Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerHeels View Post
    What is FODMAP? Please excuse my ignorance

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

It's a diet designed to identify trigger foods for IBS so that you can avoid them. It is not a long-term diet as its very restrictive - but its basically stripping back your diet and the reintroducing foods to work out of something upsets you, up to a full diet again so you know what to avoid.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (30-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thats interesting thank you, what milk do you find is better for you?

I drink the Dairy Farmers "New" milk (their 2% fat milk). If that isn't available then Pauls full cream. The dairy farmers full cream gives me diarrhoea, as does the Pauls smarter white milk. If I'm interstate, then I find full cream milk generally less upsetting than the low fat milks.

If you google FODMAP or low FODMAP diet it will bring it all up. I was told to see a dietician who specializes in it, but I kinda knew my triggers so just avoided them. Basically they're foods that reduce the chance of inflammation in the gut.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Anyone suffer with ibs or similar?

I too suffer from IBS and have been diagnosed with mild colitis. I am also intolerant to most fruit or should I say the 'fructose' in it, wine and juice etc. I suffer when I am most stressed and also when my diet is not good. It goes without saying that I don't eat much spice, rich foods (such as anything cooked in fat or oil) also affect me quite badly, I avoid coffee and my milk intake is minimal. Alcohol can also cause flare ups as does onion and garlic.
    I have been on medication in the past but as I have been actively TTC with IVF and/or pregnant for the last few years I have not been able to take it so have managed the bad flare ups with dietary changes. I suffer mainly from loose bowel movements which never really change but can be manageable when I am strict with what I'm eating. I definitely second getting a referral to a gastro if you are finding this is a recurring issue. Hope your doing ok, it can be a very debilitating situation. x

ETA- I followed the FODMAP diet with the help of a dietitian in order to work out my triggers by process of elimination.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

It's a diet designed to identify trigger foods for IBS so that you can avoid them. It is not a long-term diet as its very restrictive - but its basically stripping back your diet and the reintroducing foods to work out of something upsets you, up to a full diet again so you know what to avoid.
    Thank you I should probably give that a try

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCarts View Post
    I too suffer from IBS and have been diagnosed with mild colitis. I am also intolerant to most fruit or should I say the 'fructose' in it, wine and juice etc. I suffer when I am most stressed and also when my diet is not good. It goes without saying that I don't eat much spice, rich foods (such as anything cooked in fat or oil) also affect me quite badly, I avoid coffee and my milk intake is minimal. Alcohol can also cause flare ups as does onion and garlic.
    I have been on medication in the past but as I have been actively TTC with IVF and/or pregnant for the last few years I have not been able to take it so have managed the bad flare ups with dietary changes. I suffer mainly from loose bowel movements which never really change but can be manageable when I am strict with what I'm eating. I definitely second getting a referral to a gastro if you are finding this is a recurring issue. Hope your doing ok, it can be a very debilitating situation. x

ETA- I followed the FODMAP diet with the help of a dietitian in order to work out my triggers by process of elimination.
    Thank you so much x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you I should probably give that a try

There is an app put out by monash uni to help you identify foods to avoid - I did this after I was diagnosed, sadly foods don't seem to be a trigger for me (it would make life easier if they were! Only beetroot bothers me) stress is a major trigger, trying to keep stress under control can be really hard though! :/

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I get IBS (is associated with some medications that I take) ... and yes I get bloated, diarreah, constipation and other lovely stuff like that.

I control it mainly with diet and lifestyle. Regular excercise (nothing too much, but a bit) helps ... but mainly just avoiding my trigger foods.

It took quite a while to identify what foods were triggering ... process of elimination really.

- Milk - I can have some milk, but too much of it (and any full cream milk) sets me off
    - wine - the preservatives in wine affect me greatly. Champagne is ok (well, good champagne. some cheap champagne is bad)
    - cereal and super high fibre foods - too much fibre gives me constipation, and then diarreah straight after
    - some fruits

Also I cant eat too much first thing in the morning. It seems to take my digestive system a little while to wake up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm also currently diagnosed IBS, the swinging from diahorrea to constipation type. I'm waiting for a colonoscopy to rule out anything else. So far I know that I can't drink milk or I'll get constipated, coffee and alcohol will set me off in the other direction. There is other triggers that I haven't worked out yet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much to everyone for your replies it seems to be a real case of trial and error

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much to everyone for your replies it seems to be a real case of trial and error

I hope the GP can give you some answers. My DH has IBD and his mum had IBS. The suffering from a touchy bowel can be really tough, especially the unknowns with what foods are helpful and what are not. I think I would want to get IBD ruled out as there are some great medicines now for when you flare.