+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrillian View Post
    Devil's Advocate time:

If they keep them high, people complain about them being overly visible.

They drop them to the bottom shelf and evidently still can't win.

Where should they be kept?

("Not being printed at all" is not an answer)
    How about printing a car magazine based on cars??

I know...mind-blowing concept.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (29-06-2015),beebs  (20-08-2015),Busy-Bee  (29-06-2015),just her chameleon  (29-06-2015),MissMuppet  (29-06-2015),NoteToSelf  (29-06-2015),Papillon  (20-08-2015),VicPark  (30-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post

Actually there are several out there that do just that. The provocatively posed models have become less and less over the years. Gone are the days where the local garage or mechanic had his office lined with centrefolds and nudie calendars. Of course there are still some in existence but far less than there used to be

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post

That's not what their magazine is about. It's about sex and pistons. They've got their target market penned and have made no bones about what they are.

You can't get that upset about other people's preferences. eg. Trashy mags enrage me, but I don't advocate for them to be removed due to my displeasure at gossip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumStarlight View Post
    Actually there are several out there that do just that. The provocatively posed models have become less and less over the years. Gone are the days where the local garage or mechanic had his office lined with centrefolds and nudie calendars. Of course there are still some in existence but far less than there used to be
    I'm referring to that specific magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrillian View Post
    That's not what their magazine is about. It's about sex and pistons. They've got their target market penned and have made no bones about what they are.

You can't get that upset about other people's preferences. eg. Trashy mags enrage me, but I don't advocate for them to be removed due to my displeasure at gossip.
    I'm not upset about this one magazine. I'm upset that this sort of rubbish is literally everywhere. This magazine represents a MUCH MUCH bigger problem.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMouse84 View Post
    . We have bought magazines like these in the past pre kids and DD found a box of them and loved flicking through them. To her she saw the cars, and that's all. I think unless you teach your children that these images are wrong and sexualised that they aren't going to know this sort of thing.
    You really think your DD wouldn't notice the women pouting at the cameras with their legs apart in suggestive poses? That ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1435667130.873036.jpg letting your DD look through images such as this growing up is not going to leave an impression on her with regards to how she views women in relation to men?

Kids learn from continued exposure to certain images and other material. They don't need an adult to specifically point out stuff to them in order to take on messages from the things they see.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-08-2015),Busy-Bee  (01-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up around race cars and drivers so I have seen many pictures of barely clothed women posing with or on cars and I can honestly say I probably wouldn't have noticed it (I think I am desensitised to these pics) but I strongly believe it shouldn't have been placed at child height and yes my kids have seen people in bikinis before but they were either swimming on sunbathing not posing with a "let's go for a ride" look.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read all responses - I agree that you see the same/more at the beach, but generally not in a sexulaised pose like that. I probably would have just turned the magazines over so that the pic wasn't showing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    While I don't think that the checkout is the most appropriate place for this magazine, I don't look down upon the women (or men, for that matter) that choose to embrace their physical qualities. These women are probably more confident in their bodies than you or I and more power to them!

Our confidence is determined by many things, appearance being one of them. Take, for example, the 'look good, feel good' campaign. I think you would find an overwhelming majority of people would say they feel better if they've made an effort with their appearance, whether that be a full face of makeup and a dress or wearing a well fitting pair of jeans and their favourite band shirt, compared to a pair of holey tracksuit pants and a stretched out shirt.

If people want to seek out these magazines, that's their choice. If the models are consenting to the publication, that's their choice. If you don't want to partake, that's your choice, though you need to acknowledge that there are many things in society that you don't like but it doesn't make them wrong.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DSD and DSS wouldn't even notice this if we didn't point them out...
    They actually don't notice magazines or anything like that at all, unless we go into a bookstore or library specifically for reading material.
    When we go shopping, they notice what we are buying and treats, and want to just get it over with.

I guess it is an overly suggestive pose, but as I don't sexualise people by looking at them, that wasn't my first thought. Hopefully our kids will be the same.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wwyd: Boobie magazine in supermarket

Last edited by NoteToSelf; 20-08-2015 at 13:18.