+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to wean urgently

My DS is 5.5months fully breastfed and occasional fed expressed bm if I have gone out.

I have been advised by my Dr's to wean my ds to formula as there is possibility that I will will be having chemo or radiation in the next few weeks that is not going to be suitable for breastfeeding. That's the worse case scenario but definitely a possibility.

If not that scenario then I will be having surgery and require hospital time away from my baby, unsure on what medications i may be prescribed for this.
    With everything that's going on I don't think I'm going to have the time to continue to pump for him to have enough expressed bm for while I'm gone. He will not drink it if it had been frozen.

This could all happen as soon as 2 weeks away and I want to start weaning to be prepared if I have to start treatment straight away. Or if I get called in to appointments with not much notice.

How do I this? I don't want to upset my baby and cause him distress but unfortunately I don't have a choice.

My DH has tried unsuccessfully with formula over the last few days, DS just won't drink it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Firstly, I hope you can get everything sorted with your health.

When I weaned my daughter off breast milk at a similar age, she hated the first formula I tried, but with the second (Heinz Nurture) I mixed 1/4 formula with 3/4 bm for a few days, then 1/2 formula, 1/2 bm, until after about a week it was full formula. This will also let your breasts slowly reduce the amount of milk they're producing.

I'm not sure whether this is your first child, if it is, be ready for a fairly sudden emotional period as your hormones go crazy.

Good luck for the next couple of weeks!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (11-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did what @JR03 did.
    I started decreasing the regularity with pumping. I went from every 3 hours...to in the morning and at night and usually one other.
    I then mixed EBM with formula. Just like pp did pretty much.
    It actually only took about to week for my body to catch up to what was going on. And then i just decreased from there.

Sorry to hear you are facing some serious health issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you.

So would I be better to start by trying to do all feeds expressed bf and then mixing formula/bm and gradually reducing amount of bm until all formula.

How would I start this? Just start pumping when I normally would feed him and then feed him the expressed milk?

Sorry my head is about all over the place I just don't know where to start

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't weaned suddenly before but I would try different formulas and maybe mix feed to start

I hope everything is ok for you xx

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

I dont have any advice - just wanted to post you some and best wishes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had to wean suddenly due to health issues with DD. it was hard because she had to go cold turkey. She screamed and refused the bottle. She cried for me to BF when I held her. DH ended have to be the one to try and feed her.

But in the end, she was hungry and took it even though she hated it because she had no choice. It was horrible and I felt awful but she wasn't going to starve.

My point is, even if you have to stop abruptly your DS will be okay, he will feed eventually.

I'd do as PP have said. Pump and each feed add a tiny bit of formula until the bottles are all formula. If you do it very gradually he won't even notice.

Is it the milk or the bottle he doesn't like? Or both?

I hope you are okay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS just started taking formula very easy. Have you tried that? Just give a bottle of formula and see what happends. My DS was about 4 months and loved it. Good luck with everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's the bottle he is confused with aswell. He try's to chew on the teat. Having said that he had taken a bottle before from DH but with ebm in it and only when I wasn't home.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    My DS just started taking formula very easy. Have you tried that? Just give a bottle of formula and see what happends. My DS was about 4 months and loved it. Good luck with everything.
    My DH has tried over the last 2 days with formula bottles but he just won't drink it. He just plays with the test in his mouth and tries to chew it. I think he is very confused