+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mother-in-law

Hello mummas,
    I am new to this forum & joined just to ask a few questions & get some advice with regards to my mother-in-law.
    My partner, 14 month old & I are staying with the in-laws until we get our own place, as we are re-locating. This morning my toddler went walk-about & I opened my MIL's bedroom door to find him in there with her as she was getting ready for work. That dosen't bother me, but when I noticed that she didn't have a shirt or bra on & he was right infront of her, I got a bit flustered & a little kranky & shut the door. I feel like this would be ok if it were her child ... but he isn't!! Am I over reacting?? Would this upset you?? Im not sure how I should go about approaching her & telling her that this made me very uncomfortable! She is such a confrontational person & is extremely bossy & 'matter of factly'. I don't want to cause tension while we are staying with them but I also don't want my baby in the room with other people while they are half naked. Any advice would be appreciated. We have had a few run-ins before but not for any reason such as this.
    Thanks girls ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe tell her that you noticed he walked in on her getting dressed & you would like to teach him it isn't good manners. Style it as wanting to start to teach him to respect privacy etc instead of saying "I don't want you dressing in front of my kids"?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

amyd  (29-06-2015),bobbi💜  (29-06-2015),VicPark  (29-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It wouldn't bother me at all to be honest. I'd feel more embarrassed that I opened her door without knocking.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (29-06-2015),Best Things  (29-06-2015),Cardi  (29-06-2015),delirium  (29-06-2015),MissMuppet  (29-06-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (29-06-2015),VicPark  (29-06-2015),Wise Enough  (29-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah I'm not sure. If she is anything like my mum she wouldn't have thought anything of it. If just mention it's not something you really feel comfortable with.

It doesn't bother me ... But my mum still gets undressed in front of me and my kids and I just say 'mum some warning please!!!'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls. I'm pretty tired today so I may just be over reacting lol. My little man tends to go into rooms & close the door behind him & then he can't get out. I could hear him in there so I opened the door to let him out, obviously not realising she was in there 😕
    She was not bothered that I had opened her door at all & found the whole thing quite amusing. I may just leave it as is.
    Thanks heaps for the advice 👍

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can't really help how you feel, especially if you are tired x. Some people are comfortable with nudity and some aren't, there is no shame in that at all.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

amyd  (29-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As it's her house and you are staying there I don't feel you can comment.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I probably wouldn't say anything especially if the situation is already strained (just to keep the peace) but I would be making sure my son was never again in that situation (it makes me uncomfortable male or female). How long are you staying with them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would apologise to her for opening her door and tell her why you did it. Then if you have a good relationship with her maybe tell her that you aren't comfortable with your son being around naked people and would she help you out by redirecting him if he goes into rooms he shouldn't.

It wouldn't have bothered me when my sons were that young but not they are a bit older it would and this is the route I would take. I don't think there is anything wrong with you not wanting your son to see naked people but if your mil is ok with it you need to approach it gently and not tell her she is wrong IYKWIM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This wouldn't bother me at all. DS is almost 5 and it still wouldn't bother me if MIL (or my mother) weren't bothered by him being there.