+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I meant I agree with what you said not how you said it..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DrDrakeRamoray For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (10-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    People often ask questions on Bub Hub because they don't know what's normal / reasonable to expect from their children. Many people don't have exposure to children until they have their own and therefore a forum like this can be very useful.

No need to be mean with responses!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

jb23  (10-08-2015),Sonja  (10-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think it pays sometimes to realise that there is a real person at the end of the advice you are giving. You may find in real life people who know you appreciate your bluntness but I think online it always pays to tone it down. Two reasons really. First I tend to stop reading when I don't like the tone so the message is missed. Second you have no idea who is reading it and what sort of day (or life) they are having. I couldn't live with myself if my "blunt" advice pushed someone over the edge. Someone I didn't even know.

But that's me and what I've learned in my 44 years. I'll leave others to learn their own lessons.

6. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (10-08-2015),BH-KatiesMum  (11-08-2015),emena  (10-08-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (10-08-2015),Frankenmum  (10-08-2015),GreenMama  (10-08-2015),HeavenBlue  (11-08-2015),HollyGolightly81  (10-08-2015),jb23  (10-08-2015),LoveLivesHere  (10-08-2015),Mama Mirabelle  (10-08-2015),misskittyfantastico  (10-08-2015),Mokeybear  (10-08-2015),Olive Oil  (10-08-2015),Soon2be4  (10-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    And in response to the OP if she's happy to stay in her cot for over an hour until you rise then more power to you both. If however you are dealing with a distressed baby I suggest you adapt and just get up earlier. She's 6 months old. She is just a baby.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (10-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately I think it's in built into us- we are either morning people or we aren't, and this is evident from birth. I have an early riser and a night owl. One child crashes out at night, the other won't go to bed! The one that crashes out is up before the sun - the other I have to drag out of bed. My husband and I are the same - I have no issue getting up at 5am in the dark and quite like watching the sunrise from my kitchen - my husband only gets up when he has the least amount of time left to get ready for work.
    It sounds like OP likes to sleep late, which is fine - but is finding it tough adjusting to her new routine (I.e. Her baby that likes to wake early).
    Enough with the unsupportive smack downs, and more understanding would be nice on this forum.
    Sorry OP I have no advice except you may just need to go with the flow at the moment.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (10-08-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (10-08-2015),geisha88  (10-08-2015),JustJaq  (10-08-2015),Soon2be4  (10-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default 6 month old sleeps 11 hrs but then won't go back to sleep even when tired

Just want to say that if my babies were happy in their cots at 5:30 in the morning for half an hour or so, there's no way I was getting up at that time unless they were crying. And I am a morning person. Always up before 7am, except Sundays when all 5 of us snuggle together in bed.

Just want to let people know that @ means at, not and

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (11-08-2015),monkeymama  (10-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    OP I get it, I really do. Adjusting to a life with a new baby is hard. Sounds like you have a text book easy baby who sleeps well. I get that it's early for you and you want to 'fix' things. But I really don't think there's anything to fix. While life now for you is so much harder than it was pre-children, there are as you acknowledge parents who are in far worse situations sleep wise. That's where the nasty comments are coming from. A place of - wow you have it sooooooo much easier than most parents, there's nothing to complain about.

Unfortunately on BH some posters find it hard to be empathetic and post from a selfish point of view as your comments clearly upset them (and I can see why) but that's their issue, not yours.

Babies really don't understand that dark is for sleeping, they also have sleep biorhythms that are almost impossible to change when they sleep so well. It's not really until they're 2.5/3 that they actually understand that they must stay in their beds / cots and play quietly until mum or dad get them up. Leaving her in there won't teach her that. It may give you some extra sleep, but she's too young to learn about when she can and can't call out for you in the morning.

So my only solution is as others have said is to get to bed earlier or nap when she naps in the day. Try and embrace the changes she has brought to your life and every time she wakes earlier than you would like to get up, spare a thought for those of us with older babies who wake numerous times a night AND are up for the day at 6:00, it may make it easier to get up and embrace your new wake up time.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (10-08-2015),FearlessLeader  (10-08-2015),HollyGolightly81  (10-08-2015)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You know I completely understand where the nasty comments are coming from, as a mum of a horrendous sleeper. But I have so much sympathy for the OP. Some kids need LOTS of sleep. OP has said a few times that her baby is tired and cranky because of lack of sleep- just because 11 hours for a 6 month old is miraculous for many of us, some babies do actually need more.
    My two are polar opposites with sleep. DD needs very little sleep, fights it at every turn, takes forever to fall asleep, wakes constantly, wakes early. And yet is so cheerful and lovely in the day you sort of want to slap her.
    DS- loves sleep. Loves it. Will happily take himself to bed. Sleeps all night as soon as his head hits the pillow until we wake him at 7.30. When he still had naps he would sleep 3-4 hours a day. You mess with his sleep and you will be very, very sorry. I mean seriously. Keep him up 15 minutes later than bed time and he will pay you back tenfold the next day.
    So OP I understand completely why you are trying to get your baby back to sleep in the morning. You are most likely looking at her thinking 'you NEED more sleep! Why won't you sleeeep?!!' You know your baby. If you think she needs to go back to sleep after 5.30 or 6, then persist. If you genuinely think she needs more sleep, don't listen to anyone on the Internet who tells you otherwise. We are not the ones who have to put up with your tired cranky baby all day.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (10-08-2015),smallpotatoes  (11-08-2015)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, just read over your posts OP and it sounds like she may be getting ready to cut out that third nap. I found with DS that whenever he was ready to drop a nap his sleep went a bit haywire for a while. Maybe if you skipped the last nap and then put her down an hour early? Just hang in there, transitioning to less day sleeps is always a bit of a rocky road xx

18. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (10-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxybond View Post
    Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate it. It is a minor issue in the scheme of things as others have it much worse, but perhaps we can tweak things a bit.

She'll talk to herself or blow raspberries for a while after being put back to bed but then just cries if left in her cot, so I end up in her room from wake up until 7/7:30am until we're ready to start the day (also so we don't wake up my son or husband) in our small house.

She really needs her naps so cutting one out won't work. She's had days when she's missed a nap & it just made things worse!! Putting her to bed later doesn't help either as it means she's just feral for longer before bed & then takes longer to settle which then makes her wake up earlier & we still have this battle. Perhaps it's just her body clock for now?!! I'll hang in there & just prepare myself for this each day & continue to use our settling techniques, despite the battle.

Thanks again
    I haven't read through all the comments yet so haven't seen if this has been suggested or if you have stated you tried it. But have you tried putting her down at night a little earlier? My son was recently waking at 5am and putting him to sleep a half hour earlier saw him start sleeping until 6.30/7am. But now, after a holiday away we're back to 5.30am and I'm currently trying to decide if I need to tweak anything or if he just needs a little longer to get over the break in his routine and back into the swing of things. They're constantly changing the rules on us!

Another thing is that she may be going down for her morning nap too early or it is too long. Babies often wake earlier because of this because their little body knows that they get to back to sleep for a good sleep fairly soon after waking. Gradually pushing that out a little later will probably see her sleeping in a bit more.

All this said, I agree that 5am is too early and 7am is ideal but if you get her sleeping until 6am and she's happy then I don't think there's anything you can do. 6am may be 'too early' for you but it's a completely reasonable time for a baby to wake for the day.