Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't read the thread but to answer the ops question...
    I think the coles worker in uniform should have been well away from the shop while smoking. Personally I wish smoking was banned completely, nothing worse than smokers walking past etc having to inhale the smoke of their awful habit. Makes me feel sick!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Wowsers. I'm not sure why you are getting so irate. The thread asked for people's opinions. To address your points without telling you your argument is 'bloody ridiculous':

1) People in have said in varying degrees that they would be rude.

2) From what the OP has said, it wasn't illegal and everyone has clearly said smokers should be considerate, including me. Not sure where that argument is coming from.

3) I never mentioned being annoyed that anyone would be annoyed at the business nor boycott it. Their choice, consumer sovereignty and all that. Not sure where that come from.

4) You are deliberately misinterpreting my words. I'm not sure how else I can word it.

There are so many things in our world in every day of living our lives that are much more dangerous and toxic than a wiff of smoke. Yet we continue to do them. Because we can't live in a bubble.

5) Your rudeness in this thread at valid arguments has me surprised as is the way you've twisted what I've said. You are better than that too. People are allowed to disagree.

Anyhoo, I think I had better unsub to allow everyone to agree. Clearly my posts are unwanted so I'll just back out.
    I am sorry you are upset. I respect you.

I think it was extremely rude to to say it was overkill and over the top to be worried by a wiff of smoke that cause a child or adult to have a fatal asthma attack.

Please understand a wiff as you keep down playing it can freaking well cause some one to end up in hospital or a coffin. Like it or not this is a fact.

I have not misinterpreted your words or twisted your words. You have repeated in this post it's not as bad as other things therefore not a problem.

There was another posted who also said was overkill.

Overkill to say please smoke the required 4 mtrs away from buildings so people can get in and out without having to breathe in these preventable toxins. I don't believe it is. I am not taking any rights of smokers. I am not asking for them to banned.

Somethings in life can be prevented and this is one. I can't stop all the cars on road. I don't live in a city so my kids don't sit in bumper to bumper traffic. I can ask that the laws of the land be enforced so that I can enter a supermarket without having to worry that my child is going to have asthma attack.

This is what has ****ed me off. The idea that I am being over the top by asking that smokers abide by the law.
    I don't give dirty looks. I don't say nasty things. I just am aware of the risks of smoking.

I don't hate smokers. I hate that smokes are killing my dad. I hate that every time I see him his breathing is so much worse. I hate that these horrible addictive piece of evil have such a strong hold over good people. Just as my addictions have a have a grip on me.

I hate that smokes do kill people that have not made the decision to smoke them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read the whole thread but popping in to give my 2 cents anyway (probably a bit dangerous but her goes)

My nieces & DD have asthma. In my DDs case, any strong scent (purfume, Disinfectant, and especially smoke) cause 'issues'.

While I can control these things in my house, I can't control them out in public. However the only one of these things that cause problems in public is smoke, I assume because it is that irritating & toxic.

With the new smoking laws, smokers basically shouldn't be anywhere near public places, entries, exits, playgrounds etc and when they are and I can smell the smoke yes it bothers me.

Nothing bothers me more then turning up to ER with DD in another fit & seeing the nurses crowding the outside stairwells puffing away.. No choice there though I have to 'use their services'

I used to work for coles. They have firm rules about smoking. Must be 10m from entry & must have a jumper/shirt over their uniform.. and that was in 2008! Report to management?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BerryDelicious For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (13-07-2015),LoveLivesHere  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'll preface by saying I am a smoker, wish I wasn't but I'm trying. I am considerate, I don't smoke in my car or my house and I only ever smoke in designated areas, pick that as you will I don't care.

But I can't get past someone posting that they've put it in their employment contract about smoking and not smoking in work hours at all. The car and during open homes I get and covering uniform etc but I thought it was against fair work to actually stipulate that an employee couldn't smoke during their lunch break?? As an employer you don't have to provide extra breaks which is fair for productivity but stopping them from smoking in their lunch break in an area where it isn't open and obvious to incoming customers is a bit unfair and I'm sure can't be enforced.

