+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlet0509 View Post
    Hi I'm training to be a doctor and I'm conducting a piece of research on cesarean sections as the C-section rate is growing year on year yet there hasn't been much of an improvement in newborn and maternal mortality rates. Not looking to start a debate just wanting some honest views to help gain a greater understanding. Anyone who takes the time to fill this in I really appreciate it. So what I'm asking is:

Would you have a C-section?

Yes!

If so why? If not why not?

Because for me it is the best way to birth, both physically and mentally. I may not had children if elective c sections weren't an option.

If you have had a cesarean section why did you have one? what information were you given before the procedure? do you feel you made an informed decision? would you choose to have a C-section in future?

I had one because it was the best choice for *me*

I had a phobia of natural birth, and a history of anxiety/depression. My phobia was more centred around fear of birthing damage (ie 3rd/4th degree tears, faecal incontinence and nerve damage) than fear of pain per se.

My Ob discussed my options in detail with me and gave me reading material on the risks of elective CS before making up my mind.

Yes, I feel I was informed in my decision and supported by my Ob. As it turned out, in surgery they discovered I had a Unicornuate Uterus and would have had a high chance of needing emergency CS due to the size/shape of my uterus.

I am booked for another CS due to not being a good candidate for VBAC (and no desire to birth naturally)

What do you believe is the Safest way to deliver?

A straightforward vaginal birth or elective CS.

What country are you from and where did you deliver your baby and what year?

Australia. Victoria, In private hospital 2013.

What was your experience of your obstetrician/Midwife?

My private Ob was excellent - great care during my pregnancy, during CS and after.

Please tell me anything else you'd like to add
    hope that answers your questions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    If you have had a cesarean section why did you have one?

Both my babies were born via c section. First time round it was medically necessary as I had grade 3 placenta praevia so I was booked in about a week before my due date. Second time round I decided that an elective c section was best for me. My husband worked away at the time and it was nice to know that we could plan to have him home in time. It was also the whole case of 'better the devil you know' rather than the unknown of labour and natural child birth.

what information were you given before the procedure? My ob was wonderful both times. Lots of info and explanation done on the procedure itself, the anaesthetic, what would happen in the OR etc. Also all the possible risks to myself and baby.

do you feel you made an informed decision? I don't believe I had a decision first time-it was the safest option presented to me by my doctor who I trusted...for a healthy mum and healthy baby there was no other option. Second time round, yes. I knew the pros and cons, the risks etc and made my decision.

would you choose to have a C-section in future? Yes, if I decided to have more children and my doctor thought it was safe for me to have a 3rd c section, then I would.

What do you believe is the Safest way to deliver? Whatever brings the outcome of a healthy baby and healthy mother.

What country are you from and where did you deliver your baby and what year? Australia. Both my babies were born in Australia. In 2012 and 2013.

What was your experience of your obstetrician/Midwife? I went private and my obstetrician was wonderful. So caring and always there to answer any questions. The midwives who cared for me at the hospital were also great. Very helpful, especially after my first baby as I had no idea what I was doing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes if medically necessary

Emergency, after 18 hours of labour with only gas baby was distressed

what information were you given before the procedure?
    The situation was explained to me and why it was necessary. I trusted my ob and agreed.

do you feel you made an informed decision?
    Yes

Would you choose to have a C-section in future?
    If medically necessary then yes i would

No opinion, baby should delivered in the safest way as determine by trained medical professionals

Australia, calvary private hispital adelaide

I loved my ob and trusted his judgement completely

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Joeee; 13-07-2015 at 19:33.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

Yes.

Because the end goal is to have a healthy baby and mother. If a c/s can provide that then I'm all for it.

I was pg with twins as my first pregnancy. I was only just 25 a few weeks before birth. My partner was terrified and convinced something would go wrong should I labour naturally. I was also completely overwhelmed and losing sanity. I hadn't slept in weeks, no braxton hicks or other signs of impending labour. We booked in the c/s with the view that if I went into labour naturally I would endeavour to deliver that way.

This was nearly 7 years ago so my memory is rusty. I was told of the complications that could arise from the spinal and the actual c/s. I was also told to think carefully if this was what I really wanted as c/s rates in aus are on the rise and do I want to contribute to that statistic- a point which I will say was not helpful in my mental state back then.

Yes.

would you choose to have a C-section in future?

Yes. My next labour was a vbac and did not go to plan at all. I was about 1 minute away from an emergency c/s when dd was born. I had been given a large enough spinal to cover that scenario should the forceps or ventouse not work. (They nearly didn't). My body- 2 years later- still suffers the after affects of that vbac. Although I plan on no more children, if I were to happen to be pg again I would request another c/s.

It's too reliant on the individual. Whatever way produces a healthy baby and mother.

Australia. Both deliveries were in country Vic (different hospitals) 2008 (c/s) and 2013 (vbac)

C/s - obstetrician was good, not amazing. Midwives were mostly confusing and had contradicting advice. Vbac- delivering ob was too blasé, made mistakes and his after-care was horrendous. Midwives were helpful and sensitive to what I had been through.

Thanks
    Reviews

If you have had a cesarean section why did you have one? what information were you given before the procedure? do you feel you made an informed decision? would you choose to have a C-section in future?

