+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help with 8 month old!

We need help. Dd is 8 months old. A month ago we moved interstate. Prior to that, we were co-sleeping part time. This started becoming an issue so I spoke with my MCH nurse who said don't do anything until we are settled in our new home. Well, we've been here a month. I'm sick of co-sleeping. It's not working. Dd doesn't seep soundly at all. She thrashes about and wakes frequently.
    I looked up the tresillian sleep techniques and we are trying hands on settling in the cot. It isn't going well. We had a week where it was going ok, but then DD got sick so all bets were off. Now we are back to trying to settle her to sleep in the cot and it's back to square one. She won't do it. It's separation anxiety to the max. If I try to put her down awake but drowsy, but she wakes herself up and either cries or wants to play. The only decent sleep she has is if I sit with her in my arms. That doesn't work for me. I have stuff to do. Like cooking and laundry and showering and eating. We are all tired. Why won't she just sleep in her bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have any helpful advice (I cosleep with my almost 1yo) but couldn't read and run. I'm sending virtual hugs and bumping this incase someone has actual advice.

Have you considered sleep school?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

Mrs Snowman  (30-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Very similar to us in ways, my daughter used to scream when I put her down and wouldn't stop screaming. Dd is now 9 months and in the last 2-3 weeks I can just put her in her cot awake and she puts herself to sleep. She seems to have just passed it on her own.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Mrs Snowman  (30-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What is bubs day routine like? Naps? Milk? Solids? Bedtime?

Do you have at least 20 minutes 'break' between milk feeds and bed?
    Is bub using a dummy?
    How is solids intake? 3 meals per day with at least 1/3 protein (eg meat).

Does bub have a comforter which you use at every sleep time and only sleep time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Snowman View Post
    . If I try to put her down awake but drowsy, but she wakes herself up and either cries or wants to play.
    Do you pat/cuddle bub till bub is sleepy and then put bub in the cot? If so try putting bub in the cot first and then doing a shush/pat until bub is drowsy. Always put bub to sleep where you intend bub to wake. Transferring bub when bub is drowsy/asleep is a key cause of waking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Very similar to us in ways, my daughter used to scream when I put her down and wouldn't stop screaming. Dd is now 9 months and in the last 2-3 weeks I can just put her in her cot awake and she puts herself to sleep. She seems to have just passed it on her own.
    Well that's reassuring. She used to do that sometimes. I remember a yoga class once where she looked tired so I gave her a dummy and she rolled over and fell asleep on the mat. Now she just wants to be touching me at all times. I feel smothered!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    What is bubs day routine like? Naps? Milk? Solids? Bedtime?

Do you have at least 20 minutes 'break' between milk feeds and bed?
    Is bub using a dummy?
    How is solids intake? 3 meals per day with at least 1/3 protein (eg meat).

Does bub have a comforter which you use at every sleep time and only sleep time?
    On non daycare days we get up, have solids then a bf, then a play and I try to put her down around 10. Things get a bit messier after that and I just kind of read her. If she has a good sleep, she will only have one more day nap in the afternoon. If I can't get her to sleep for a decent amount of time, she'll normally have 2 more naps. One after lunch and one late afternoon. I'd really like her to have 2 good day naps. I'm working on getting her to sleep in the cot for her naps. We have a dummy and I'm trying to build a sleep association with a particular blanket.
    Atm I'm trying to cuddle/pat/shush her in my arms until she is calm and really drowsy, then transfer and pat/shush until she's asleep. I'm trying to reduce the amount of hands on settling and can sometimes get her to drift off just holding my finger. Last night I just had to sit there. If I put her down in the cot awake and try to settle her in there from the start, she just cries and gets all worked up and I have to pick her up, or she wakes herself up and wants to play.
    If she wakes up and I'm not sitting there, she is like inconsolable in seconds and I have to pick her up to re-settle her.
    She isn't fantastic with solids. We offer 3/day but she very rarely eats a significant amount.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How long should it take for this to start working?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Snowman View Post
    On non daycare days we get up, have solids then a bf, then a play and I try to put her down around 10. Things get a bit messier after that and I just kind of read her. If she has a good sleep, she will only have one more day nap in the afternoon. If I can't get her to sleep for a decent amount of time, she'll normally have 2 more naps. One after lunch and one late afternoon. I'd really like her to have 2 good day naps. I'm working on getting her to sleep in the cot for her naps. We have a dummy and I'm trying to build a sleep association with a particular blanket.
    Atm I'm trying to cuddle/pat/shush her in my arms until she is calm and really drowsy, then transfer and pat/shush until she's asleep. I'm trying to reduce the amount of hands on settling and can sometimes get her to drift off just holding my finger. Last night I just had to sit there. If I put her down in the cot awake and try to settle her in there from the start, she just cries and gets all worked up and I have to pick her up, or she wakes herself up and wants to play.
    If she wakes up and I'm not sitting there, she is like inconsolable in seconds and I have to pick her up to re-settle her.
    She isn't fantastic with solids. We offer 3/day but she very rarely eats a significant amount.
    What time does bub get up on non-daycare days and what time is bed time?

What routine does bub have on daycare days (wake in morning, naps, bedtime).

What sort of solids do you feed bub (meat, veg, fruits) , what consistency (BLW, purée etc) and via what format (fingers, spoon etc).

What temperature is it in bubs room at bedtime and then through the night? What bedding (clothes, tog sleeping bag, nr blankets etc) is bub in?

I've got a few idea however without more detail on the bub it's too early to say.