+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Latch issues...

Anyone who knows me knows I previously had a crappy bf experience with my DS.

I had my new baby girl yesterday - beyond smitten!!! And the first 5-6 feeds went swimmingly. She latched straight out of theatre, no pain, it was such a sigh of relief.

Then today Ye olde latch issues have hit like a Mack truck without brakes! It's painful and every feed she comes off with my nipple flattened.

I really want to persist because it has started out so well. What do I need to do? Every single attempt has been painful, do I keep feeding as long as I can bear it and hope the next feed we get it right? I am getting great help from midwives and lactation consultants but they seem a bit miffed too...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    The biggest thing that helped me with poor attachment was different positioning - basically until I figured out laying down on my side and feeding, I was in agony but you've just had a c-section so laying on your side aint gonna happen. Have you tried other holds, like the football hold? If you google kellymom attachment and positioning, you should find a few good tips about different holds.
    I also think that nipple shields can be a godsend in situations like these and personally would give them a try. IMO you want to try and prevent any more nipple trauma and try and give them a break when you can. Are the middies and LCs miffy at you? If they are, ignore it and just keep demanding help.
    Good luck xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

babyla  (11-07-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Congratulations!! I can't believe you have had her already!
    A few thoughts:

May I ask what the midwives suggest you do to correct her latch?

Are the midwives giving you conflicting advice?

Have you been offered, or does your hospital even offer anyone the opportunity to access a LC? (Mine was brilliant but I suspect I was pampered a bit as I thought it was standard practice for every mother who decides to bf to be given access to an LC, but it turns out it was just the community I lived in... )

Definitely try the feeding in a lying down tummy to tummy like suggested above. It helped me a lot when I was still learning to feed my boys.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

babyla  (11-07-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Oh and- if you are choosing to sit up straight- are your knees at 90 degrees and do you have a feeding pillow, wedge or similar?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

babyla  (11-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Kellymom seems not be working for me ATM but this ABA link has some basic different positions etc...
    https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfi...achment-breast

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

babyla  (11-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, so sorry to hear you're having latch problems. I'm sure the lactation consultant will be able to see if there's anything you can do to get a better latch - but in the meantime, one of the things I found helped with getting a better latch was to make sure the nipple was getting right in the back of bub's mouth by making sure the bottom of the areola was near bubs bottom lip and that the nipple was virtually pointing up bub's nose before it went in their mouth (so tricky to describe - some pictures that are similar to what helped me are here http://unboundbirth.com/wp-content/u...nt-diagram.jpg )

And as the others have suggested, changing the hold (using football hold) really helped in making sure it wasn't the same part of the nipple getting squashed each feed.

Good luck - hope some of that is helpful!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gumnut babies For This Useful Post:

babyla  (11-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    The biggest thing that helped me with poor attachment was different positioning - basically until I figured out laying down on my side and feeding, I was in agony but you've just had a c-section so laying on your side aint gonna happen. Have you tried other holds, like the football hold? If you google kellymom attachment and positioning, you should find a few good tips about different holds.
    I also think that nipple shields can be a godsend in situations like these and personally would give them a try. IMO you want to try and prevent any more nipple trauma and try and give them a break when you can. Are the middies and LCs miffy at you? If they are, ignore it and just keep demanding help.
    Good luck xx
    I think they're a bit like well it looks good, sounds good so bit miffed that it's hurting every time. I've been s lot more up front this time asking for help which is good. Funnily enough all the successful feeds were me lying down after to csection so I'm going to give this a go next feed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gumnut babies View Post
    Hi, so sorry to hear you're having latch problems. I'm sure the lactation consultant will be able to see if there's anything you can do to get a better latch - but in the meantime, one of the things I found helped with getting a better latch was to make sure the nipple was getting right in the back of bub's mouth by making sure the bottom of the areola was near bubs bottom lip and that the nipple was virtually pointing up bub's nose before it went in their mouth (so tricky to describe - some pictures that are similar to what helped me are here http://unboundbirth.com/wp-content/u...nt-diagram.jpg )

And as the others have suggested, changing the hold (using football hold) really helped in making sure it wasn't the same part of the nipple getting squashed each feed.

Good luck - hope some of that is helpful!
    Thank you! I think this is part of the problem - not getting her mouth to open wife enough for a deeper latch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    Congratulations!! I can't believe you have had her already!
    A few thoughts:

May I ask what the midwives suggest you do to correct her latch?

Are the midwives giving you conflicting advice?

Have you been offered, or does your hospital even offer anyone the opportunity to access a LC? (Mine was brilliant but I suspect I was pampered a bit as I thought it was standard practice for every mother who decides to bf to be given access to an LC, but it turns out it was just the community I lived in... )

Definitely try the feeding in a lying down tummy to tummy like suggested above. It helped me a lot when I was still learning to feed my boys.
    Thanks we can't believe it either!!!

Advice has been pretty consistent which is good. And I had access to an LC today and I think I'll follow through with that again and at home.

Their suggestions have been to get her to open wider by brushing her bottom lip to my nipple, football hold, sitting in s chair with a foot stool, take her off when it hurts - which is every time she latches, getting her to widen her mouth before latching - I actually think this could be the key.

I feel like there's so many things to co-ordinate and that's when I get flustered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations on the arrival of your little bundle!!
    Has she been checked for a tongue or lip tie?
    It could also be that your attachment is fine now but wasn't for a couple of feeds and there is nipple damage as a result which is causing you pain.
    I hope it sorts itself soon for you.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bun For This Useful Post:

babyla  (12-07-2015)