Is never elect to have a caesarean as a first option if I could deliver naturally.

My son was born via Emergency Caesarean. Spontaneous labour and labored well. At pushing he could not get under my pubic bone. A forcep delivery was conducted however he wasn't coming and his heart rate was dropping at an alarming rate.
    Wasn't overly informed but just wanted what was best for my baby.

Rushed to theatre. Cut hip to hip and they struggled to get him out because of how low down I had pushed him.

I then had an infection in my incision a week later which lead to excruciating pain. Having a child already when the time comes we will attempt VBAC if it is safe. Already having a toddler the recovery is so much quicker. However if it looks like my bub is going to be as big as number one, I wouldn't put my body through what I went through to end that way.

I had my boy in 2012 and Private Hospital Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

Yes

Any Medical reasons deemed it was needed.

I came so close to having one. I was on the op table. I had given consent to have it done. The baby was face presentation and in distress. He popped out just before the started. I say popped as out of 6 births he was the only one that was born in 2 involuntary pushes.

All the normal pre surgery stuff.

Yes

would you choose to have a C-section in future?

If needed.

For a normal straight forward birth and vaginally deliver is safer. For some medical complications a c section is safer.

Australia
    Private hospital 94
    Public hospital 99
    Public hospital 01
    Public hospital 03
    Public hospital 08
    Public hospital 12

Ob- first birth ok until the last 2 months when he went on holiday with no one to take over appointments.

Midwives for next 5 births. I prefer midwives for births.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 13-07-2015 at 21:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Would you have a c-section?

Yes.

If so why?

Because sometimes is necessary for a safe delivery and the most important thing is to have a healthy mum and baby if at all possible.

If you have had a c-section why?

Because my baby had IUGR and was very small. I had weekly scans and after one of the scans I was told my baby had to be delivered within 24 hours and that the drs were concerned that he wasn't strong and healthy enough for an induction. I felt it was an informed decision. I was terrified at the time as i had not wanted a c-section, but the procedure was much easier and less scary than I'd expected and I would definitely have another if necessary.

Safest way to deliver?

That depends entirely on the individual circumstances.

Country?

Australia.

Experience of ob/midwife?

I didn't much like my obstetrician. Nothing really that I can put my finger on, we just didn't click, and I didn't feel overly comfortable with him. The midwifes were great.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes

If I made an informed decision that it was medically necessary, or if I made the personal choice for myself that it was the right thing to do

My DS was stuck firm in my pelvis (he really was- the Dr had to really yank him out!)

what information were you given before the procedure? do you feel you made an informed decision? would you choose to have a C-section in future?

I was told that he was stuck and I had the option of waiting until the epidural wore off (that I was given bc I started needing to push at only 5cm and I was exhausted) and trying different positions to move him, or get a c section- he was starting to become distressed to I opted for c section. I certainly felt like I made an informed decision. I would t hesitate to have another if I felt it was necessary or even if it was just my choice.

However the mother and trusted health professionals agree is the safest method

What country are you from and where did you deliver your baby and what year? Australia, Royal Melbourne 2010

What was your experience of your obstetrician/midwife

I was in the public system so only met the staff the night I went in. They were impeccable. The ob took me by the shoulders and said 'just because you're having a caesarean now does not mean that you can't birth naturally. There's nothing wrong here but he's stuck, it's just an unfortunate circumstance'. He was wonderful to say that to me and made me very confident to go on and have a vbac with my DD

I think as long as women feel they are informed and in control (as much as possible) of their birth then who gives a toss how a baby is born. If someone decides they would just prefer to give birth via c section then good for them. I personally found the recovery with my c section baby a hell of a lot easier than with my vbac. And I had no health or feeding issues with either of them. Like most things around child rearing, mountains are made from molehills when it comes to how babies come into the world.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi I'm training to be a doctor and I'm conducting a piece of research on cesarean sections as the C-section rate is growing year on year yet there hasn't been much of an improvement in newborn and maternal mortality rates. Not looking to start a debate just wanting some honest views to help gain a greater understanding. Anyone who takes the time to fill this in I really appreciate it. So what I'm asking is:

1. Yes I'd have a c-section if it was medically necessary.
    2. I don't like surgery and avoid it at all costs but if my baby or I were in danger I would consent to it.
    3. I had two vaginal births but my third was born by emergency c-section at 31 weeks. I knew from early in the pregnancy that this was a strong possibility and I asked lots of questions. The procedure itself was done fairly quickly but I do feel I was informed. I would not choose a c-section in the future unless medically indicated (not that I'm having any more children but for the sake of the survey)
    4. For a normal pregnancy I do believe a VB is safer for babies and mothers.
    5. Australia - 2005 Private hospital
    2008 Private hospital
    2011 Public hospital
    6. Some were good, some were rubbish - both Obs and mids

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would You have a C-section?

Yes.

Only if medically necessary. I would never opt for one.

No I haven't had one.

Drug free vaginal birth, unless drugs are medically necessary to control risk in labour. C Section would be safer in some circumstances also. I think this would be a case by case decision.

N/A.

N/A

Last edited by bigmummahen; 14-07-2015 at 08:26.