+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Refund for flights

Hi ladies

We recently had to cancel some flights we had booked and paid for through Virgin (due to family medical issues)

We have since been credited these back into the Virgin Travel Bank. Not back onto our credit card as used for the original payment.

Virgin are flat out refusing to refund these onto our credit card.

What options do I have? We aren't looking to travel within the next few years (the credit needs to be used with 12 months)

- Would I have an luck claiming through travel insurance?

- Should i persist further with Virgin?

- Can i sell these to someone else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as its close to $2k that we would be losing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What travel insurance policy did you have? I would call them and ask, all the worst they can say is no.

It would depend on the provisions in the policy whether or not you will get your money back.

If the flight terms and conditions were non-refundable then you won't have much ground to stand on.

Not sure how you would go claiming through travel insurance as you have already got something back from Virgin, best bet is to read your PDS and then call your travel insurer.

If you were cancelling for medical reasons your probably should have started with your travel insurance provider.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Travel insurance will sometimes cover cancelled flights depending on your policy, but they might argue that you have already been reimbursed by virgin.

As for getting it refunded onto your credit card, last time I flew with Virgin their terms and conditions stated no refunds. It might depend on your tickets though so definitely go back and check what yours were but if they say no refunds, you won't get anything.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (29-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, i shall give them a call tonight, not liking my chances but like you said, the worst they can say is no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you need to have a good look at the terms and conditions of the tickets as provided by Virgin - this should tell you about whether they will provide you with a refund.

Many travel insurance policies may provide a refund for medical issues (though not sure if it has to be for someone who is travelling, or could be for extended family) so definitely worth having a look at your policy and giving them a call.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    This just happened to a friend of mine on Jetstar. They've got a $1600 credit voucher. They have 12 months to book flights. They dont have to fly within the 12 months however, just book the tickets. I wonder if Virgin have something similar. Also, my friend can book tickets for anyone using the voucher, it doesnt have to be for her family members, so she is on the lookout for anyone, friends or family, flying Jetstar in the next 12 months to see if they will give her the cash and use her credit voucher.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum got a refund from Virgin using this method and ended up selling the 'credit' on eBay. She didn't lose very much at all - maybe 7-8% of the value

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a recent experience with Virgin when I had to cancel a flight due to medical reasons. I had a threatened miscarriage and was put on 5 weeks bedrest after a hospital admission. I tried every angle I could think of as I fly regularly for work. But all to no avail as They wouldnt even reimburse with a credit.
    I'd say if they are offering a credit note that that is probably the best that you can expect.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blinky76 For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (30-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow I guess I got lucky. I had to cancel flights with Jetstar. We were due to fly in Feb, but I was told not to fly at all during my pregnancy due to high risk. I got a note from my dr and sent it to Jetstar with a request to refund my flights. Money was in my account 2 weeks later.