+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flying qantas with a toddler

Read up a bit on travelling with kids so I think I'm prepared mentally. Just wanting to know if anyone has any information specific to qantas that might be good to know. I will be flying adelaide to sydney to visit family with a husband who has never flown before and master will be 22 months who has also never flown. (I've flown plenty of times before just not with a child). Luckily I will be able to borrow gear at the other end so we will have 2 cases, a pram, a nappy bag and a small backpack between us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have flown multiple times with DD & DS. I get anxiety (mostly about how my kids will act).

Just pack the iPad if you have one for your child, some snacks and activities.

You can pack pram and car seat free of charge. Does your child use a dummy still? I would just be worried about her ears I'm not sure what else you can do I offer kids dummy on take off etc or a bottle.

I'm sure you will be fine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    All 3 boys started flying very early and have flown many many times. We always take plenty of snacks, books, the ipads and colouring/activity books and pencils. Some quantas planes have the tvs in the head rests which the kids like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooh i hope we get tv in the back of the headrest. He would love that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We flew qantas recently with our sons, DS2 was 18 months. There was a tv in each headrest with a peppa pig channel and some other kids stations.

The staff gave them colouring packs, a special kids meal and an ice cream.
    Was a great experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure what the food service is on that route. If it's a proper meal (rather than a snack) phone ahead and add a toddler meal to your booking (if he's flying on your lap rather than in his own seat).

The complimentary headphones are adult-sized, so consider taking your own kid-sized ones.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flying qantas with a toddler

We flew Qantas Perth - Cairns with a 10 month old in May. Not quite the same age but a few things I noticed
    As pp said phone ahead & order a toddler meal if DS will be on your lap.
    Check if your flight will have seat back entertainment, 3/4 of the planes we were on didn't have it so the iPad came in handy. We preloaded cartoons. Depends on the route you're flying what aircraft you'll get.
    Try to check in early & ask really nicely if they will block the seat next to you so you have a but of extra room, thus usually works if you sit down the back.
    The hosties were all lovely, some of them even took DD to the galley & entertained her for 10 min! Have a great trip.