+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Broken thumb

Random question..
    Just wanting to ask anyone who can tell me the symptoms of a broken or fractured thumb.

DP smacked his thumb with a tool at work yesterday and looking at it it looks terrible. The swelling is ridiculous, at least double the size. Small amount of movement but not a lot. He said it's sore but he never lets on when something is painful, he could barely change a nappy last night without pain so I'd say it hurts more than he's letting on.
    There's barely any bruising though? Is that a good or bad sign? Lol.

He's gone to work today but can't really move his thumb.
    I'm trying to convince him to go to the doctor but that's like talking a brick wall. If I can get an idea of weather you ladies think it's possibly broken then I may have some more leverage haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not certain about a thumb, but dh broke his little finger, he had small amount of movement and no bruising. He went to the dr after a few days and had to have surgery to fix it. I'd get him checked out, what's the worst that can happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleWoman View Post
    I'm not certain about a thumb, but dh broke his little finger, he had small amount of movement and no bruising. He went to the dr after a few days and had to have surgery to fix it. I'd get him checked out, what's the worst that can happen.
    Thanks for your reply. I think he would rather put it off and pretend it's fine instead of at least getting it checked. I'd say he doesn't want to think about surgery and the possibility that his work will make him take time off (which he would hate) hopefully I can see if he will go to the doctor and at least have it checked, he would have to leave work because it's closed by the time he finishes today. He's so stubborn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well doesn't matter if I want him to go to the doctor, he's refused and said he's positive it's fractured but the pains manageable. So pointless in trying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Alleyoop,

No real way of knowing whether it's fractured or not unless he has an x-Ray, the swelling in itself would restrict movement and may not necessarily be a fracture. If it happened at work it would be covered under Workers Comp Insurance and although work will want him to take time off he doesn't necessarily need to take time off and could do something lighter at work while his thumb heals.

Also any workplace would definitely not want him off work if they run the risk of a lost time injury because it impacts on their insurance premiums, trust me they will find something/anything for him to do to keep him at work if they can 😀

Hope this helps, if you need anymore info pls let me know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If he doesn't get it checked he might lose function in it. My dad was the same after smashing his finger. When they finally got him to hospital turned out he had scattered the bone in several places needed surgery a wire and pins if he hadn't he'd had lost the finger. He really needs get it checked.

Sent from my D5503 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any chance you could contact his boss? I know mine would be wanting me to get checked out if there was the possibility something was wrong and could get worse.
    Dh put his off too because he was an idiot and punched something and didn't want to admit how he did it. It may not have needed surgery if it was looked at earlier.
    Men hey??! They have to be stubborn

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you both for your replies.

I told him I wanted him to see a doctor so at least if it's simply fixed it's done, he doesn't need to worry about it. I said if he leaves it and it doesn't get fixed and he requires surgery he will be really annoyed about it and only have himself to blame.
    He mentioned that if he said something at work he'd have to do the whole workers comp and he doesn't want to.
    I guess I can try and convince him when he comes home but I don't think I'll get anywhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleWoman View Post
    Any chance you could contact his boss? I know mine would be wanting me to get checked out if there was the possibility something was wrong and could get worse.
    Dh put his off too because he was an idiot and punched something and didn't want to admit how he did it. It may not have needed surgery if it was looked at earlier.
    Men hey??! They have to be stubborn
    I could contact his boss but I can only imagine the arguments that would come from that. He's telling me he's likely going to play golf tomorrow so he's just gonna make it harder for himself and I'm getting annoyed at him because he's just being stubborn!!
    Grrr! Men exactly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The other thing is if he doesn't do it quickly the work cover claim might be impacted - they could refuse to pay him for the whole healing time because of the 'likelihood that playing golf made the injury worse' or some kind of work cover blame shifting.