+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,628
    Thanks
    419
    Thanked
    845
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerHeels View Post
    What is FODMAP? Please excuse my ignorance

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

    It's a diet designed to identify trigger foods for IBS so that you can avoid them. It is not a long-term diet as its very restrictive - but its basically stripping back your diet and the reintroducing foods to work out of something upsets you, up to a full diet again so you know what to avoid.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

    SuperGranny  (30-06-2015)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,378
    Thanks
    1,341
    Thanked
    2,813
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerHeels View Post
    Thats interesting thank you, what milk do you find is better for you?

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I drink the Dairy Farmers "New" milk (their 2% fat milk). If that isn't available then Pauls full cream. The dairy farmers full cream gives me diarrhoea, as does the Pauls smarter white milk. If I'm interstate, then I find full cream milk generally less upsetting than the low fat milks.

    If you google FODMAP or low FODMAP diet it will bring it all up. I was told to see a dietician who specializes in it, but I kinda knew my triggers so just avoided them. Basically they're foods that reduce the chance of inflammation in the gut.

  4. #13
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,487
    Thanks
    921
    Thanked
    551
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

    Default Anyone suffer with ibs or similar?

    I too suffer from IBS and have been diagnosed with mild colitis. I am also intolerant to most fruit or should I say the 'fructose' in it, wine and juice etc. I suffer when I am most stressed and also when my diet is not good. It goes without saying that I don't eat much spice, rich foods (such as anything cooked in fat or oil) also affect me quite badly, I avoid coffee and my milk intake is minimal. Alcohol can also cause flare ups as does onion and garlic.
    I have been on medication in the past but as I have been actively TTC with IVF and/or pregnant for the last few years I have not been able to take it so have managed the bad flare ups with dietary changes. I suffer mainly from loose bowel movements which never really change but can be manageable when I am strict with what I'm eating. I definitely second getting a referral to a gastro if you are finding this is a recurring issue. Hope your doing ok, it can be a very debilitating situation. x

    ETA- I followed the FODMAP diet with the help of a dietitian in order to work out my triggers by process of elimination.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    993
    Thanks
    791
    Thanked
    392
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

    It's a diet designed to identify trigger foods for IBS so that you can avoid them. It is not a long-term diet as its very restrictive - but its basically stripping back your diet and the reintroducing foods to work out of something upsets you, up to a full diet again so you know what to avoid.
    Thank you I should probably give that a try

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    993
    Thanks
    791
    Thanked
    392
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCarts View Post
    I too suffer from IBS and have been diagnosed with mild colitis. I am also intolerant to most fruit or should I say the 'fructose' in it, wine and juice etc. I suffer when I am most stressed and also when my diet is not good. It goes without saying that I don't eat much spice, rich foods (such as anything cooked in fat or oil) also affect me quite badly, I avoid coffee and my milk intake is minimal. Alcohol can also cause flare ups as does onion and garlic.
    I have been on medication in the past but as I have been actively TTC with IVF and/or pregnant for the last few years I have not been able to take it so have managed the bad flare ups with dietary changes. I suffer mainly from loose bowel movements which never really change but can be manageable when I am strict with what I'm eating. I definitely second getting a referral to a gastro if you are finding this is a recurring issue. Hope your doing ok, it can be a very debilitating situation. x

    ETA- I followed the FODMAP diet with the help of a dietitian in order to work out my triggers by process of elimination.
    Thank you so much x

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,628
    Thanks
    419
    Thanked
    845
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerHeels View Post
    Thank you I should probably give that a try

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    There is an app put out by monash uni to help you identify foods to avoid - I did this after I was diagnosed, sadly foods don't seem to be a trigger for me (it would make life easier if they were! Only beetroot bothers me) stress is a major trigger, trying to keep stress under control can be really hard though! :/

  8. #17
    BH-KatiesMum's Avatar
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    22,521
    Thanks
    5,443
    Thanked
    5,909
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I get IBS (is associated with some medications that I take) ... and yes I get bloated, diarreah, constipation and other lovely stuff like that.

    I control it mainly with diet and lifestyle. Regular excercise (nothing too much, but a bit) helps ... but mainly just avoiding my trigger foods.

    It took quite a while to identify what foods were triggering ... process of elimination really.

    - Milk - I can have some milk, but too much of it (and any full cream milk) sets me off
    - wine - the preservatives in wine affect me greatly. Champagne is ok (well, good champagne. some cheap champagne is bad)
    - cereal and super high fibre foods - too much fibre gives me constipation, and then diarreah straight after
    - some fruits

    Also I cant eat too much first thing in the morning. It seems to take my digestive system a little while to wake up.

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    645
    Thanks
    262
    Thanked
    238
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm also currently diagnosed IBS, the swinging from diahorrea to constipation type. I'm waiting for a colonoscopy to rule out anything else. So far I know that I can't drink milk or I'll get constipated, coffee and alcohol will set me off in the other direction. There is other triggers that I haven't worked out yet

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    993
    Thanks
    791
    Thanked
    392
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks so much to everyone for your replies it seems to be a real case of trial and error

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    5
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerHeels View Post
    Thanks so much to everyone for your replies it seems to be a real case of trial and error

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I hope the GP can give you some answers. My DH has IBD and his mum had IBS. The suffering from a touchy bowel can be really tough, especially the unknowns with what foods are helpful and what are not. I think I would want to get IBD ruled out as there are some great medicines now for when you flare.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Not sos but similar? ?
    By KillerHeels in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-01-2015, 19:20
  2. Anyone else had a similar situation
    By firstbubba2015 in forum First Trimester Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-12-2014, 19:25
  3. Sydney Family suffer after naming their daughter Isis
    By Mod-Uniquey in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-10-2014, 11:26

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Hills Swimming
Swim with your friends and you will all get a 33% discount!* We have programs to suit all ages and abilities, with small classes held in our warm indoor 25 metre pool. Highly qualified teachers, and award winning programs. *conditions apply
featured supporter
Sudocrem / Infacol
Sudocrem® Healing Cream is a soothing emollient cream which aids and assists in the management of nappy rash, eczema, abrasions, wounds and minor skin irritations. Infacol Wind Drops are an effective method of treating wind in infants.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!