+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Lots trapped wind, would block feeding help?

My ds2 is now just over 2 weeks and he's suffering terribly with trapped wind. It's worst at night where he will literally be squirming, grunting and crying all night. We then get episodes where he passes lots of wind and he seems to poo every feed. Most of the time the poo is bright yellow but yesterday he passed a couple of green poos and they are always very watery.

I'm thinking that the main issue is that he's not drinking for long enough and getting too much foremilk. I'm trying to just feed from one side at each feed rather than offering both and I seem to have enough milk to satisfy him. Has anyone else tried block feeding to help with this issue or is it mainly just to reduce supply?

I'm going a bit crazy as although I think it's probably normal my dh is one of those people who thinks there is always a solution and he now wants to change to formula thinking that will solve the problem! Although I don't think it will we will end up having countless arguments until I give in and try the formula just to prove whether it works or not. What are people's thoughts on trapped wind? Will he just grow out of it or could there be any underlying issues such as intolerances, silent reflux etc?!

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    My DS sounds like he was very similar. Block feeding saved me. I also gave a half dose of infacol before each feed (cleared by a GP) and burped him midfeed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My guess is that you have lots of milk and a strong flow.

Block feeding as harvs said worked for me too and feeding upright. Your baby will grow into your milk flow. And these issues are all normal for this age as you and Bub sort each other out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you think he's getting too much fore milk, have you tried expressing past the first let down, then feeding him? He'll get more hind milk that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The midwife mentioned expressing about 30 mls first but I just dont find this very practical especially at night when he's feeding every 1-2 hours. I tried block feeding last night and I'm making an effort to try and get him to feed for longer. I'm hoping things improve but I've got an appointment with a lactation consultant tomorrow.