+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,509
    Thanks
    396
    Thanked
    701
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Yep nuttlex is vegan ( dairy, soy and gluten free) or just substitute butter in any recipe with coconut oil

    You can make a butter cream icing with nuttlex ( just nuttlex, icing sugar and water)
    I use coconut oil a lot in cooking and find it's not always a good substitute for butter.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

    DesperatelySeekingSleep  (07-07-2015)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    165
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked
    52
    Reviews
    0
    I've used a nice packet cake mix in the past and swapped out the liquid (milk / egg) for banana, chia seeds soaked in water or yoghurt (you could use coconut yoghurt and check the packet mix has none of the forbidden items)

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to gumnut babies For This Useful Post:

    DesperatelySeekingSleep  (07-07-2015)

  5. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,376
    Thanks
    774
    Thanked
    1,772
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not entirely sure about gelatin, but it is so easy to make a dairy free soy free cake. Just use a regular cake recipe - any cake recipe online, or your favourite chocolate cake, etc, and use almond, rice or oat milk, instead of cows milk, and nuttelex instead of butter. Most cake recipes can be made this way. 'Greens' brand plain chocolate or vanilla packet cake mixes are dairy free, as long as you make it with the oat, almond or rice milk. You would have to double check the box for traces of soy or gelatin. Good luck!

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

    DesperatelySeekingSleep  (07-07-2015)

  7. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,718
    Thanks
    3,789
    Thanked
    3,838
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Awesome ideas! Didn't think of using nuttlex for icing or rice milk for milk substitute! Im going to go with dairy free packet mix with rice milk/almond milk and a nuttlex cream icing.

    Thanks so much!

    You have no idea how much this is appreciated.

  8. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,718
    Thanks
    3,789
    Thanked
    3,838
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Yep nuttlex is vegan ( dairy, soy and gluten free) or just substitute butter in any recipe with coconut oil

    You can make a butter cream icing with nuttlex ( just nuttlex, icing sugar and water)
    Quote Originally Posted by gumnut babies View Post
    I've used a nice packet cake mix in the past and swapped out the liquid (milk / egg) for banana, chia seeds soaked in water or yoghurt (you could use coconut yoghurt and check the packet mix has none of the forbidden items)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I'm not entirely sure about gelatin, but it is so easy to make a dairy free soy free cake. Just use a regular cake recipe - any cake recipe online, or your favourite chocolate cake, etc, and use almond, rice or oat milk, instead of cows milk, and nuttelex instead of butter. Most cake recipes can be made this way. 'Greens' brand plain chocolate or vanilla packet cake mixes are dairy free, as long as you make it with the oat, almond or rice milk. You would have to double check the box for traces of soy or gelatin. Good luck!
    Was meant to quote these..

  9. #16
    harvs's Avatar
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,997
    Thanks
    6,239
    Thanked
    15,894
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Is it your birthday today?

  10. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,718
    Thanks
    3,789
    Thanked
    3,838
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Is it your birthday today?
    No. But very soon.

  11. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,165
    Thanks
    2,773
    Thanked
    2,282
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Dairy free, soy free and gelatine free celebration cake recipe please

    This could work with dairy free chocolate
    http://www.losebabyweight.com.au/cho...t-loss-recipe/

  12. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,845
    Thanks
    1,822
    Thanked
    1,423
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @DesperatelySeekingSleep I've used this before. It was really really tasty.

    Moist Chocolate Cake

    Ingredients:
    2/3 cup of dairy free milk
    1 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
    1 t cider vinegar
    2 cups white sugar
    3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup strong brewed coffee (decaffeinated for kids)
    1/2 cup dairy free sour cream
    1/2 cup veg oil
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    Egg replacer (2 eggs worth)

    Method:
    1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil and flour 2 9-inch round spring-form cake pans and set aside. In a small mixing bowl or dish, combine the milk and cider vinegar until well-mixed. Set aside (mixture will thicken slightly).
    2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until well combined. Create a well in the center of the ingredients. Add the milk mixture, egg replacer, coffee, dairy-free sour cream, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract to the well. Using an electric hand mixer, beat the ingredients on a medium-speed setting for 1-2 minutes, or until smooth. (Note: the batter will be rather thin, but this is normal!).
    3. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes emerges clean. Allow cakes to cool in the pan for 20-30 minutes, then carefully remove the cakes from the pans and allow to cool completely on wire cooling racks before layering and frosting with Dairy Free Chocolate Frosting.

