+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Unsure if we have a feeding problem or not

Hi everyone

I have a 12 day old son who is quite small and until yesterday, felt like we were going ok with breastfeeding. Bub had been demand feeding 3-3.5 hourly but had been increasingly fussy for a couple minutes at the breast prior to attaching as well as not settling well and grizzling. We thought it was just a phase.

The community midwife came out yesterday to weigh him and although he's now above his birth weight and put on 150 in 8 days, she says he's not gaining enough so yesterday I started fenugreek. She also said to feed him every time he grizzled to boost my supply so every 90 minutes last night we did that but I don't think he got any milk? No gulping or swallowing I could notice, no letdown, no milk on his lips at the end, and he was only on for 5 minutes at a time. My breasts are always soft now (as of this week), not ever full, which makes me worry too.

I don't really know what I'm asking. I'm worried I have no milk cos my Boobs aren't full, and cos he's super grizzly and unsettled. He doesn't latch super deep so maybe that's it? I don't know

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should add that his head circumference and length have all increased, and he has plenty of wet and dirty nappies every day. Which is why I assumed we were doing ok...

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Is he having wet nappies? If it's a bit hard to tell pop some cotton wool buds inside his nappy to find out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. Plenty of wet and dirty nappies each day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm definitely not an expert and have issues myself with bf but I've also got a little one who's 13 days old now. I just wanted to say that having soft boobs doesn't necessarily mean you have supply issues, it's just your body adjusting to baby's needs. I've started block feeding so can often go a few hours without feeding from one side and I'm not getting engorged like I would have been a couple of weeks ago if I missed a feed from one side.

In terms of the night feeding I know what you mean about sometimes not being able to tell if baby is drinking. Mine feeds quite often as he gets a lots of trapped wind so we feed pretty much every 90 minutes but overnight if he's sleepy he doesn't always latch well (will take few sucks before stopping even though my milk is dripping and spraying) and the solution I've found is to try and wake him up a bit by changing his nappy. Obviously you often don't want to wake the whole house at night but it does seem to help with the feeding as my ds2 gets very upset about being changed so wants a feed straight afterwards.
    Do you have any breastfeeding support service near you? I went to a local childcare centre last week when I was having some issues and I'm going to see a lactation consultant today. Maybe try videoing the feeding as I know often Sod's law is that when you see someone baby seems to latch beautifully and take a full feed!
    Good luck and I hope you get the advice you are looking for. X

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Ok...so I've just checked my ds' weight book and I think that nurse is talking out of her a$re. My ds had "only" gained 100g above his birth weight by 2 weeks of age which is perfectly normal at that stage. He then went on to gain 250+g a week for the next several months.

Its likely your supply has settled down. If he has plenty of wet and dirty nappies I would be looking at other reasons he may be grizzly. Though being grizzly can be perfectly normal too...it could be wind/gas, colic, reflux etc.

Do you have any idea why he is increasingly fussy before attaching? Is it because he is quite hungry and impatient (they get like that)? Or is he actually having trouble latching on?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a 19 day old and was told that so long as they have plenty of wet and dirty nappies then milk supply is fine. My baby only reached birth weight at 17 days old and I was told that was normal and everything was fine. My boobs were getting hard when my milk fist came in and now one will get hard if I feed from the other boob only on a particular feed. She sometimes has two boobs, sometimes only one. Meaning they will only get hard if not fed from for a good 5-6 hrs and she often feeds from a soft boob.

I hope this helps...?

I think that's the most I've used the word 'boob' in my life....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just had my 1-2 week check up with the nurse and she says they expect 150g per week weight gain so it seems absolutely fine.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Unsure if we have a feeding problem or not

They give you 2 weeks to regain birth weight so if he is has exceeded that then he is doing well. I echo others about the boobs becoming soft being normal, it sounds like he is quite a regular feeder being 3-3.5 hours at not even 2 weeks old and has already established his own routine -which is fantastic!

Personally I would not feed every grizzle, it's his way of communicating and that doesn't always mean he is hungry, he may be wet, in a poo, need a bit more of a burp or just simply looking for mum!

Also a simple reason he may be fussing on the boob is that he is tired, it's a lot of work for them when they are so little to bring the milk down. The reason he wouldn't be gulping overnight is because he probably isn't hungry enough to feed and just comfort sucking. If he is getting extremely upset before feeds ( arching back, screaming, difficult to burp) then he may have an underlying issue, however just general "fussing" at the boobie can be normal for some bubs. Look for your hunger cues, head turning, sucking motions, head bobbing etc while getting back to that 3 hourly stretch.

Sounds like overall you're doing a fabulous job!
    Last edited by Soon2be4; 10-07-2015 at 11:35.