+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I would choose Gawler over the suburbs you have mentioned as well :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't move out that way with the influx of no jobs at the moment due to holdens closing then the domino affect.

We have a huge 4x4 and we manage to park at masons lakes. I would also look at public transport (depending where you may work/kids/husbands work).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Have you thought of the new playford alive estate. Mark oliphant college is really nice, 40 minutes by train to the city and lots of private schools in the city that are not far to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all

Thanks for the web sites for the private schools. I had a look into some earlier but from the info I got regarding fees for a couple of private schools worked out to 300 per week for two children? Seems excessive?

We do have a large car - but the car parks here are ridiculously narrow so probably wont notice too much of a difference in MLakes
    I had looked at Gawler/Hewitt but didn't get great vibes from the schools the myschool web site put me off a little with the scores - not sure if that is an accurate sort of thing to go by?! However the area looks nice.

I'm truly curious though why it is that people aren't that keen on Greenwith or Golden grove as a suburb? I did get the impression doing some research that the primary schools are ok but the high schools better private. But are the suburbs themselves not good?

Thanks so much for these replies, it's tricky decision making and I really want to get as much info as I can, & appreciate it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Those suburbs are just far away....well that's how it feels to me. I don't live in the northern suburbs but if I was going to I would want to live closer to the city, and I have no idea what suburbs they would be....but they are just far away from the city & beach.

I live in the inner western suburbs and love it, but understand what your saying about your DH's work. Good luck making a decision 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would recommend gawler and cznt speak highly enough of Trinity college in gawler, its a private school with multiple campuses but its amazing.
    Www.trinity.sa.edu.au
    Last edited by kezanazz; 02-07-2015 at 22:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicsta83 View Post
    Those suburbs are just far away....well that's how it feels to me. I don't live in the northern suburbs but if I was going to I would want to live closer to the city, and I have no idea what suburbs they would be....but they are just far away from the city & beach.

I live in the inner western suburbs and love it, but understand what your saying about your DH's work. Good luck making a decision 😉
    We live in "those" suburbs. Its 1/2 hour drive to the city, 40minutes on the train.
    Its also 20 minutes to semaphore beach

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MAJS View Post
    Thank you all

Thanks for the web sites for the private schools. I had a look into some earlier but from the info I got regarding fees for a couple of private schools worked out to 300 per week for two children? Seems excessive?

We do have a large car - but the car parks here are ridiculously narrow so probably wont notice too much of a difference in MLakes
    I had looked at Gawler/Hewitt but didn't get great vibes from the schools the myschool web site put me off a little with the scores - not sure if that is an accurate sort of thing to go by?! However the area looks nice.

I'm truly curious though why it is that people aren't that keen on Greenwith or Golden grove as a suburb? I did get the impression doing some research that the primary schools are ok but the high schools better private. But are the suburbs themselves not good?

Thanks so much for these replies, it's tricky decision making and I really want to get as much info as I can, & appreciate it
    Personally I wouldn't go off the myschool website and would arrange to visit adelaide. When you visit there, see which areas you like and then visit the schools in the area. You will get a much better idea of what you do and don't like.

As for areas and people's opinions, adelaide is very much like canberra with the north / south rivalry and distance to travel between etc. In reality it is very similar to canberra where peak hour isn't all that bad and to travel around and get from one area to another is quite easy. We would do it frequently visiting family both north and south when we lived near the city.

Each area in adelaide, like canberra, has its good and bad pockets. I was always told that as long as you stay east of main north road, it's a pretty safe bet.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is nothing wrong with the majority of north/north eastern suburbs of Adelaide. Just like anywhere in all states or territories, there will always be pockets that aren't that good but that is the minority.

What suburb will your DH be working in?

I've lived in the northern suburbs for a large portion of my life, 1 suburb over from Mawson's. Have had very few problems. I work 10-15 mins away and it is close and accessible for alot of things. Public transport, shops, close to the expressway to the beach.

Now I'm not going to make any friends here but if you've never lived north/north eastern, where does your expertise on the area come from?? Assuming what somewhere is like to live doesn't hold any cred. I would never try to give an opinion on an area I haven't experienced whether that be east, south or west.

Sorry for derailing OP but anyone bagging the north from assumptions gives me the s#it$.

Good luck with finding an area that encompasses most, if not all, the things you are looking for in a suburb

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoping4asticky1 For This Useful Post:

Kazzy36  (03-07-2015),munchkin275  (02-07-2015),Renn  (02-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't lived in any of the suburbs you mention, but have worked in many of the Northern Suburbs high schools. This thread really makes me cringe, so I'll keep my suggestions short:
    1. Ignore Myschool
    2. Please, please don't listen to advice about schools based purely on hearsay and reputation. I've taught in many of the "worst" schools and would happily send my children to them. As for Mark Oliphant College which a previous poster mentioned... I'd be loathe to send my child there given the treatment of a student, by the senior staff, that I witnessed there. It's not all about how a school appears to outsiders.