+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Heya @Luanajo =)

No worries! Basically, if you send anything abroad you have to fill out a sticker that goes on the outside of the parcel saying what's in it, what it's worth (cost wise) and promising it's nothing dangerous =D If you send something to the UK with a stated value close to or more than about $72 (limit is 36GBP iir so the $ value does change - I'd be wary of anything over $50) our version of AQIS (the quarantine bunch) get hold of it, and won't send it on until tax has been paid on it. Everything over 36GBP has to have VAT (Value added tax) paid on it at 20% of the value of the parcel and then if it's worth enough then import duty has to be paid too (another tax). You may well be getting close to that amount with what you're planning on sending. Add it up and see... you may need to do some creative mathematics Don't lie about what's *in* it though as if they scan the parcel they will end up opening it etc.

From memory, although it isn't mentioned on the site, when it happened to me I had to pay some fee or other as well as the VAT - because these people love to charge for anything lol.

The other thing too, when sending stuff abroad, is to check what can and can't be sent. Australia is SHOCKING for what you can't receive. I don't think you'd have any trouble with what you're planning on sending though as the UK isn't particularly paranoid like that, but if they wanted to send you anything they'd need to check the AQIS website =D

Hope that made sense!! Ask if not =D

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh okay! I had no idea they were so strict. Maybe I should send two different parcels maybe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Price of postage to the UK is absurd too though. The list you gave could easily have a $ value under the threshold... so I'd go with that iykwim...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We shop online using uk sites (for lower postage) to send Xmas and birthday gifts to family in the UK. My sister in the UK does the same but using au sites to send us gifts.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

Catkin  (14-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll give it my best shot! Haha and oh okay I didn't know they had those haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is my first time sending anyone any parcels so I'm completely oblivious haha