+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    Hi, where is the best place to go to find out if your child is "gifted". Sorry, I don't know a better word!!
    My DS seems to pick up things pretty quickly. He has just turned 3 and can already recognise letters, knows his left and right and has amazing vocabulary. He is extremely interested in how things work and seems to study the workings of everything he plays with. He gets bored easily and would rather read books then play with toys. I'm not sure what is normal for this age!
    Any advice would be great!
    i would wait until preschool/ kinder & discuss with either your gp at the 4yo health check, or the preschool teachers should definitely notice of he is gifted in some areas. At this stage, the best you can do for him is extend his learning &follow his lead as to what he is interested in. For example, if he is interested in 'tinkering' & how electronics work, give him an old dvd player with the power cord removed (so he doesnt tey to plug ir in when youre not looking!) &a screwdriver to pull it apart.

There is such a huge range of 'normal'in this age group. My 2.5yo DD can read all of her letters &can write some letters &can write her name & a couple of other words (mum, her siblings name, etc). She knew all her colours & shapes & could count for at least a year or so. Has a great memory & can recount events, speaks in full sentences, etc. All within the normal range at this age!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (06-07-2015)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS was an only child for years so it wasn't until I put him in 3 year old kinder that I had actual professionals comment on him and his intelligence. Prior to that I had no idea that he was in the gifted category, I thought all kids were like him. I remember at age 2 he had learned to recognise the entire alphabet. I'd made flashcards and I'd hold up a random letter and he'd recognize it. His vocab was outstanding and his knowledge and understanding of the world around him was uncanny. One particular incident that has stuck with me forever was of him being in his baby seat in the car, not yet talking beyond a few words and we were driving to my mum's house, we were nearing her street and he said "nanna".. He had recognised the area.
    By a very early age he was able to correctly name every capitol city and it's country.. this would have been in about grade 2. It was self taught as he was obsessed with maps and flags. When he was 4 I took him into a toy shop and said he could pick a toy and he picked a world globe.
    During his first month of prep I received a letter from the school saying he had been chosen to take part in a special philosophy program. It was 2 children from each year level picked to participate in a group that met instead of doing regular classes.
    He won the student of the year excellence award at his year 6 graduation and was accepted into a select entry accelerated learning program upon starting year 7.

DD is displaying exactly the same traits and at not quite 3 can recite and recognise all letters and numbers, has been speaking in complete sentences since before the age of 2 and can count to 30 unassisted. She can hold a complete adult conversation and write and recognise her name. @Little Miss Sunshine your post rang so true for me, I can totally relate to feeling like people think it's bragging so I've never attempted to have either of my kids formally tested but am thinking once DD reaches 4 I'll discuss it with her teachers.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 06-07-2015 at 01:32.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (06-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3 year old "gifted"?!!

Most child psychologists can run the WISC test during a standard session at no extra cost.
    That said, if you wait until prep your independent or private primary school should be able to organise for you- I'm under the impression public school will only test if checking the other end of the spectrum.
    My dd11 skipped grade 4 and for her personal development it was the best thing that could have happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure what purpose it would serve having a "gifted" diagnosis for a 3 year old? Unless it's about you being able to tell people your child is gifted? Just continue to provide interesting and enriching opportunities for your LO. A gifted label would serve no purpose at this age.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whirligig For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (06-07-2015),billykate  (06-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi. Testing such as the WISC can only be done after 6 years of age. Also it must be done by an accredited person. Toddler years don't give accurate results for intelligence.
    OP it may be that your child is very bright and meeting milestones. And progressing rapidly.
    I would simply keep doing what you're doing. Remember kids mainly want our love and attention and nurturing. Keep reading stories and playing games. Keep socializing too as gifted children can often (not always) struggle emotionally and socially.
    Like other posters have said I would wait until prep etc and see how he's going.
    A gifted child should possess three characteristics - independent learning, picks up new concepts rapidly with little repetition and curious/self motivated.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

billykate  (06-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 3 year old "gifted"?!!

Following.
    My daughter is 2 and knows the alphabet, counts to 20, recognises certain words, knows all her colours and shapes and speaks like an adult and I'm fairly certain I should be doing more in terms of nurturing that. OP like your DS my daughter has absolutely no interest in toys and would rather sit surrounded by books and read.
    Last edited by FirstTimeMummy2012; 06-07-2015 at 07:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirligig View Post
    Not sure what purpose it would serve having a "gifted" diagnosis for a 3 year old? Unless it's about you being able to tell people your child is gifted? Just continue to provide interesting and enriching opportunities for your LO. A gifted label would serve no purpose at this age.
    I 100% agree with this. I would not bother having a 3yo tested.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (06-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    You need to see a psychologist for formal testing.
    From experience they prefer the child to be 4 or over to test.
    This. DDs psyc is doing a 'global assessment' towards the end of this year to see 'where she's at prior to starting kindy'. She's 5 and at the stage will be going into a composite K-1 class and provided with some year 2 work. Sounds like you have a bright little boy on your hands! Its exhausting trying to keep them amused isn't!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely streets ahead my 3.5 year old! I think if I were in your shoes I would leave any formal testing until in school years & nurture and do what you can until then :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son was the same at 3 years, knew every single letter and number by sight, and well and truly seemed gifted to me. He was a long long way in front of his peers at that age.

He's now 5.5 and in prep, and he's only at the slightly higher end of normal, so while he was and still is ahead, everyone pretty much caught up, and I'm certain now that he does not fit into the "gifted" category, while at that age, I was almost certain that he was.