+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For us we investigated the avenues here in Australia and it seemed to be a choice between clinic recruited donors who are few and far between (over an 8 year waiting list at our clinic) or through an advocacy donor group. (There seems to be only one major one).
    Our experience with that group was less than favourable and showed many areas where recipients could and were being exploited by donors. It also became obvious that there was a 'core group' of donors and if they deemed you 'unworthy' then you had little hope of finding a donor. This bothered me on a number of levels including the idea that the majority of donor conceived children were all from a very small group of donors.
    I could go on but won't....
    I also liked the professional and efficient program that was run in SA (we went to CFC too).
    Timeframes were exceptionally good - you could cycle in just a matter of months. Which after years on the IVF treadmill was important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi blinky thanks for that. I have emailed the SA clinic a few question today and waiting to hear back. Have seen a few threads from people using Hawaii and Greece too. What made you decide to go to SA? just wondering if they have better success rate or something? i admire you so much for going back to SA for a second try! It was obviously worth it and I'm pleased for you with your BFP!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lolly99 For This Useful Post:

Blinky76  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren marie View Post
    Hi blinky thanks for that. I have emailed the SA clinic a few question today and waiting to hear back. Have seen a few threads from people using Hawaii and Greece too. What made you decide to go to SA? just wondering if they have better success rate or something? i admire you so much for going back to SA for a second try! It was obviously worth it and I'm pleased for you with your BFP!
    We looked at Spain,
    Czech, America, Thailand, Hawaii and Greece too.
    For us the cycle costs in Hawaii was too expensive.
    Czech, Spain and Greece didn't allow you to have much say in qualities or attributes. I.e you sent a picture and they chose your donor for you.
    Thailand didn't have a lot of Caucasian options and I was nervous about standard of care.
    SA stood out for us as
    A) I could work with a doctor who was involved in the first ever successful egg donor cycle - I wanted someone with that experience and knowledge helping us. And yes they do have a stand out success rate (60-70%)
    B) we could select our donor with the attributes we felt were important (for us it actually wasn't physical attributes that were important but rather medical history and genealogy (I wanted someone with a similar heritage as my own - Western European)
    C) ease of communication through the process (SA is predominantly English speaking) and an uncomplicated process.
    D)Cost was a factor. The cycle was well priced and affordable.
    E) great feedback and support from women on the SA thread

We did have to go twice to get our BFP but we never doubted the process. We are now 25 weeks with twins and so pleased we made the 'leap' after encouragement from our Australian FS. Cape Town is a beautiful city and a fabulous place to holiday!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Just starting our journey of finding someone to donate egg

Quote Originally Posted by lauren marie View Post
    For us it was also Caucasian donors and the fact that I'd read so many positive stories on Bub Hub about their experience in Sth Africa. I don't think we would have ever ventured there without that.

I personally also liked that the donors were paid a standard amount for their time and inconvenience. It wasn't so much a financial consideration for us but I just didn't like the idea that you were 'buying' eggs rather than it being an altruistic donation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi There LM welcome to B&H, there is a session for ED where you can place a thread searching for Egg Donor good luck with your search Jojo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Lauren, thanks for posting the question.. We are in the same boat and have only just started the process. The information provided by all is really useful.. For those who have had success at CFC is there a particular Doctor or agency you would recommend?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SalSA2015 View Post
    Hi Lauren, thanks for posting the question.. We are in the same boat and have only just started the process. The information provided by all is really useful.. For those who have had success at CFC is there a particular Doctor or agency you would recommend?
    All the doctors get Good results but I would personally recommend Dr Le Roux. I found his manner and temperament the best. (Very friendly, easy going, gives good honest feedback, is ok if you want to add things to their treatment plan eg immune protocols ). I believe Dr Wieswedel is also very good. Both these dr's were part of the team that performed the first successful ED pregnancy/birth in the world. (Dr W headed that team).

As for agencies - I found it best to join all the agencies (to get passwords for their database) and then Choose your agency based on which donor you want. For us it was Sunshine both times. Riki and her team were lovely. They made the whole process friendly and straight forward. They looked after our donor well by going to all appointments with her, teaching/helping her with all the medications ensuring she didn't miss any. They also accompanied her to EPU and brought her home afterwards - I liked that attention to detail. We met with Rikki in person while in Cape Town and she is just as lovely IRL. I also liked that her and her team had also donated in the past so knew the processes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi there B76 AND sal2015, good luck to you both Jojo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jo-anne.36 View Post
    hi there B76 AND sal2015, good luck to you both Jojo
    Thanks Jo-anne...
    We have actually been blessed with our first ever BFP and are now 26 weeks with twins from our trip to CFC!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Blinky76. Really appreciate you sharing info. All this is quite overwhelming for me..Good tip on getting usernames and passwords for all agencies. How long does the process normally take after you have selected donor? Also where did you stay in Cape Town?