+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default What age did your kids get their own breakfast?

And use the toaster? DS usually puts the toast in and I get it out and sometimes he spreads the avo or almond butter on but I'm thinking he could do it all by himself really ( he's 5 in October) but DH thinks he's too young to use the toaster by himself - what age did your kids use it and what age did they start using the stove ( I think he's too young now to use the stove !)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What age did your kids get their own breakfast?

I think that age is ok, as long as he knows not to put anything in the toaster but bread (no knives, etc) and can reach it, I don't see why he couldn't use it with supervision.

ETA whoops just saw that this was aimed at people who's kids already use the toaster!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DS1 is going on 7 and we've just begun this now.
    Easy things like cereal, and toast.
    Although I butter it for him. Control freak! hehe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds has just turned 6 and he usually has either porridge or eggs of some form for breakfast, so I always get it for him. I would trust him with a toaster, I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    DS1 was a similar age when he started using the toaster. He doesn't generally have toast for breakfast though so he's been getting his own breakfast some days since he was 2.5/3. (I set it up at that age so it was easy for him)
    He now gets breakfast for him and DS2 if I haven't gotten up yet and I don't have to set anything up because he can pour from the big milk jug now.

Back to the toast, he still doesn't really like getting it out so I will do that when he asks and then he butters it. I wouldn't let him use the stove alone yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Elijahs mum, this has come up in our house recently- my boys are 7 and 8. Last week, when I was there, the toast burnt as the setting had been turned up. My boys are not ready to use the toaster on their own. If it happened again, even though I have explained it many times and they are trustworthy, I am not sure they would know what to do if there was smoke etc, and toasters can go bad so quickly!. I am happy for them to make their own cereal, yoghurt, or grab a carrot from the fridge, but no electrical appliances without supervision yet. They do cook a lot with me, and I supervise my older one cooking dinner for us eg: grilled chicken and salad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd is 2.5 she gets her own breakfast (not cooking toast etc) but she does serve her own breakfast. She knows to get milk out of the fridge and bowls etc. she also gets measuring cup out of container for cereal or whatever she chooses.

If it's beans or whatever I pull the lid and she will empty it and then I will heat it. She will walk it to her table and then eat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD started with the toaster at about 7, she's now 11, and it's only the last year or 2 I feel comfortable to not be in the room with her while she makes her toast, but I'm a bit of a control freak where the kids are concerned.

The stove she has been using for almost a year, she'll heat milk for her breakfast, make popcorn and things like that, she knows how to make awesome crepes, I've never let her fry an egg or something that could potentially have oil spraying out of the pan. She can now use the stove for these things while I'm still in bed on the weekends.
    Soon we'll move up to something more using the stove.
    Recently she set fire to a tea towel, I was in the kitchen and she was all chatty not paying attention, it really freaked her out how quickly it can happen, so that's made her extra precautions.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (11-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    my dd is 5 & no way would I let her use the toaster, kettle, microwave or oven unsupervised.

She uses the toaster, oven & dishwasher supervised with instructions.

She allowed to make herself a sandwich, pour a bowl of cereal and pour herself a drink unsupervised. Thats about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My eldest 3 can get their own breakfast (12, 8, 5) BUT I prefer to do it as I am a control freak when it comes to mess 😀

I supervise the use of the stove with all but my eldest and only in the last year have I let him do it alone. He is off with the pixies far too often to make it safe before now.