+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I put 'not at this address' then put it back in the red post box. I've never had any return, and the amount of mail I get for them has substantially reduced (it's been about 7 months). I don't throw any out as that is illegal.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (07-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenandsquid View Post
    It's illegal to throw out someone's mail... I hold onto it for month then send to the real estate agent who sold us the house, secretly hope they miss important dates because of their laziness 😉
    lol is it? I thought it was illegal to open someone else's mail. meh be that as it may, I've not got the time to be plodding off to the post office to return undelivered mail because people are too lazy/tight to get a redirection on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate this...2years after moving finally have got the stack of mail for the last occupants down to the odd letter.
    We took a pile to the PO every month or so with "RTS - not at this address" in large bold writing. Some of it looked quite important but since they obviously didn't bother redirecting thier mail, I didn't make a huge effort to send it back regularly.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've lived in our house for 3.5 years and still occasionally get letters for previous occupants, though it has slowed significantly, used to be heaps - they were getting more mail than we were! I used to rts them but now they just go in the bin. I figure they can't be important anymore.

Once, a few months after we moved in, we had a girl come to the door and ask if we had any mail for her/her family as she previously lived in our house. She seemed a bit put out when I told her I'd returned everything to sender - as if I'd keep it!! Plus the house was empty for months before we bought it, ample opportunity to get a redirection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I just do RTS- not known at this address. Although after a few months of that, if it looks like junk mail or catalogues I just toss it. I only do RTS for stuff that looks like it might be important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our house was a deceased estate, and even though family get the mail redirected (we see those yellow and black 'do not redirect' letters) we still get heaps of mail for the former owner. Maybe 10 letters a week.
    I write RTS on the front and chuck it in the red post box down the street but it keeps coming. Next step is to call the senders and ask them to stop sending- Heart Foundation sends maybe 3 letters a week so they are first on my call list.

Also note that redirections don't work very well either, its terrible how much gets through even with a redirection in place. We had mail stolen (someone out there has a copy of my drivers licence) so changed over to a post box with a redirection. We still got letters, parcels and important mail sent with a redirection in place, almost like the redirection was just a suggestion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I did RTS for 6 months, called up a few important ones (bills and roads, etc) to let them know the person no longer lived here.
    Then I binned everything- even "important looking" stuff. Not my job to sort their stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenandsquid View Post
    It's illegal to throw out someone's mail... I hold onto it for month then send to the real estate agent who sold us the house, secretly hope they miss important dates because of their laziness ������

The Postal Office Ombudsman points out that it CAN be illegal to dispose of (or open) someone else's mail. Not it, but can be.

ETA:
    Can I just throw it in the bin?

Australia Post is the only body that can legally dispose of mail and there are specific guidelines under which they do it. Interfering with mail may be an offence, so you should return incorrectly delivered mail as advised above.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We rented our house out and when we came back, the tenant obviously didn't bother changing his address. For about 6 months we got stuff from the tax office, lawyers, banks, a heap of letters for unpaid fines, etc etc. I did RTS for all of it, but a few kept on coming. I ended up ringing his bank and cracking it because they just continuously sent stuff, after that they stopped. The fines kept on coming, so I wrote a big note on the front saying "stop sending, this has been going on for 6 months, not at this address" lol it stopped after that.

After that point, I binned it all. It's not my problem if after 6 months he's not going to pay fines or follow up with his super, and after multiple RTS they aren't following him up themselves. It's all stopped now thankfully.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    Rts or take to the real estate as they may have a forwarding address. We get Christmas cards every year for the lady we bought our house off. She hasn't lived here for 9+ years!