+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Laundry Hacks

I feel like my life is an endless grind of laundry. It's relentless.

I always decide the sheets need changing on wet days to justify using the dryer, I'm so over hanging out washing!

I'm looking at Mt Foldmore and I just can't be bothered.

Any hacks?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I need hacks too.
    Finally got around to washing the spare doonas because we are FREEZING here, only to hear the rain bucketing down on them now.
    There were almost dry too.
    I could cry.

We don't have a dryer but I'm seriously considering getting one with the way things are lately.
    Yeah we get a lot of rain but it's also that I don't always get the time to do regular laundry. Usually it's four loads high before I get to it and then, without fail, it will rain for three days straight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Things that seem to work at the moment are ensuring I have clothes the right way out (not inside out) before washing. And when I take it off the line I fold it then. That way, even if it's in the basket for days, it doesn't get all wrinkled and not such a big task when putting it away.

I also put a small cheap clothes line for the wall in the garage for rainy days. Got it from Bunnings and was definitely worth it. This has been great when raining because I can just leave it on the line for days without worrying about rain.

I try to buy clothes that are easy to wash, no delicate stuff or stuff that doesn't need ironing if I can avoid it.

I put a load on before bed normally and hang it up in the morning. But if it's been a busy week, I just do it all in one morning.

I have got to a point now where I don't have to separate whites and reds, wash on cold and never had the colour run. I just make sure I was new items by themselves a few times when used.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only do washing every second day, and I do three loads - towels, clothes and hubby's work uniforms.
    God I hate housework, between that, dishes and picking up toys I feel like it's all I do 😔

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's my advice..

If you start the laundry, finish the job. By that I mean, wash, dry, fold and put away. If you leave it half done, you'll end up with a mount foldmore that will become a big chore.

Do a load every day. If you do whites (I include pale pinks and baby blues with the whites) one day, towels the next, dark colours the next and a load of sheets on day 4, I'm all covered. I also do a separate load of delicates on one of those days, but the delicates I dry on a clothes horse inside.

Also, a clothes horse under a fan will dry the clothes in only a few hours, or overnight, on high speed with the bedroom door closed, which is great for rainy days. I also have a clothes drier which I reserve for the towels on rainy days or for laundry emergencies.

Fold clothes and sheets as you take them off the line. Then put them away immediately. I fold all of dd1s clothes into one pile, dd2s into another and mine into a third, then when I'm putting them away it's easy.

Finally, all of our dresses, shirts and skirts, anything g that goes on a clothes hanger, I don't peg onto the line, I have a stack of clothes hangers that I use to hang the dresses and things onto, I put these straight onto the clothes line, then when the clothes are dry, I carry them inside and hang then straight into the wardrobes. This greatly reduced ironing time too. As the creases drop out while they're drying, with no peg marks at all.

Finally, do not waste money on stain removers. A bottle of sugar soap from bunnings is only a couple of dollars. I keep some in an old spray bottle, and I spray any stains with sugar soap. It's never failed me. Gets out any food or grease stains, even really nasty dried in ones..

I will probably come back with more tips...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

almai  (10-08-2015),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (11-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My current routine is putting a load on overnight (every night), hanging on the clotheshorse the next day, taking the dry clothes off, folding and putting away straight away. I have the clotheshorse over a heating vent and they're always dry after 24 hours or so (heating isn't on the entire time). Sheets etc get hung outside; we have a line under the deck. Usually they dry enough that I can pop them in the dryer on low for half an hour to just her them super dry. If I miss a day of doing a load, we really notice, so I'm super vigilant about keeping on top of it.

ETA: I don't iron. Everything gets folded or hung. The only stuff that gets ironed is DH's work shirts, and he does them once a week.
    Last edited by Moxy; 10-07-2015 at 19:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is what works for me: each day is a specific load which then go on the line. I live in Canberra so most things need at least two days on the line to dry. mon: sheets, ties:dd, wedS, Thursday: us, FriD, Sat: DS, Sun: us. If I get time I do any extra loads of towels etc which then get washed and dried in the dryer.

On Tuesday's DD is at daycare so I pop on Netflix/iview/dvd and fold the clothes from the week. If I spare chance and a really big pile because I've been washing heaps I might fold on a weekend as well, but I find the weekly Tuesday fold has been working well for me since April.

Before April I had massive mt foldmores but I introduced a housework roster and it has been working well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Excuse my smiley faces mid sentence. I'm on the iPad and I have fat fingers

Thanks
    Reviews
    My hot tip is: fold as little as possible! No one's clothes get folded in this house - just put in drawers. I would lose my mind if I tried to fold everything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gumnut babies View Post
    My hot tip is: fold as little as possible! No one's clothes get folded in this house - just put in drawers. I would lose my mind if I tried to fold everything!
    Yeah. As I take stuff off the line I roughly fold the stuff that doesn't need ironing into one pile per person, then put them straight into drawers and roughly fold the stuff that needs ironing into another pile and iron the next day. I don't do a load of washing every day though as there only 3 of us.