+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14

Default Work, child care, meetings

I am in a dilemma and it is stressing me out to no end so curious what others would do in this situation.

Your hours start at 9am. You have received an email stating there is a branch meeting at 8am on your work day. You have a child in daycare who is dropped off at daycare at 8am. To be at the meeting would mean dropping him off by 7am when he generally doesn't wake until 630/645am. You have not bern offered time in leu from having to start an hour earlier. Trying to get daycare drop off done is stressful enough for both mum and child that most days there are tears. You dont have any other support that can help with daycare drop off. You have been a exceptional employee and been there 8+ years either full time or part time. It is a family business.

What would you do? Dump and run on day care, go to the meeting and ask for extra time off (noting all other employees will only be working an extra 30 minutes not an hour) don't go to the meeting

Please dont quote as i will likely delete soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dump and run today. Then chat to your boss about future meetings.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Me&Smooches  (07-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would most definitely go to the meeting, and do an earlier drop off. If you are worried about working an extra hour, raise it perhaps later in the week after the meeting is long over. Especially if there are to be more meetings in future, it would be good to know if/when you can get the hour back. All the best.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Me&Smooches  (07-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would just do the earlier drop off - it's just a once off so bub should be able to manage with the earlier start. The extra hour wouldn't be a concern to me, as that is a very normal part of my world but everyone is different. I'm all about give & take when it comes to workplace flexibility.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Juzz For This Useful Post:

Me&Smooches  (07-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would do the earlier drop off and request to finish an hour earlier that day.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would do the earlier drop off at daycare. I've had to drop my DS off early a few times, which meant waking him up a lot earlier and it's not the best but as long as it's not regular occurrence it'll be ok.

I hope the drop off goes ok. The tears are never easy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cheekychook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't go to the meeting, I would ask if it was compulsory to attend and explain you have outside work commitments. If they insist I would say ok I will just finish an hour earlier then.

Or I would act like I was going to the meeting and be totally agreeable then call in sick on the day with gastro . Put your child into care and stay home watching trashy TV as a mummy day.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (07-07-2015),TeaM  (07-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    I am all about work place flexibility but in recent times i haven't quite seen that from other staff so i am always reluctant to give that little extra for no reason. I am the only female staff member with a young child as majority of the women are late teens or early twenties so i know they wouldn't understand.

I would be happy to finish even half hour earlier as that would even it out with the other staff giving only half hour unpaid. Before i went on maternity leave it didn't bother me putting in extra time at all but there has been so many changes there and i am kind of an outsider i dont like to be there longer than I really need too. I am the only part timer and its that way as they desperately wanted me to come back from mat leave early that i am guessing they just agreed to what i wanted. I know to some it may be petty but since starting ds at daycare last year i have had a terrible struggle emotionally to leave him-which i am sure i am.not the only mum to go through it.

Its likely to be the only branch meeting for the year as they do get together for quarterly awards with all the branches but its not on my work day and so far i have been unable to find care for ds on those days.

Just worries me given it is 7am now and he is still asleep. What do you do in that situation? Take him in his pjs with no breakfast? Or would you make sure he is awake at least half hour earlier? (Meeting is later in the we) do you think ds would struggle being there an extra hour? He is normally at daycare just under 9 hours but this would push it out to 10 hours with an early start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would just drop off earlier and go to the meeting, I wouldn't ask for any extra time off.

I would take in PJ's and take breakfast with him. My 3 kids get dropped at daycare at 6:30 3 days a week. They're early risers so I have time to change them, but if they were up late I'd take in PJ's. I drop them off with a banana and a yoghurt and sometimes some toast.
    Last edited by CazHazKidz; 07-07-2015 at 09:14.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Me&Smooches View Post
    I am all about work place flexibility but in recent times i haven't quite seen that from other staff so i am always reluctant to give that little extra for no reason. I am the only female staff member with a young child as majority of the women are late teens or early twenties so i know they wouldn't understand.

I would be happy to finish even half hour earlier as that would even it out with the other staff giving only half hour unpaid. Before i went on maternity leave it didn't bother me putting in extra time at all but there has been so many changes there and i am kind of an outsider i dont like to be there longer than I really need too. I am the only part timer and its that way as they desperately wanted me to come back from mat leave early that i am guessing they just agreed to what i wanted. I know to some it may be petty but since starting ds at daycare last year i have had a terrible struggle emotionally to leave him-which i am sure i am.not the only mum to go through it.

Its likely to be the only branch meeting for the year as they do get together for quarterly awards with all the branches but its not on my work day and so far i have been unable to find care for ds on those days.

Just worries me given it is 7am now and he is still asleep. What do you do in that situation? Take him in his pjs with no breakfast? Or would you make sure he is awake at least half hour earlier? (Meeting is later in the we) do you think ds would struggle being there an extra hour? He is normally at daycare just under 9 hours but this would push it out to 10 hours with an early start.
    How old is your DS? Does he enjoy daycare after you are gone? He will likely be fine for an extra hour, I wouldn't worry too much. Get him up earlier & go to the meeting. I would ask your boss if you could finish a little earlier than afternoon & pick DS up early.