    For an extra rich cake, try preparing a batch of Dark Chocolate Ganache and using it to fill the middle layer of the cakes. Allow the ganache to chill for about 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until pliable but firm, then evenly spread the ganache evenly over the top surface of one of the cakes. Place the other cake on top, then frost with Dairy Free Chocolate Frosting.

    Dairy Free Choc Frosting
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1/4 cup dairy free margarine
    1/4 sweet milk (almond?)
    3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 t vanilla

    Using an electric mixer, cream the sugar and margarine until thick but well combined. Add the milk, cocoa, and vanilla and continue to mix until smooth.

    Ganache:
    16 ounces good quality dairy free dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
    15 ounce can coconut milk (not light/lite varieties)
    1/2 t vanilla

    Place the chocolate in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
    In a small saucepan, heat (medium high) the coconut milk until bubble begin to rise to the surface at the edge and steam starts to rise. Pour the hot cocomut milk over the chocolate and leave to stand for 5 mins- don't stir.
    After 5 mins, stir until glossy and smooth (about 2 mins).
    Stir in vanilla extract. Use warm or slightly cooled.
    Last edited by DT75; 07-07-2015 at 18:53.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

    DesperatelySeekingSleep  (07-07-2015)

  14. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,718
    Thanks
    3,789
    Thanked
    3,838
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    @DesperatelySeekingSleep I've used this before. It was really really tasty.

    Moist Chocolate Cake

    Ingredients:
    2/3 cup of dairy free milk
    1 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
    1 t cider vinegar
    2 cups white sugar
    3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup strong brewed coffee (decaffeinated for kids)
    1/2 cup dairy free sour cream
    1/2 cup veg oil
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    Egg replacer (2 eggs worth)

    Method:
    1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil and flour 2 9-inch round spring-form cake pans and set aside. In a small mixing bowl or dish, combine the milk and cider vinegar until well-mixed. Set aside (mixture will thicken slightly).
    2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until well combined. Create a well in the center of the ingredients. Add the milk mixture, egg replacer, coffee, dairy-free sour cream, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract to the well. Using an electric hand mixer, beat the ingredients on a medium-speed setting for 1-2 minutes, or until smooth. (Note: the batter will be rather thin, but this is normal!).
    3. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes emerges clean. Allow cakes to cool in the pan for 20-30 minutes, then carefully remove the cakes from the pans and allow to cool completely on wire cooling racks before layering and frosting with Dairy Free Chocolate Frosting.

    For an extra rich cake, try preparing a batch of Dark Chocolate Ganache and using it to fill the middle layer of the cakes. Allow the ganache to chill for about 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until pliable but firm, then evenly spread the ganache evenly over the top surface of one of the cakes. Place the other cake on top, then frost with Dairy Free Chocolate Frosting.

    Dairy Free Choc Frosting
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1/4 cup dairy free margarine
    1/4 sweet milk (almond?)
    3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 t vanilla

    Using an electric mixer, cream the sugar and margarine until thick but well combined. Add the milk, cocoa, and vanilla and continue to mix until smooth.

    Ganache:
    16 ounces good quality dairy free dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
    15 ounce can coconut milk (not light/lite varieties)
    1/2 t vanilla

    Place the chocolate in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
    In a small saucepan, heat (medium high) the coconut milk until bubble begin to rise to the surface at the edge and steam starts to rise. Pour the hot cocomut milk over the chocolate and leave to stand for 5 mins- don't stir.
    After 5 mins, stir until glossy and smooth (about 2 mins).
    Stir in vanilla extract. Use warm or slightly cooled.
    That actually looks like a recipe I have. Just using substitutions.

    Hmmmm looks like I'm getting my cake! Lol

    For the record, its not the cake itself I want. It's the tradition. I don't ever ask for anything materialistic through the year, ever, except for cake on my birthday. I would much prefer someone else to make it or organise it but if this is the only way I'm getting cake for my birthday then so be it. Lol.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

    DT75  (08-07-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Dairy free families
    By BornToBe in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-01-2015, 09:00
  2. Dairy-free Recipes Please!
    By Cue in forum Recipes & Lunchbox Ideas
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 17-11-2014, 20:27
  3. Dairy Free, Egg Free Cake
    By bundun3 in forum Food allergies & intolerances
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-08-2014, 20:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Mother and Baby Shop
Save $$$ during our Christmas Sale Mother and Baby Shop
Great prices on Schoenhut kids pianos, toys, baby clothing as well as big brands like Pigeon, NUK, Cherub Baby and many more. Sale starts on 1 November 2016 and ends on the 27 December 2016. Hurry! Place your order today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Baby Car Seats and Infant Car Restraints
Buying a baby car seat? Check out our 'go-to' links here!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!