+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Biting and weaning?

Hi all, I'm reaching out for anyone else's experiences and thoughts on weaning due to their baby biting. My little girl (who turned one last Tuesday) has been biting me for the last 3 weeks with most breastfeeds and frequently draws blood! She has had and still does have her first teeth coming through (four top and two bottom teeth) so there is an explanation for it. I’ve tried all the usual tips… Taking her off and putting her on the floor, firmly saying "no biting", explaining that “she’s hurting Mummy” and stopping the feed but she just grins at me, so I have to end the feed. I've tried Bonjela before a feed with no difference, I’ve also tried teething toys and a cold flannel for her to chew but nothing is working. The only way I had been able to do a full feed was when she was asleep, however now she’s often biting even when she’s asleep. My nipples are really damaged and hurt so much to put her on and they are now bleeding a lot each time she feeds and I also have a lump forming in my breast because the feeding is all over the place in terms of frequency and duration depending on whether she’s biting or not. I’ve also expressed a couple of times to try and get her to take a bottle but she won’t drink from a bottle she just bites and plays with it. I’m thinking I may have to wean her as I don’t think I’ll be able to attach her soon as my nipples are getting more and more damaged. I’m now scared of, and dreading, the feeds because of the pain. On the flip side I feel really teary and emotional as I didn’t think I’d be weaning her this early (as I breastfed my older girl until just before she was 2 years old when she self- weaned) and I feel sad if this is it as she’s my last bub and I think I’ll miss the one-on-one time we had before she started biting. I’m worried that she’ll still want a feed and if I’ve weaned her I’ll be letting her down by not having anything there. I also feel a bit like I’m letting her down on the bonding and nutrition front by not persevering but I don’t know how to continue with it hurting this much and she doesn’t look like stopping biting anytime soon… I would love to hear anyone else’s thoughts and if others have reluctantly weaned due to intolerable biting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm sorry you are going thru this. Some kids are biters and it's difficult. When my kids bit me I used to put them on the ground and walk out of the room. Within a week they worked out that it wasn't an option if they wanted booby.

The other option is using a shield whilst you feed?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

buttonbub  (04-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your thoughts Rose&Aurelia. BB.