+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Rest! Right now. It's the perfect time with your kids out. Get a cleaner too.

I rest as often as I can, it's so important to me staying well and functioning.

Now go and lie down!
    Agreed! Get to the couch now...whilst kids are out.

The housework can wait (I say this though, because I only ever do the bare minimum and have a cleaner in once a fortnight to do floors and bathroom).

I got a nasty chest infection earlier in the year (when about 18 weeks pregnant) and was on ABs. The only way I kicked it was to have my mum look after DS1 for 2 days whilst I just lay on the couch and mostly slept. It wasn't til I got better I realised how unwell I'd been and had been trying to keep doing all the usual things - work, looking after toddler, keeping the house going etc.

You need to take a break so you can get better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks everyone. I did end up having a 2 hour rest on the couch watching TV before picking up the kids. DS is now in bed and DD will be in bed soon so I'll have some left-overs for dinner and go to bed early. I really don't want to get any worse!

Unfortunately I was made redundant just before I was due back from mat leave so we won't get a cleaner until I'm working again, probably next year. I do miss having a cleaner though!

I only have DS tomorrow as DD is in daycare again so I'll try to rest while he's sleeping. Thank goodness he's a good day sleeper, I just wish he'd stop waking 2-3 times a night!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm glad you rested!

I worked through glandular fever not knowing it nearly 2 years ago. It took me a very long time to recover. I ended up taking 6 months long service leave so it impacted on our family in a pretty big way.

Try to think of resting as a short term thing until you're better. Put the other stuff to the back of your mind and focus on your health. Don't feel guilty either, it's drs orders.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Never I can't. I've also been sick with an abscess on my tonsils which ended me up admitted to hospital for about 2 days came home carried on doing everything for everyone it ended up badly with 2 more days in hospital. Came home about two weeks ago got better but now am starting to get sick again and I have not got time to rest.

It's horrible being sick and still having to be a parent and everything else around the house. My DH is good at organizing the kids and that while I'm ill but crap at keeping up the house stuff so getting complete rest isn't so much possible.
    Last edited by zoz; 06-07-2015 at 20:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is totally relevant to me right now! Since having DD I haven't rested whilst being sick. Right now I've been sick for probably three weeks with a cough / cold / chest infection and I just cannot kick it. I've had it three times within the space of a year and it just gets worse each time. I contribute it to not resting. There's just no one to take over I'm thinking next time I get sick I'm just going to make resting happen lol, even if it means putting DD in care for an extra day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Nope, I just go on like I'm fine bc the house falls into ruin if I rest. It makes me really resentful tbh. DH is currently in bed at 7pm bc he feels sick while I battle a borderline migraine with 3 hyper, cranky kids. He's a good dad but the moment there is the slightest thing wrong with him he's in bed but if it's me no one cares

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I try to rest, if at all possible; mainly because most times I'm sick, I just simply don't have the energy to get up and do anything. I figure, as long as the house doesn't burn down, DH can organise simple meals, do laundry, and do nappy changes for DD; and I can get on with getting the house in some sort of order when I'm back to normal (or as normal as it's possible for me to get).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It is very difficult, isn't it? I was diagnosed with breast cancer in January, and have almost finished 6 months of chemotherapy...which makes one vomit, nauseated, and absolutely exhausted. My kids have only just turned 2 and 5, so were 1 and 4 for most of my treatment. I was told to "rest" by my Oncologist, but I couldn't exactly put off washing/ironing/cooking/cleaning for 6 months!!
    My surgery is at the end of this month, and I'll be discharged with a drain tube from my armpit. Again, I am supposed to rest. But as many of you have said, the house goes to Hell in a hand-basket if I just leave things!!
    I think sometimes you have no choice when you have young children...you just have to soilder on.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

yes I rest.

if the place falls apart - I will catch up when I am better.

I am lucky though - firstly DH is pretty good and will step up when he has to, and secondly DD is old enough to be fairly self sufficient if she has to be.

its much harder for others in different situations

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    It's interesting how others are fine with allowing things to fall apart for a short while. I really need to take that on board and stop being such a perfectionist. Start looking after myself and stop wrapping up my value as a person in the housework.

Thanks girls.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Cue  (06-07-2015)