phases. At the moment I'm not smoking although I'm hanging for one after reading this thread!

So yes, I made a stupid choice as a 14 year old. But the repercussions will stay with me for life.

And most of us don't feel great about our addiction (massive understatement!) Being told we get what we deserve, we are disgusting, we get no sympathy etc even from random strangers is hurtful, no matter how we bring it on ourselves. That's why I think smokers can tend towards defensiveness when these sort of threads come up.

Sure, smokers that are inconsiderate and break the law are worthy of anger, but the fact is that it *is* legal to smoke in certain public places, and for those people who go out of their way to try to consider others, it is pretty yuck to not only deal with an addiction but to be treated like a second class citizen a lot of the time.

Not sure what my point is, except to say that I totally understand many of the viewpoints expressed here, but can also see how they are hurtful.

And to answer the OP, I would never ever smoke at work, even when on a break, especially not in a work uniform.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (13-07-2015),CompareTheMeerkat  (13-07-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (13-07-2015),Hasselhoff  (13-07-2015),misskittyfantastico  (13-07-2015),munchkin275  (13-07-2015),Star Light  (14-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Hugs!
    I haven't smoked in ten years but I don't have a problem with it at all!

You aren't doing anything illegal by smoking in designated areas.

I actually find some posts in this thread really shocking - I mean yeah I'd take issue if someone sparked up inside my house or car or blew smoke in my child's face but people smoking out in the open in designated areas? Doesn't bother me!
    Thank you for the hugs ☺️

It seems I am doing something wrong even though I know I'm not. Seems all smokers are horrible people by some people's comments.

Oh I'd flip my lid if anyone did those things! I've blown up at my mil for doing a few things similar. I'm glad someone can see that some of us are trying to do the right thing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    The thing is that most of us take it up as teens when we still have young brains. Addiction doesn't take long, and after that it's not as simple as just stopping. Even those who successfully quit often find themselves yearning for cigarettes years after.

I gave up for over five years. I didn't smoke during pregnancy. I struggle off and on now. I sometimes actually say to myself 'you are choosing cigarettes over your son' and when the addiction has taken over it means nothing in that moment. My own problem, yes, but it's an awful feeling.

I go through phases. At the moment I'm not smoking although I'm hanging for one after reading this thread!

So yes, I made a stupid choice as a 14 year old. But the repercussions will stay with me for life.

And most of us don't feel great about our addiction (massive understatement!) Being told we get what we deserve, we are disgusting, we get no sympathy etc even from random strangers is hurtful, no matter how we bring it on ourselves. That's why I think smokers can tend towards defensiveness when these sort of threads come up.

Sure, smokers that are inconsiderate and break the law are worthy of anger, but the fact is that it *is* legal to smoke in certain public places, and for those people who go out of their way to try to consider others, it is pretty yuck to not only deal with an addiction but to be treated like a second class citizen a lot of the time.

Not sure what my point is, except to say that I totally understand many of the viewpoints expressed here, but can also see how they are hurtful.

And to answer the OP, I would never ever smoke at work, even when on a break, especially not in a work uniform.
    Agree with everything. Always nod along to your posts when I see them harvs and you've said everything I feel and I'm sure many others do as well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

harvs  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm thinking my comment was misinterpreted in parts.

Smoking in an open air carpark is not yet illegal. Well not in the ACT or areas of SA that I have lived anyway. These were the comments that I was aiming my response at.

Some of these comments in here are hurtful, I make sure my son isn't exposed to second or third hand cigarette smoke which I am sure most of you also do. Just because I have an addiction from when I was a teenager (I grew up with a whole family of smokers so it was almost a given I'd take up at least at some point) doesn't mean that I'm dirty or grubby or a second class parent to my child.

I'm astounded at people's attitudes to smokers and yet I've seen threads about other addictions much much more harmful and there's much different responses. I was asking people to stop and think what their comments could mean to someone who's a smoker. Just like people always say about a mum who is doing something you don't necessarily agree with.

For the record, I started smoking again after my son was born because it was my outlet when I was suffering with pnd and a screaming baby. If you knew that about that person you saw down the street smoking would you still make nasty comments as you walked past?

I don't know what the point of my post is, guess I am just trying to say stop being a vigilante and think how your actions could affect others

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to munchkin275 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (14-07-2015),CompareTheMeerkat  (13-07-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (13-07-2015),Hasselhoff  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do you have the same attitude towards overweight people eating unhealthy food?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wdyt

Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Do you have the same attitude towards overweight people eating unhealthy food?
    Nope, who is that hurting / disadvantaging / killing? Just the person who's eating it.

ETA nutrition is also so much more complex whether than to smoke or not to smoke. There is so much more education and understanding required when making good food choices, yet everyone knows that smoking is incredibly bad for you. Also, you need to eat to live so I can totally understand how much more challenging it is for overweight people who have food addictions.

I just want to clarify that I don't dislike smokers, I dislike their smoking-related actions and choices.
    Last edited by JR03; 13-07-2015 at 19:09.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

yadot  (13-07-2015)

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast