+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have you tried a different type of bottle?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Or try different kinds of teats. You could try warming the teat in warm boiled water to soften it up a bit first just prior to feeding bub.

Or put some BM on the teat to see if that will encourage bub to drink the bottle.

I also hope you get whatever it is sorted so you're 100% fighting fit again Luv😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a hard situation for you- sending healing thoughts to you.

Just a few thoughts:
    - could you try a sippy cup or open cup instead of a bottle?
    -the Australian breastfeeding association have a 24. Hr helpline and there are trained counsellors on there. You could give them a call for more specific advice, and they might have other ideas too?

I hope you can get a plan in place ok soon. xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Try a faster flow teat too. Sometimes the teats are too slow compared to the breastmilk.

I have fingers crossed everything goes well for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misscheekysmum View Post
    I think it's the bottle he is confused with aswell. He try's to chew on the teat. Having said that he had taken a bottle before from DH but with ebm in it and only when I wasn't home.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes
    I haven't had to wean suddenly, but have always struggled to get my little ones to take a bottle from about 4 months old.
    I would suggest doing most (if not all) feeds with your DH giving EBM in a bottle if you can, then hopefully he will get used to the bottle, then try changing to formula.
    What a stressful time, wishing you all the best x.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to do this when DS was 4 months old as I had to go on a medication I couldn't BF on. We basically weaned cold turkey, DS actually took to it fairly quickly once he got hungry. Before hand he would not take a bottle at all so I was relieved. I think I cried for 2 days straight though it was horrible, then one week later it turned out the doctor had made a big mistake and I didn't need to go on the meds, but by that time DS refused the breast 😢 I still get angry when I think about it and he's nearly 3 now! I majorly distrust GP's since then...
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry no advice just sending virtual hugs for such a hard situation. My dd is 13 months and I still worry that something might show up on my ultrasound and need radioactive treatment and have to wean suddenly (eventhough I'm in remission 4 years!) but one thing to remember is that babies are way more resilient than we realise. Like you said you have no choice you have to wean and your baby will take formula but may protest at first. All the best hope surgery is enough for you :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    Just a thought, (only if you are up to it), I would continue to pump after you start chemo and just tip the milk down the sink. Obviously don't give your baby the milk. If you go cold turkey on the pumping when you start chemo you could wind up with mastitis. I would look at gradually decreasing the frequency and amounts you pump to decrease your supply slowly and avoid any probs.
    This is good advice, the last thing you need is an infection if you're on chemo.