To others that have said that they make comments to people smoking in carparks or make loud comments to their children, stop and think about it, they're smoking in an area in which its legal (which are few and far between) and probably feel sh!t enough as it is about their smoking habits, spiteful and stupid comments are not at all helpful, you have no idea what's going on in their life or their reasons why they may be having that cigarette which they more than likely already feel sh!t about.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to munchkin275 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (14-07-2015),CompareTheMeerkat  (13-07-2015),harvs  (13-07-2015),Hasselhoff  (13-07-2015),Lauzy  (13-07-2015),MsViking  (13-07-2015),Star Light  (14-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkin275 View Post

To others that have said that they make comments to people smoking in carparks or make loud comments to their children, stop and think about it, they're smoking in an area in which its legal (which are few and far between) and probably feel sh!t enough as it is about their smoking habits, spiteful and stupid comments are not at all helpful, you have no idea what's going on in their life or their reasons why they may be having that cigarette which they more than likely already feel sh!t about.

I can't speak for the other posters but I know at the shopping centre's in my area, there are no smoking signs plastered everywhere, so they're not actually smoking legally. To be honest, I don't care how sh!tty someone's day is, go kill yourself by smoking but please do it somewhere that it's not going to kill me and my family.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (13-07-2015),just her chameleon  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BerryDelicious View Post

I used to work for coles. They have firm rules about smoking. Must be 10m from entry & must have a jumper/shirt over their uniform.. and that was in 2008! Report to management?
    So did I. We never had any rules for smoking. Maybe it was just your store?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I'll preface by saying I am a smoker, wish I wasn't but I'm trying. I am considerate, I don't smoke in my car or my house and I only ever smoke in designated areas, pick that as you will I don't care.

But I can't get past someone posting that they've put it in their employment contract about smoking and not smoking in work hours at all. The car and during open homes I get and covering uniform etc but I thought it was against fair work to actually stipulate that an employee couldn't smoke during their lunch break?? As an employer you don't have to provide extra breaks which is fair for productivity but stopping them from smoking in their lunch break in an area where it isn't open and obvious to incoming customers is a bit unfair and I'm sure can't be enforced.

If your doing legally I agree that you shouldn't be given a hard time.

I brought up car parks because it is illegal to smoke in hospitals or public health places car parks under qld law. As a response to comments about dr and nurses etc smoking in hospital car parks , stairwells etc...

Qld is looking at changing the smoking laws again.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2...bans-cards-qld

Thanks
    Reviews

Couldn't agree more with this. I've already said I'm a smoker and some of these comments are disgusting. I'm still a human being. I have feelings too. If someone where to say something to me in public (I smoke in designated spots) i honestly would tell them to shove it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (14-07-2015),munchkin275  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Haha, I think this about the majority of the population - smokers or not! ☺️
    So do I. It's sort of my point. I guess after a few personal experiences I'm jaded about some smokers and their attitude. I don't lump all smokers in the same basket but I do find there are 2 distinct types of smokers. Those that are considerate and those that aren't. This that aren't, generally have an overall bad attitude.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Wdyt

But I can't get past someone posting that they've put it in their employment contract about smoking and not smoking in work hours at all. The car and during open homes I get and covering uniform etc but I thought it was against fair work to actually stipulate that an employee couldn't smoke during their lunch break?? As an employer you don't have to provide extra breaks which is fair for productivity but stopping them from smoking in their lunch break in an area where it isn't open and obvious to incoming customers is a bit unfair and I'm sure can't be enforced

That was me

They are not allowed to smoke in the office, in their car ( which is either a company car or we pay them car allowance) or in public while wearing their uniform with logos and badges on - there is no way I want my staff standing out the front of my office smoking or outside a clients home in front of other potential clients smoking while they are working ! Obviously I'm finally in the majority if this thread is anything to go by !

We put this clause in after one of our past salesgirls was a heavy smoker and when you got into her car it smelt disgusting - as a smoker I don't think she realised how bad it was and she is supposed to put potential clients in it!!!!!

We also have a duty of care to protect our other staff and clients

She used to smoke out in the back lane way ( where the public can't go) or would go to a park and smoke and never complained - we've never had any other smokers work for us

We also have a workplace alcohol and drug policy , as I would assume all employers would - they are very enforceable
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 13-07-2015 at 16:37.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (13-07-2015),KillerHeels  (13-07-2015)

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast