+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gumnut babies View Post
    My hot tip is: fold as little as possible! No one's clothes get folded in this house - just put in drawers. I would lose my mind if I tried to fold everything!
    Don't that get wrinkly?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I do laundry up to 4 times a week.

Day 1- a load of colours, a load of darks
    Day 2- mostly dry stuff is chucked in dryer for 20 mins, folded and put away
    Day 3- whites, towels
    Day 4- like 2
    Day 5- colours, darks
    Day 6- like 2 and 4
    Day 7- linen, whites

The kids clothing, once dry, is chucked on their beds. They sort, fold and put away.

If I have a lot of washing and they are taking ages to dry (hi winter!), I fold and put in a basket to be put away later. Never takes more than 3 days, as I store it in our room and get sick of tripping over it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha - re:wrinkles: I can live with it! well worth it to not spend my life folding. And honestly it's not that noticeable!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use 2 clothes horses to hang up clothes and always fold and put away before hanging out new washing. I have learned the hard way if I don't do this I invariably get a never ending mountain of clothes in a basket to put away.

I also hang some of our clothes on hangers on the line and then just hang them straight in the cupboard to avoid ironing and save time. I also rarely buy clothes that don't pass the "scrunch test" as I hate ironing with a passion.

ETA - for big items like doonas etc, I just take a big load to wash and dry at a laundromat, ends up saving time as you get fit a lot more in an industrial machine and you can dry a lot quicker.
    Last edited by DailyDiversion; 10-07-2015 at 19:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take off the line in the order that you will put things away and fold into the basket, DD's bottom drawer, second drawer, top drawer, her hangers, then my bottom drawer, second drawer ... and put pants straight onto a hanger once they're dry. Use hangers for everything that will end up on a hanger. I only iron a few work shirts. And don't fall for 'dry clean only' except if it's the type of silk that 'breaks' or viscose, the rest can usually be handwashed. Check the labels at the shop before you buy.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Laundry Hacks

Some very good tips!

I am definitely doing the hang things on hangars on the line. I can't believe I never thought of that.

I don't iron and the term folded is used quite loosely!

Laundry is my most detested chore, I'd clean toilets all day over laundry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wash once a week - two or three loads (more if sheets/towels). I get it all done during the day (we're in an apartment so all goes in the dryer, can't dry outside and clothes horse only holds so much). I pile it all into a basket during the day as it's dry and then sit down that night and fold while I watch TV. I put it back in the basket in piles of each room and then in the morning just walk around with the basket and put away. Generally it works well, still have occasional mount foldmore when I get slack and push it into the corner and don't bother!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (11-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Set machine to come on at 5am and hang out when I wake up

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (11-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my I wash at least five loads a day and iron everything and I mean everything hate laundry but only have myself to blame with four kids and a baby and hubby's work gear it's never ending..........I shall be following some amazing advice from you guys to make life easier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I make my kids help. That's my biggest tip!
    Even when they are little they can help, for eg if you have a mountain of washing, they can divide it into piles of each persons clothes, I find it easier to keep motivated when it's divided up like that. Teach them how to pair socks; while folding, I throw all the socks to my youngest, and he goes through the pile and pairs them.
    I've taught them all how to fold their clothes, my youngest isn't fabulous at it, but at least I'm not doing it lol. Hanging up things is harder, but they're learning. I also have little step stools in their room so that they can reach properly, and I got rid of all the cr@ppy wire coat hangers that get tangled and bought more solid ones as it's easier for them.
    When they were younger, and still sometimes now, I will fold their clothes for them, put them all in neat little piles of each clothing type on the lounge, and then they just have to put them away. I put them on the lounge too, so that they don't have anywhere comfy to sit until they put their washing away.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

DT75  (12-07-2015)