+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6 weeks pregnant no image on ultrasound

Hi so i am around 6 weeks pregnant. Went in for my first gyno appointment today. They did an ultrasound but couldn't see anything. I did have a completely empty bladder. And do and a tilted uterus. Would that effect it? Or should i be worried . Ive had no bleeding what so ever

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure on the tilted uterus. It could be slightly too early, I have read of no HB at 6 weeks then it there the following or atleast by 8wks. Don't want to stress you but I did have this happen and it ended up being a missed miscarriage. I hope you just have a late starter and it works out ok for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This happened to me at 6 weeks, they told me that there was no viable pregnancy but I went for a second opinion at 8 weeks and there he was

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Usually you won't see a HB until at least 6w3d. Was a gestational sac/fetal pole seen at all or was there literally nothing there??

How sure are you about your dates?? Have you had follow up BT's done to check HCG levels??

Thanks
    Reviews
    My last period was on may the 9th. So i should really be 8weeks two days. But had said i might of ovulated late as my periods are all over the place. Had another blood test today

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Was it an abdominal ultrasound or a vaginal ultrasound (the 'probe')?
    With abdominal you do need a full bladder, empty for vaginal.
    If it was abdominal and you had an empty bladder this absolutely would have made it impossible to see.
    And yes a tilted uterus makes it harder. I once had a sonographer tell me before she had even started looking that we probably wouldn't see anything due to my tilted uterus and being early etc. she didn't.

I think sometimes they can be quite insensitive or short with you when it's early as they don't want to worry you unnecessarily as it could well be too early. It totally depends on the equipment and experience of the person doing the scan in these early weeks. My BIL works with the countries top ultrasound machines and I can say there is ALOT of difference between machines.
    I have had one successful pregnancy and one MMC. With the first I thought I was about 7 weeks and it turned out I was only 5 + 4 (with a HB). I still don't think this was technically possible however if i had gone in a week earlier they wouldn't have seen anything and I would have been in the same boat as you. DS is now 4.
    With my second I unfortunately did miscarry but I had scans every week for 3 weeks and they didn't see anything at any of them (except the last - an empty sac, and this was with the best sonographer in my region. No one else could see it, which was highly frustrating and stressful). Hopefully this is not the case for you. Getting your bloods done is a good idea and your OB should be able to tell from this 'when' they should be able to see something for a viable pregnancy. So at least you don't have to keep getting sent back week after week like I did.
    Like others have said its most likely too early. Best of luck for your next scan and a sticky baby! I have my 6 week appt tomorrow...

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dr wouldn't refer me for a dating scan until after 7 weeks. I know it's impossible but try not to stress, 8 weeks is much better for a look see!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just thought id update. Had another scan today. The "date" scan. We saw the baby. Im 7 weeks 4days. It has a strong heart beat. But the doctor did say there was a small gap between the baby and the uterus. And that it would heal naturally. Has anyone else has this

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosey1992 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (08-07-2015),meandmyboys82  (08-07-2015)