+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wish we only had a few hundred in union fees. DH pays $12 / week in union fees. I think that's very expensive

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    I can't imagine 2-3 grand in deductions there would not be much to claim in this job maybe laundry allowance if they still do that haha
    We usually have charitable donations, laundry, uniform costs, union fees, car usage and other incidentals. Usually amounts to 3-4k per year.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    We only had significant deductions when we had our investment property.
    We now will have few hundred in union fees, and no more than $104 in washing
    Have you seen an accountant? That doesn't sound like enough...

I claim a percentage of power, phone etc for work done at home, computer and home office, car expenses (can claim up to 5000k without log books only diary entries), charity, stationery, sunglasses and sunscreen...that's just what I can think of. All work related.
    Last edited by Acadaca; 05-07-2015 at 07:39.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    Have you seen an accountant? That doesn't sound like enough...

I claim a percentage of power, phone etc for work done at home, computer and home office, car expenses (can claim up to 5000k without log books only diary entries), charity, stationery, sunglasses and sunscreen...that's just what I can think of. All work related.
    What about if you have an inside job (no sunnies or sunscreen) where you aren't required to work from home or drive anywhere in your car? And yes, I know that you CAN claim 5000k without a logbook but if you are audited you have to be able to justify it which means getting your employer to write a letter to say it is needed.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (05-07-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (05-07-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (05-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    the 5,000 km needs to be substantiated. it's not a free deduction that the ATO will just accept. esp where your gross income is so low.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lolly007 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (05-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get most of my deductions from travel (yes it's justified even on a part time income) I also claim washing, work boots when I need them, a portion of mobile phone and internet as we use our personal mobile for work related purposes. I didn't realise how much I could actually claim until I saw an accountant

10. The Following User Says Thank You to InvisibleWoman For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (05-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    What about if you have an inside job (no sunnies or sunscreen) where you aren't required to work from home or drive anywhere in your car? And yes, I know that you CAN claim 5000k without a logbook but if you are audited you have to be able to justify it which means getting your employer to write a letter to say it is needed.
    My accountant only asks for diary entries, no letter from employer required. I don't rort the system and can justify any k's I do, I was just suggesting further deductions in case they weren't known as $200 is very low to claim. Of course if you have a completely inside job you won't claim sunnies...again it an example of what can be claimed.

As I said, I think it's best to see an accountant. In my experience they hide you lots of pointers on claims you may not be aware of and make sure that you have all docs necessary to substantiate your claim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    My accountant only asks for diary entries, no letter from employer required. I don't rort the system and can justify any k's I do, I was just suggesting further deductions in case they weren't known as $200 is very low to claim. Of course if you have a completely inside job you won't claim sunnies...again it an example of what can be claimed.

As I said, I think it's best to see an accountant. In my experience they hide you lots of pointers on claims you may not be aware of and make sure that you have all docs necessary to substantiate your claim.
    Yeah as a nurse you can claim bugger all.

Union fees $150, registration $150.

Then I usually get a new pair of shoes so claim those.

If you pay for a course you can claim that - but nope not done that in a few years.

Little bit for washing. Taxable donations - under $100.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (05-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My cousin however claims thousands. He is a head chef at a restaurant.

He can claim meals out as research. Expensive cheese and other ingredients as research. So not fair

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Taxable income

Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    My cousin however claims thousands. He is a head chef at a restaurant.

He can claim meals out as research. Expensive cheese and other ingredients as research. So not fair
    DF does this too I love it haha