+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Allergy baby breastfeeding total elimination diet

I was a whole foods gluten free vegan when bubs was born. But 2 days post birth she was already showing allergy symptoms. So at first I cut out all top 8, then things like spices, latex foods etc until at 4 months I did a TED of rice, peas, pears & spinach which lasted 3weeks but she did not improve (only her eczema cleared up). So I went drastic and decided to eat only ONE food at a time. I started with rice & after 3 days she was WORSE. So I switched to sweet potatoes (which I hate) and at day three her symptoms remain except she is sleeping a bit better at night (up to three hour stretches). I'm thinking of trying maybe coconuts (I need some fats and I love them) or dates? I am desperate to reach a baseline not only to help bubs but for my sanity too. Should I keep trying three days of mono foods or do another 4 item list? And which foods should I try? She's also allergic to perfume, nickel & hates every fibre except cotton.

Family history: my dad is anaphylactic to penicillin. I had eczema & asthma as a kid. Allergic to grass. Intolerant to dairy, beans, legumes. Don't digest melons, apples, peppers & quinoa well. Aversion to cooked Orange veg (sweet pots, carrots, pumpkin).

I've booked her in for osteo and kinesiology - allergists have a 6-12month waiting list.

My eldest daughter at the time was diagnosed with severe colic but looking back I realize it was allergies. I went through 3 years of hell with her, her insomnia meant I was lucky to get 3 hours a night - my body can't take another 3 years.

I can live off of 4 foods but I just need to find out what they are!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are you doing this under supervision? I wouldn't attempt anything so restrictive without close monitoring from a Dr and dietitian. You could end up seriously deficient in essential vitamins and minerals which can cause damage to your body. I realise you are doing this for your child (I did elimination for both my babies but they weren't as severe as yours sounds) but your health is important too.

Have all other potential issues been ruled out? Are you positive the issues are due to allergies? I know several children with anaphylactic allergies who didn't react to the offending food being present in their mother's diets when breastfeeding.

It sounds awful, I hope you find a solution and your DD feels better soon. My DD screamed in pain for 3 months as a baby until we figured out what was going on (intolerance, not allergy) and made the decision to put her on prescription formula - best thing we did, she was finally a well baby and started to thrive.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (03-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Her symptoms are: watery/red/weeping eyes, congestion/mucous/sneezing, rashes, vomiting, green/mucous/frothy BMs, gas/fussiness/crying, insomnia, red/rough cheeks, eczema/dermatitis

I log everything I eat in an app that records absolutely detailed nutritional breakdown and I'm hitting at least 75% of my needs mostly more as I'm eating very large quantities

I've got a referral for an allergist but my dr already warned me waiting times are a minimu of 6 months and I can't let be this way that long

Non food allergies like dust mites have crossed my mind as well as salycilates

I will check out that fed up site

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh my goodness that sounds so restrictive. I watched a friend go through a similar situation so I know how stressful it can be. For such an extreme and complex situation you really need professional help but I also do know how difficult that can be to find. Hugs to you!
    A few things that you might want to think about and look up. Are you looking into healing the gut as well as restricting foods? How old is bub? How are you planning on introducing solids? Are you and bub going to eat a vegan diet? Gut healing diets usually involve bone broths. Have you looked at the Weston A Price website? Look it up.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Those symptoms sound more like intolerance than allergy. If it were an allergy I would expect things like temporary red blotchy skin, swelling, coughing (restricted airways) or immediate and obvious distress. Intolerances have delayed symptoms like eczema, green/mucousy/frothy poo (DDs looked like nuclear sludge!), colicky behaviour, tummy pain, gas, reflux, and poor weight gain.

If she's suffering so much discomfort despite your efforts to make such extreme dietary changes, please consider talking to a paed about trying a prescription formula (hydrolyzed and very easily tolerated) or over-the-counter partially hydrolyzed formula like AllerPro.

I desperately wanted to breastfeed my babies and did my absolute best, but it was destroying me physically and emotionally and DD in particular could have become extremely unwell if I'd persisted. From your intro I suspect you're not keen on formula but it can literally be a life-saver.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (04-07-2015),Tamtam  (22-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would recommend seeing a dietician Who specializes in lactation issues. I used one in Perth when I was having issues with DD. She was fabulous and from memory I could eat pears, cashew nuts, rice milk and I can't remember what else. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    UPDATE:

On a diet of millet/rhubarb/fennel/maple syrup/lettuce I cleared up EVERY SYMPTOM except for her bad sleeping. After 1 week of her being symptom free I started challenges, and after each one she reacted in some way so I still havent been able to include anything new yet except for dates and pears which I dont like.

I got her in to see a pediatric allergist and she told me "What you eat doesnt affect your baby, Foods you eat wont cause allergic reactions in her.

Ï politely showd her my detailed food journal and pics of bubs before and after I had cleared her symptoms even her eczema and then when I would reintroduce the foods how they would flare again but she maintained that my breastmilk wasn't affecting her.

She told me to eat whatever I wanted and to start bubs on these solids - peanut butter, eggs, dairy, soy, sesame, wheat and fish - the top 8 allergens. she said giveher antihistmaines if she has a reaction and if her eczema comes back just put steriod cream on it.

I came home very dismayed as this goes against my intinct and my experience with her. I KNOW what I eat affects her as she used to be a very sick baby and now shes symptom free and happy.
    My gut is telling me to stayon the diet while i ntroudce the less allergenic foods like cooked apple, pumpkin etc. and if she doesnt react to them I'll put them back in my diet.

Its hard though to go against what the professional says but Im thinking my way would be less harmful to bubs.

I will also maybe cut back feeding on demand as Ive read the more frequent feedings can cause the sleeping issues, which she still has.

Thanks for your help ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't know much about the allergies or intolerances but I've been having issues with baby taking small frequent feeds as he was taking in too much sugary foremilk and getting very gassy, colicky, green frothy poo etc. so I've been trying to get him to go longer between feeds, (at least 2 hours) block feeding for 3 hours at a time and hand expressing about 20-30mls before each feed. While he's still quite colicky the amount of gas he's producing seems better and the poo is now normal yellow colour.
    He's still a bad sleeper and has the typical 3am colic which lasts for hours but I do think there has been an improvement.
    As you said your baby is feeding regularly may be worth trying a few things just in case she's gettin an imbalance of fore and hind milk. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Did she do skin prick testing on bub? How old is she?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely think lactose overload could be to blame for the sleep/poop/fussiness so going ot try 3 hour block feeding and see how it goes (bubsweighs over 9kg at 5months so yeh,, obv she feeds a lot)

the allergist didnt do the prick test as she said its not very reliable for kids as young as 5months - she said i should go staright to giving her the food itself and see if she gets hives, vomitting, mucous poops etc

so i am starting with safer foods rather than going straight for peanut butter like she recommended