+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Being passed over at work

I just need to vent a bit!

Before I had my bubba i was working 3 days a week and stated i wanted to come back to do exactly the same after mat leave. I came back when I said i would but had to chase up my boss to confirm the days for day care then he wanted to give me 2 days not 3. At the end of the year someone else left and I asked if i could take up one of their days and do an extra one to bring things back to 3 days. My boss rambled and basically said no... then hired someone else.

thinking i wasn't going to get anywhere i started looking elsewhere for an extra day and now that I have one my boss is annoyed at me, saying i could have worked for him??? When i said i asked for an extra day before he admitted he didn't give me the days in case i get pregnant again and take leave again. ARGH. if you're not going to give me the hours then why so annoyed i looked for something else? Did i do the wrong thing? I 'm contracted and there's no bar on having other jobs. Actually I feel quite resentful myself for his later admission.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh he is treading on very very thin ice legally. Making an admission like that could get him into a lot of trouble.

I would be super annoyed too!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (02-07-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (02-07-2015),Rueblade  (02-07-2015),Sethysmum  (02-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Your boss has no right to be annoyed at you!

You asked for an extra day, he couldn't offer it. It should be no surprise to him that you found extra work.

Agree with Wise Enough, his admission as to why he didn't offer you an extra day is actually discriminatory.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (02-07-2015),Rueblade  (02-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No you did not do the wrong thing!

obviously your boss knows you are good at your job and wants to keep you around for when it suits him, not you.

TBH I would be looking for work elsewhere, as you had an agreement of 3 days work and are not getting it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Rueblade  (02-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    DH went through something similar except not for mat leave. He was getting a decent amount of hours, excellent worker that never called in sick or passed up shifts. Then a new manager come in and gave all his shifts to cheaper employees. He begged for more work to be told he was too expensive. So he went and got another job to top him up. Work would call him and he would say sorry I'm working at my other job today and they got really annoyed with him, like it was ok to give him next to no hours but he was to wait by the phone and not work elsewhere for the moment they needed him.

My understanding is what he is doing is illegal. Both to take a day off you, and to do so bc you may have another baby. If it were me I'd be looking for another job @ 3 days a week. I wouldn't do anything rash but when you find something that gives you the hours you want say goodbye.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Rueblade  (02-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I just really needed to get it off my chest. I can't see things working long term in the job if it's this way so I'm going to see if I can find somewhere else to go which is more family friendly. I'm quite sad about it as I've built a good client base and it's hard to start again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you haven't been considered for a an extra day based on the possibility of getting pregnant again, then that is discrimination.

I'm surprised your boss is naive enough to actually say those words out loud to you.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigmummahen For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (02-07-2015),DT75  (02-07-2015),Rueblade  (02-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boss is many things unfortunately....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He's openly discriminated against you. Unbelievable. Do you have an ht department? He's putting the business at risk with his statements.

You could easily put a complaint in against him but it would be understandable if you want to work it out with him directly.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

Rueblade  (02-07-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    surprising that he actually admitted it.

and then to get annoyed with you for finding extra work somewhere else is just too frustrating ...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Rueblade  (02-07-2015)