+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6 month old sleeps 11 hrs but then won't go back to sleep even when tired

There are many more significant sleep problems affecting other families and I realise that I'm lucky to have a baby who sleeps this well, but nevertheless, this is a problem for us, so any advice or suggestions you can offer would be great.

I have a 6 month old DD who is a great baby & really good sleeper & goes to bed at 7/7:30pm each night after having between 2-3 good day naps.

The problem is that she then wakes anywhere from 5:30am/6am & then won't go back to sleep without a considerable fight, despite showing all the classic tired signs. She's been fed & changed so it's not that. Sometimes it's ended with me holding her until she goes to sleep & she'll then sleep for only 45-50 minutes (which is fine as by then, it's "normal" day wake up time).

I don't want to start the day at 6 am cause it's still dark & she needs more sleep, it's just a question of how do I make this happen?

I don't want to start the habit of holding her to sleep because she can self settle & we went through a rough settling patch at 3/4 months so I want to stick with the resettling technique I learnt & have successfully used since then (patting bottom, sshing whilst on her side).

Do I just ride it out until she can sleep a bit longer?

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    7/730 sleep through till 530/6 is awesome...
    At 6 months bubs should be sleeping 11-12 hours at night and 2-3 naps a day for 2-3 hours all up. Sounds like bub is doing this.
    My DD is 10.5 months and has always woken at 5/530. Its only in the last couple of weeks she has been sleeping till 630

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    unfortunately sometimes bubs will determine what time they want to get up for the day.

if she is sleeping through the night, I would take that as a win

its hard though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Your situation sounds like heaven to me! My dd is 1 and I haven't had more than 5 hours consecutive sleep in the last year and no more than 3 in the last 6 months.

Nevertheless I get what you mean about it being a problem for you. What if you try putting her to bed an hour later? Does that change her wake up time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is she happy to chill out and play quietly in her cot?? My DD, even at that age, would show tired signs but wouldn't sleep, she just needed quiet time on her own. I started implementing between 7PM and 7am there was no getting up except for a nappy change/bottle and quick cuddle, then back to bed. She could choose to go to sleep or play with her toys for a bit, but before 7am the day didn't start. She needed to be able to see me though, so I used to sit in bed with a coffee and read the news. I started it when she was 7 weeks though, so not sure if that helped or not.
    Recently we had some sleep issues, but I figured out the cats were getting under her cot and playing/attacking her at night. As soon as that was fixed she went back to being happy to chill out until it was time for the day to start.

Eta: She was never left to cry. If she got upset she got up for a quick cuddle then went back to bed once she'd calmed down and was happy again. I just made sure she could always see/hear me and always explained it was still bed time (whether she could understand or not). Took a week or two before I could leave the room in that time period but was worth it.
    Last edited by Jennaisme; 12-07-2015 at 11:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you could try cutting down her day time nap. Maybe wake up up a little earlier for her last nap and see if she makes up that time the next morning.

Getting up at 5:30 every day sounds horrible to me too. I know it might be really normal in babyland but I don't cope well with it at all either. If you gently change other parts of her sleeping routine you may be able to stretch her out in the mornings.

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    She isn't getting too cold at this time of the morning is she causing her to wake that bit earlier?

I think around 5am is the coldest part of the night so that might be causing it if she previously slept through...

Or as PP suggested try cutting her day sleeps a bit?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate it. It is a minor issue in the scheme of things as others have it much worse, but perhaps we can tweak things a bit.

She'll talk to herself or blow raspberries for a while after being put back to bed but then just cries if left in her cot, so I end up in her room from wake up until 7/7:30am until we're ready to start the day (also so we don't wake up my son or husband) in our small house.

She really needs her naps so cutting one out won't work. She's had days when she's missed a nap & it just made things worse!! Putting her to bed later doesn't help either as it means she's just feral for longer before bed & then takes longer to settle which then makes her wake up earlier & we still have this battle. Perhaps it's just her body clock for now?!! I'll hang in there & just prepare myself for this each day & continue to use our settling techniques, despite the battle.

Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bettyv, that sounds awful. Have you been in touch with a sleep consultant? Perhaps they could help. I'm happy to email you the plan that we use

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bettyv, that sounds awful. Have you been in touch with a sleep consultant? I'm happy to email you the plan that we use if you're interested? That sounds like hell, I feel for you...