+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone suffer with ibs or similar?

Iv been getting sever abdominal cramping, diarrhea, gas and nausea for a while now and after doing some research I believe I may have ibs. It says it can be worse during times of stress which would be true for me right now. Tonight I haven't been able to have dinner as I feel sick and bloated and just generally yucky I had a large cappuccino while I was out shopping today (haven't had one for nearly 2 weeks) and iv felt awful all day. A few nights ago I had a curry and within an hour I had sever tummy cramps and had to run to the bathroom. I used to love spicy and rich food but since my c section 10 months ago it just doesn't sit right with me at all. Does anyone have ibs or similar? What are your symptoms? How do you manage it? Im going to go and see my gp this week. I do have a family history of ulcerative colitis and chrones disease
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't cut out any foods until you see a GP and possibly get a referral to a gastro. With a history of IBD in your family I would personally want this ruled out before a diagnosis of IBS.

I was wrongly diagnosed with IBS for most of my life (without any further referrals) until a particularly severe flare up of what was actually Crohn's had the drs listening to me. IBD is not overly common (and IBS is), but I really don't like this trend of diagnosing "IBS" without any evidence that it isn't something more. Just my 2c.

Edit: You can do a stool sample called a faecal calprotectin test which can give some indication if your symptoms are inflammatory or not. It's a good starting point and is easy to do - there is a fee (~$70) as it's not medicare subsidised but it's easy and quick to get results from. Not always conclusive - but can be a starting point on what you may be dealing with.
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 28-06-2015 at 20:12.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (28-06-2015),Emi36  (28-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a thought.. Are you taking any vitamins? I switched from elevit to fefol and got your symptoms. I stopped the tablets and it goes. May be something you take regularly not agreeing with you maybe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kim85 View Post
    Just a thought.. Are you taking any vitamins? I switched from elevit to fefol and got your symptoms. I stopped the tablets and it goes. May be something you take regularly not agreeing with you maybe?
    No I don't take anything at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was diagnosed with IBS last year, but only after I went through blood tests, stool sample, endoscopy and colonoscopy. Definitely see your GP and outline all your symptoms including when they started, any potential triggers etc etc.

For example, I can go from diarrhoea to constipation within a day and vice versa. I found certain trigger foods include egg and milk. I can't eat egg 2 days (on their own like poached, not in something like cake, quiche) in a row without getting the cramps and diarrhoea hours after the second helping. Same with milk. I'm really picky about what milk I drink, as some milk gives me cramping and diarrhoea too. I haven't had any issues for close to a year now and it's been good. If I can't buy my normal milk then I have a back up, but I do find I get a bit queasy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Don't cut out any foods until you see a GP and possibly get a referral to a gastro. With a history of IBD in your family I would personally want this ruled out before a diagnosis of IBS.

I was wrongly diagnosed with IBS for most of my life (without any further referrals) until a particularly severe flare up of what was actually Crohn's had the drs listening to me. IBD is not overly common (and IBS is), but I really don't like this trend of diagnosing "IBS" without any evidence that it isn't something more. Just my 2c.

Edit: You can do a stool sample called a faecal calprotectin test which can give some indication if your symptoms are inflammatory or not. It's a good starting point and is easy to do - there is a fee (~$70) as it's not medicare subsidised but it's easy and quick to get results from. Not always conclusive - but can be a starting point on what you may be dealing with.
    Thank you thats really helpful. Thinking back iv had 'flare ups' for a long time and just put them down to feeling unwell but now im going through a rough patch with a number of things these symptoms are pretty on going at the moment which has led me to take noticw and do some research and since doing this its explained a lot of things. Flare ups after certain foods, at certain times of the month, when im stressed etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    I was diagnosed with IBS last year, but only after I went through blood tests, stool sample, endoscopy and colonoscopy. Definitely see your GP and outline all your symptoms including when they started, any potential triggers etc etc.

For example, I can go from diarrhoea to constipation within a day and vice versa. I found certain trigger foods include egg and milk. I can't eat egg 2 days (on their own like poached, not in something like cake, quiche) in a row without getting the cramps and diarrhoea hours after the second helping. Same with milk. I'm really picky about what milk I drink, as some milk gives me cramping and diarrhoea too. I haven't had any issues for close to a year now and it's been good. If I can't buy my normal milk then I have a back up, but I do find I get a bit queasy.
    Thats interesting thank you, what milk do you find is better for you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I saw a gastro and got lots blood tests. Then a endoscopy too to rule out coeliac etc. I used to follow FODMAP but since my last pregnancy I have seriously slacked off 😏

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    I saw a gastro and got lots blood tests. Then a endoscopy too to rule out coeliac etc. I used to follow FODMAP but since my last pregnancy I have seriously slacked off 😏
    What is FODMAP? Please excuse my ignorance