+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Food for our holiday

Hi

We are going to a Big 4 holiday park for 4 nights/ 5 days. It is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from home. We are doing a few activities on our way.

We are staying in a cabin which has a basic kitchen.

I am lost for ideas on what to take for food.

My children are 8 and 11. We have never been to anything like this usually we go to a hotel where we buy all the food.

We only have a smallish size esky and our ice bricks are not that fantastic.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are doing a camping trip next week and have the same problem. The campervan we have hired comes with a frying pan and 1 saucepan.
    I'm going to try and do stir fry and rice with different types of meat. My boys are dairy free and fussy as hell though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie Stackedhouse For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (01-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    Hi

We are going to a Big 4 holiday park for 4 nights/ 5 days. It is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from home. We are doing a few activities on our way.

We are staying in a cabin which has a basic kitchen.

I am lost for ideas on what to take for food.

My children are 8 and 11. We have never been to anything like this usually we go to a hotel where we buy all the food.

We only have a smallish size esky and our ice bricks are not that fantastic.

Any ideas?
    Shop after you get there and have seen the kitchen. They will probably also have a BBQ area you can use.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (01-07-2015)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I suggest you just look at what you normally eat for breakfast and lunch, and organise to cover those meals. as for dinner each night, simple one pot meals, or even bbq sausages and nice salad if you have enough space in the esky. will you be able to buy supplies each day? or even the odd meal of hot chips and a hamburger. work out how many meals you will be eating, and then fill up on fresh fruit or bread. marie.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (02-07-2015),PomPoms  (01-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last time we stayed at a Big4 there was a supermarket nearby and we brought a roast chicken one night and served it with baked potatoes (I had packed tin foil and glad wrap from home) with sour cream, coleslaw and cheese, and cooked some corn on the cob. Another 2 nights we had a BBQ with salad and bread and one night we went out for dinner to the local surf club.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (01-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree - check if there is a supermarket nearby.

Otherwise, how about making a bolognese sauce in advance and freezing it? Then you just need to cook the pasta and heat the sauce.

Or buying some of the dried couscous packets (with the flavouring that you just add water to), and fry a meat of your choice with salad.

BBQ - Big4's almost always have one

Gozlemes- cut up a filling that you like (we do silverbeet, feta, red onion and cheddar cheese) and put some between 2 tortillas on the frypan. Fry one side then turn it over and do the other side. Putting a heavy pan on top of the top tortilla helps it to stick together. Yum.

Trying to think of other things...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gizmo For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (02-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone for the ideas!

I am pretty sure there will be a supermarket not so far away.

I have breakfast and some snack things to take with us. I reckon it might be best to go to the supermarket after we have checked in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah if there's a supermarket easier to buy fresh stuff there.

Otherwise when camping I used to cook and freeze before going. That way less to cook plus the frozen meals help keep things cold in the esky.

I used to do a spag Bol, cook pasta there. Curry, cook rice there. Sometimes one of those chicken tonight jars and would cook rice there. We also used to take BBQ stuff for one night.

Oh and the best way I found to store was either in zip lock or those vacuum seal bags once we bought a vacuum seal machine. If you zip lock I would double bag them

14. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (02-07-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yep - pretty much what the others said

take stapes like butter/marg, salt, sugar, tea, coffee, cereal etc and buy fresh food and meat when you get there.