+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Newborn wake time - just doesn't go to sleep?

Hi. My bub is 11 days old. We're a bit confused about how best to go about helping him to get to sleep. He'll sleep in our arms or on our chests but we're not comfortable doing this overnight due to the SIDS risk. Like one might expect, he doesn't really like to sleep at all in his bassinett which is making for a lot of sleepless nights. He'll whinge and fuss etc when put down and if let go for 2 to 3 minutes will usually settle and just look around. But he will often stay awake for 3 hours or so?! Even in the daytime, he's stayed awake the entire time between 2 feeds sometimes.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do. I understand why bubs like to be held close but we can't do it all night. And I don't know why he's staying awake so much longer than they suggest a newborn should, nor how to change this?
    I'd really appreciate any suggestions or experience!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sometimes if my bub is laying in the bassinet awake for a while taking a long time to drift off, I'll pop a wrap from the canopy to the foot of the bassinet to eliminate any stimulation in the form of lights or anything in the room. They usually go to sleep pretty quickly after that and then I can take the wrap away. (Note: this would only work in the style of bassinet I have so the wrap isn't on or near bubs face at all - please don't try this on any bassinet that doesn't have a raised canopy at one end!)

A dummy also helps sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you think Bub could be getting overstimulated? Too many visitors etc? Although you would probably expect more crying if that were the case. With my DS2 we had to get a co sleeper bassinet, that joins right up to the bed, as I didn't want to sleep in the bed with him, but it was the only place he would settle overnight.
    By about 3 months he was happy to go in the cot by himself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Get a carrier and pop Bub in there and continue on your day. Babies like being right near or on mum- it's a biological norm, so you will find Bub will sleep much better on you.

Both my girls were good baby sleepers as I've always bed shared overnight. I do understand tho that not everyone is comfy with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found that having the bassinet in our room made Bub not sleep I slept of the couch with the bassinet in front of me for 5 weeks and then I moved him to his cot, it was the best decision he loved the cot

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hes 11 days old. Still may not know night from day.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

kylie764  (25-05-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are you swaddling bub for sleeps?
    Is bub warm enough?
    Sometimes putting a heat pack or hot water bottle in bassinet to warm it up before putting bub in helps - obviously dont leave the heat bag in there once you put bub in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When my second bub was a newborn she was staying awake for soooo long in the day time. Sometimes 8 hrs or more. She would wake around 7am and feed then by about 9 she would show tired signs so I would try to put her down but she would not settle. Then she would ask for a feed. I offered a feed but she fussed at the Breast. Put her down and she wouldn't settle.... Repeat and repeat without sleeping until about 3pm!!!! She didn't cry much but was just unsettled. It was very frustrating. Finally I looked in a book at a routine for a bub her age and it said awake time should be no more then 1.5hrs. The next day she woke at 7 and I fed her and then put her down at 8:30 (even tho she didn't really look tired to me). Well she went straight to sleep! All along the problem had been that she was overtired!!! I was waiting too long to see her tired signs and as soon as I started putting her down earlier she started sleeping so much better both in the day and at night.
    Hope this helps you in some way. Good luck. Xxx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

kylie764  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    When my second bub was a newborn she was staying awake for soooo long in the day time. Sometimes 8 hrs or more. She would wake around 7am and feed then by about 9 she would show tired signs so I would try to put her down but she would not settle. Then she would ask for a feed. I offered a feed but she fussed at the Breast. Put her down and she wouldn't settle.... Repeat and repeat without sleeping until about 3pm!!!! She didn't cry much but was just unsettled. It was very frustrating. Finally I looked in a book at a routine for a bub her age and it said awake time should be no more then 1.5hrs. The next day she woke at 7 and I fed her and then put her down at 8:30 (even tho she didn't really look tired to me). Well she went straight to sleep! All along the problem had been that she was overtired!!! I was waiting too long to see her tired signs and as soon as I started putting her down earlier she started sleeping so much better both in the day and at night.
    Hope this helps you in some way. Good luck. Xxx
    In respect to the 1.5 hours awake time, this is SO true however you need to remember that every baby is different.

The first few weeks are trial and error. For example my DS is 9 and a half weeks. For the first 3 or 4 weeks I was just winging it!

It wasn't until then that I was told that a newborn should not be awake for MORE THAN 1.5 hours and things that you might find cute could be tired signs.

My DS is a one hour boy, almost to the second. At 45 mins he seems fussy and his legs may begin to move like he is running a marathon, which initially I laughed at. After receiving the above info, I realised that this was "jerking" movements which is a tired sign!

Eyes wide open, I swaddled him and settled him and he went out like a light.

My niece was a hour and 15 minute girl.

Also note that 10 mins either way can make a huge difference. And to elaborate on this, my DS will only sleep for 40mins, again almost to the minute! I was then told that some babies only need 40 mins and will be awake, happy and refreshed yet others are either being put down 10 minutes too early when they are not actually tired so they just have a power nap, and others are 10 minutes too late so they are overtired and unsettled which disturbs their sleep!

I'm a new Mum too, a single, living on my own Mum.....they say that sleep deprivation is a slow torture but it DOES NOT LAST FOREVER!

Forget the housework, the shower and the home cooked meals on the days that you are exhausted and sleep every chance you get, even if it is only for 30 mins at a time.

Good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to beckyashleigh For This Useful Post:

kylie764  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My baby also seems/seemed to stay up way longer than what all of these books and websites claimed was normal. We found that a very tight swaddle suit worked wonders - he used to always escape the muslin swaddle otherwise, so the tight swaddle meant he always felt nice and secure and he didn't wake up as often. He also seemed to "normalise" a bit more after 2 weeks and slept more from then on.

It's frustrating but at 11 days, of course they only want to sleep on you still - they're still so little and they're used to being all nice and warm in the womb. Also something to remember that I didn't realise - when they fall asleep while feeding that actually counts as a nap, even if it's only for 5 minutes - so that little cat nap of a few minutes is often enough to keep them going for a couple more hours of awake time.