+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Should I cut daughters hair?

My daughter already has very thin hair and she cut it when she was 3 around the front sides, they are finally starting to grow out when last week her twirling her habit went to the extreme and she pulled so much hair from the sides of her hair some bits are nearly bald.... it's devastating... i know its only hair... but it's made me really upset.

I'm not sure if I should leave it because its finally a bit past her shoulders (never had much hair) or cut it to a bob and maybe it wouldn't look so ratty with the short sides.
    But then I won't be able to do plaits or anything. I can't really braid anymore because of the nearly bald spots.

I don't know what to do....

SuperGranny is online now Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would attempt to neaten it all if that was possible. I had my three year old girl give herself a haircut, needed a professional to fix it. I would just wait a few days and see if you can do anything. some hairdressers might not charge for their work if it is not too bad a mess. marie,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolier View Post
    My daughter already has very thin hair and she cut it when she was 3 around the front sides, they are finally starting to grow out when last week her twirling her habit went to the extreme and she pulled so much hair from the sides of her hair some bits are nearly bald.... it's devastating... i know its only hair... but it's made me really upset.

I'm not sure if I should leave it because its finally a bit past her shoulders (never had much hair) or cut it to a bob and maybe it wouldn't look so ratty with the short sides.
    But then I won't be able to do plaits or anything. I can't really braid anymore because of the nearly bald spots.

I don't know what to do....
    Does she have anxiety? This is another form of nail biting. I wouldn't be putting it up etc as your straining the hair so to speak. I would get some silica and try and get that into her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She was doing it every time she watched tv while her sister had her lunch nap. It's been bad for a few days and I decided just before to cut some of it off, I was crying, but looking at it now, I'm so glad I did. It looks a hell of a lot better. It's just touching her shoulders, but because the sides were very short and wispy it kind of blends in more.
    Thanks so much for your help guys!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    11539570_10153027967801270_9170688820496027633_n.jpg
    11659439_10153027967641270_4497948070805000459_n.jpg
    11703158_10153027967881270_1216090745371584290_n.jpg

This is after. Does it look okay? It's hard because of the wispy bits and I've had to part her hair to hide the baldy spots.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Should I cut daughters hair?

It looks good. Great job.

But that bald patch is really extreme and would be painful, she wouldnt be doing it for no reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The hair cut looks much better.
    I would probably see a gp, that would be hurting her to do. Is she anxious?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I did go to the doctor about it last thursday because it was really worrying me and she said not to worry, said she see's it often. Said I should give her things to hold while she does things like tv. All her life she has had a little soft toy and only in the last few months she only has the toy at night for sleep and when she had it through the day she would pat it and play with it's tail.

And she isn't anxious at all, quite the opposite, very relaxed. she seems to have only been doing it when she was watching tv. Today is the first day since last week I've let her watch tv and i've had her hold onto a couple of things and it seems to be working as i watch her little fingers play with the caterpillar

Thanks
    Reviews
    It looks great short!! Suits her!

Maybe she isn't ready to let go of her teddy/toy just yet or she just gets too distracted watching TV. If the doctor reassured you I'm sure it's fine x