+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Thanks we can't believe it either!!!

Advice has been pretty consistent which is good. And I had access to an LC today and I think I'll follow through with that again and at home.

Their suggestions have been to get her to open wider by brushing her bottom lip to my nipple, football hold, sitting in s chair with a foot stool, take her off when it hurts - which is every time she latches, getting her to widen her mouth before latching - I actually think this could be the key.

I feel like there's so many things to co-ordinate and that's when I get flustered.
    It really is overwhelming trying to co-ordinate it all, I needed DH to help latch DD on for the first few days because I needed four hands!
    I just wanted to say that I'm here for you on BH or FB anytime xx

2. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

babyla  (12-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi I am going through similar issues with my 9 day old baby girl. Haven't resolved things yet but what has helped are hydrogel breast discs (rite aid brand) for the cracked/sore nipples. Wow. Within a couple of hours the cracks started healing. 48 hrs later they are totally gone. The other thing we tried is expressing for a few minutes before starting a feed - my breasts are too full which is making it hard for her to get on. Also have used a nipple shield for last 7 feeds and all were successful long feeds latching straight on. If we can keep that up I'm happy to keep using the nipple shield for a few more weeks and try without it as we get better at things. My baby is still in hospital so I'm getting a lot of help with feeding which is great. All the best I fully sympathize this is so hard. Get all the help you can to keep going.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

babyla  (12-07-2015),GemJane  (06-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had crazy sore nipples for the first 10 or so days although the midwives kept telling me the latch looked 'ok'. I think the idea that breastfeeding isn't meant to hurt is a myth, well for the first couple of weeks anyway. I used a nipple shield on a badly cracked nipple and RiteAid hydrogel breast disks on both nipples (like what gingermillie recommended) for about two weeks and they made things bearable. Baby is now three weeks old, my nipples are desensitised and feeding no longer hurts.

I'm no expert though! It would be good to ask the midwives and LC to watch as many feeds as possible.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

babyla  (12-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS2 looked to have a perfect latch, but had a posterior tongue tie and upper lip tie, and caused me so much pain! Make sure someone who knows about tongue ties has had a good look in bub's mouth.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

babyla  (12-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I had crazy sore nipples for the first 10 or so days although the midwives kept telling me the latch looked 'ok'. I think the idea that breastfeeding isn't meant to hurt is a myth, well for the first couple of weeks anyway. I used a nipple shield on a badly cracked nipple and RiteAid hydrogel breast disks on both nipples (like what gingermillie recommended) for about two weeks and they made things bearable. Baby is now three weeks old, my nipples are desensitised and feeding no longer hurts.

I'm no expert though! It would be good to ask the midwives and LC to watch as many feeds as possible.
    I kind of feel its a bit of a myth too. I have started using the gel pads which are great!

LC said I'm getting her on great which was good to hear but she is only just 38 weeks and her mouth and gape is still very small which is impacting how deeply she can latch. My nipple is coming out flattened with a ridge. It's super painful.

I'm just looking at it as one feed at a time. I've also started hand expressing to top up after the next feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Hi I am going through similar issues with my 9 day old baby girl. Haven't resolved things yet but what has helped are hydrogel breast discs (rite aid brand) for the cracked/sore nipples. Wow. Within a couple of hours the cracks started healing. 48 hrs later they are totally gone. The other thing we tried is expressing for a few minutes before starting a feed - my breasts are too full which is making it hard for her to get on. Also have used a nipple shield for last 7 feeds and all were successful long feeds latching straight on. If we can keep that up I'm happy to keep using the nipple shield for a few more weeks and try without it as we get better at things. My baby is still in hospital so I'm getting a lot of help with feeding which is great. All the best I fully sympathize this is so hard. Get all the help you can to keep going.
    The gel discs are amazing! Instant relief!

I tried a shield today but still had the same pain but will try again soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babyla is the lc you are seeing internationally board certified? I found that most of the lc's i saw who werent (ie mostly the free child health nurses who were also lc's) were just not helpful, they also told me the latch was fine & some even said i just had to toughen up. I paid for a private ibclc & she was amazing. Actually listened & took the fact that it hurt seriously & we worked through it.

I fed with nipple shields for 6 months & it still hurt every feed, but at least ds wasnt shredding my nipples

Good luck!!! I hope it improves soon!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

babyla  (12-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Babyla is the lc you are seeing internationally board certified? I found that most of the lc's i saw who werent (ie mostly the free child health nurses who were also lc's) were just not helpful, they also told me the latch was fine & some even said i just had to toughen up. I paid for a private ibclc & she was amazing. Actually listened & took the fact that it hurt seriously & we worked through it.

I fed with nipple shields for 6 months & it still hurt every feed, but at least ds wasnt shredding my nipples

Good luck!!! I hope it improves soon!
    Thanks @heartstringz I'm not sure tbh she's at the hospital I'm in. I will look into that when I'm out though.

When did it stop hurting for you? What was the reason it hurt?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats! My advise, and you know we had similar experiences, if it doesn't feel right take her off & start again, wait till her mouth is really wide... I had one great side with DD & the other hurt all the time, k think it was the angle or something, anyway, one visit with my LC & I could feel it getting better during the feed, just by getting the latch perfect... Something she taught me was don't tolerate the pain, if it's not right then take bub off & start again... It took me a while to get that dude right but once I did I could instantly tell as there was no pain... Wishing you so much good luck!! You're doing really well, the first few days can be so hard!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Still not entirely sure why it hurt, even the ibclc wasnt sure - for some reason he couldnt maintain his latch & he wouldnt/couldn't open his mouth wide enough.

With the help of the ibclc we were able to wean off the shields at around 6 months & it stopped hurting soon after that. His mouth was bigger i think & things just seemed to 'gel' more. Hes 1 now & we've had challenges with biting & scraping teeth but other than that no pain.

I hope it works out for you & if it doesn't thats ok too - do what is best for you, your baby & your mental health! Although im so proud that im still breastfeeding after all the issues, i do believe it contributed to my pnd.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

babyla  (12-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-07-2015)