+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would You have a C-section?

Hi I'm training to be a doctor and I'm conducting a piece of research on cesarean sections as the C-section rate is growing year on year yet there hasn't been much of an improvement in newborn and maternal mortality rates. Not looking to start a debate just wanting some honest views to help gain a greater understanding. Anyone who takes the time to fill this in I really appreciate it. So what I'm asking is:

Would you have a C-section?

If so why? If not why not?

If you have had a cesarean section why did you have one? what information were you given before the procedure? do you feel you made an informed decision? would you choose to have a C-section in future?

What do you believe is the Safest way to deliver?

What country are you from and where did you deliver your baby and what year?

What was your experience of your obstetrician/Midwife?

Please tell me anything else you'd like to add

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes

Because in some instances it is the safest way to delivery baby.

If you have had a cesarean section why did you have one? what information were you given before the procedure? do you feel you made an informed decision? would you choose to have a C-section in future?
    Yes I have had a NEUSCS and a ELSCS. The first was a code blue emergency situation - complete placental abruption at 25 weeks gestation. There was no opportunity for an informed decision or consent! The second I was told that due to my previous CS being upper segment / classical that it was safest to have repeat CS and I trusted in my OB; I didn't want to add any additional risk factors.

See above!

What country are you from and where did you deliver your baby and what year?Australia, public hospital 2012 and private 2014

The OB that delivered my first saved my life and my baby's, I wouldn't have ever chosen anyone else to delivery my second.

Please tell me anything else you'd like to add

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Your location is listed as overseas. Where are you studying/working? How will the results of what women provide you with be used? Will they be published? Will input be 'masked' to ensure privacy?

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (06-07-2015),bel2466  (13-07-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (06-07-2015),LaDiDah  (13-07-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (08-07-2015),PomPoms  (13-07-2015),Silver flute  (07-07-2015),TheGooch  (06-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had two c-sections and would have another again if we had another child.
    My labour with DD1 was a vaginal birth but was quite traumatic for me and I still have problems talking about it. She is now 5!
    My second labour was really good and I was going really well but DD2 was a brow presentation and it was safer for both of us to have an emergency c-section. I have no problems with either my labour or the fact it ended in an emergency c-section.
    I originally planned a VBAC for DS but after much discussion with my DH and midwife taking into account my previous experiences we decided to have an elective c-section. My OB wasn't very keen on the idea of a VBAC either. It was done at 38/5 and was the best decision for us.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week

Only if absolutely medically necessary.

There are some circumstances where a cs will led to a better outcome for either or both Mum & bub.

Have not had a cs.

In most cases, the safest way to deliver in my opinion is drug-free vb with minimal intervention.

Australia, at home in 2014.

I had two private midwives provide excellent care for my whole pregnancy, birth and until 6 weeks post partum. They respected my choices and provided me with as much information as possible when making decisions during my pregnancy. They were very caring, thoughtful and supportive when birth didn't go completely to plan and made sure to explain everything and answer any questions I had thoroughly. They were also very proactive during pregnancy and post partum. For example, when ds was obviously posterior suggesting ways to get him to move and after birth when dealing with latching issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes I would have a c-section, if it was medically necessary. I have had 2 babies and both could have ended in a Caesar but thankfully my OB and the midwives helped me avoid it. I would consent to a surgical delivery if I was convinced that it was the safest option for baby.

In a completely normal uncomplicated pregnancy I'm sure a vaginal delivery is typically safest. But it really depends on the individual circumstances and the nature of any complications.

I gave birth in Australia, in 2011 and 2014, both private.

My OB and the midwives I had in hospital were all extremely supportive and competent. I always felt that I was in excellent hands and well informed of my options.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Does your research have ethics approval?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (13-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Many thanks for replies

I'm studying at the university of Leeds UK. Medicine and BSc international health. 4th year undergraduate.
    this is only the pilot phase of my research to see If anyone would reply. What the responses were in order to put together a more formal survey with more in depth questions.
    All information will be anonymised.
    I will be using the information (from the formal survey not this thread) to write a report in order to gain a second degree. If the report was good enough I would like to publish however this is very difficult for an undergraduate and unlikely to happen.

I have previously conducted a literature review review on rising caesarean rates and found the majority of women would prefer a vaginal delivery if possible so I am interested in doing some research myself however my report has a small word count so I cannot do very in depth research. However on graduation I would like to become an obstetrician where I will have a better opportunity to do in depth research and hopefully be more empathetic with my patients. I am a woman and a mother myself but I had a VB so I have no first hand experience of cesarean.

I am happy to answer any other questions anyone has and also happy to hear anyone's views on birth, c-section, research etc in general.

Many thanks
    Last edited by Littlet0509; 07-07-2015 at 03:01.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default about me

Sorry forgot to add yes I have ethical approval.

As part of my degree I am expected to go and collect primary data and analyse it in the field, most of my colleagues are currently spread across the globe however as my daughter is only ten months old I didn't want to leave her so I am conducting a desk based study collecting anecdotal data from online forums: netmums (UK), mothering.com (USA) and bubhub.

Again many thanks for all your replies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes if medically necessary.

Before I had my son I had plans of a natural birth. I was never against a c section if my ob thought it was necessary but preferred a natural birth.

I had an emergency c section after 15.5 hrs of established labour due to failure to progress. I was coping well in the birthing pool using gas for most of that time however stalled at 7cm. My waters were broken and there was meconium present. This meant getting out of the pool and I did not cope well with the pain once out of the water. My out of control pain and fear of the baby being distressed made me push for a c section at that point. During the c section my ob said that we made the right decision as my son was way too big to fit and would not have progressed further.

I was not given much information but honestly was not in a frame of mind to understand or process it anyway. I was well educated beforehand so feel that I was well aware anyway.

If I have another baby I would consider a c section if the baby was appearing to be as large as my first and if my ob felt this was the best approach.

I think that both c section and vb have their risks.

Australia. 2014

I trusted him throughout the process. He had predicted my son would be large but supported me in trialling labour.