+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Have you ever gazumped someone in real estate?

Well, I had my hopes up again today that there was a property that we could buy and had an inspection lined up, THEN the agent at the end of a call says "Oh, by the way there has been an offer accepted and a pest and building carried out, the owners just have to sign the contract".

Out of morals DH cancelled us looking at the property even though there will still be at least one other buyer going through tomorrow.

What would you have done? Have you ever gazumped someone or been gazumped (offer accepted and inspections done)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. Unfortunately I have. I always thought looking for houses would be fun but it's horrible! I feel for you!

Good luck finding your new home

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Once Upon a Time View Post
    Yep. Unfortunately I have. I always thought looking for houses would be fun but it's horrible! I feel for you!

Good luck finding your new home
    I'm REALLY over it to be honest. We've been so close so many times. It's now been 1.5 years that we've been seriously looking and started making offers a year ago.

Hope you finally found what you were looking for!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Until the contract is exchanged legally any one can still make an offer, it's up to the owners to choose to accept the higher offer or not so I would still look - even just to see what the house is like - plus you never know the buyer can always change their mind until exchange

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    I'm REALLY over it to be honest. We've been so close so many times. It's now been 1.5 years that we've been seriously looking and started making offers a year ago.

Hope you finally found what you were looking for!
    We didn't. We've decided to build instead!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Until the contract is exchanged legally any one can still make an offer, it's up to the owners to choose to accept the higher offer or not so I would still look - even just to see what the house is like - plus you never know the buyer can always change their mind until exchange
    Okay. I'll have a chat to DH. He figures that he would be upset if it happened to him so he prefers not to do it to others. I don't know if I'll be able to change his mind - we were going to try and get a look today. (We looked at two others today - one was quite small with view of building on and the other ended up having quite a lot of very high retaining walls that needed replacing and no yard.) It is the third house in a row that has been in this position with not even 'under offer' on the website. Many agents are leaving stock up for sale that has even been under contract for some time.

I wonder if the RE will be one that discloses how much has been offered - we've come across agents that will go either way.

It is a lovely house, nice size, good age. AND...we'd have money left over to start enjoying life and send the kids wherever we wanted. Hmmm.

Looking at another already tomorrow but it appears to need some work - can see some water damage from the outside on the fascia already. Seems to have been a rental.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We didn't. We've decided to build instead!

We spent a few hours looking at land today too! ...but it was all near high voltage wires.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    what state are you in? I thought gazumping was banned in Vic?? house hunting is a huge pain in the rear. we were lucky to get the first place we were serious about and our offer was accepted right away. but the gazumping angle would make things ridiculously unfair. how disheartening for you. are you using a buyers agent? we used one and he was great. pretty sure we got the place because of him. not cheap but we built his fee into our budget.

good luck finding a place! when the right place comes along, it will become yours. well that's what I kept telling myself during the process. if it's meant to be, it will be

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    We spent a few hours looking at land today too! ...but it was all near high voltage wires.
    We changed the whole plan. We were looking at inner Brisbane houses and now we're building way out of the city where we can build what we want. We'll have to move in closer again before the kids get to high school though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We changed the whole plan. We were looking at inner Brisbane houses and now we're building way out of the city where we can build what we want. We'll have to move in closer again before the kids get to high school though.
    Yes - we've just expanded our search to include an extra 4 suburbs (the outer suburbs plus a couple more south). Which would mean the kids moving schools.