+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help a new single mum out?

Back story - controlling ex did everything for the last 8 years. I'm just learning how to take care of a car, budget for bills etc. Be nice to me.

How do I get the Internet switched on???

I've tried a couple of service providers and they all say they can't provide Internet to my address. It's soo frustrating.

I have a plug in the wall for a landline so I know there is a phone line into the unit, I don't understand why they just cant send Internet down that! lol

Who do I call to find out which service providers can provide our little house with this basic nessessity (jokes but would like to know)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's possible there aren't enough lines in your suburb. I know when we moved, we had to wait for someone to leave the suburb before we could get the Internet connected due to their being more houses than available ports! It's ridiculous.

What reason have you been given for them being unable to provide the service?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (28-06-2015),Pusheen The Cat  (28-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We can't get broadband because our phone exchange is too old. We have to wait for it to be upgraded. After ten years I've given up. I just use teltras wireless. It's bloody expensive though!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (28-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're renting and the phone line into the house was severed when our landlord put in a retaining wall a few years ago, long before we moved in.
    Unfortunately for us phone connections aren't considered a necessity anymore so he doesn't have to fix it...grrr.
    Anyway, we also have Telsta wireless. You get a little black box thing that you just plug into a power point and off you go. It is more expensive but we don't have much choice.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to calicocat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Mum had an issue where there were not enough points at the exchange so she had to wait for one to become available. It took 3 years for her to get connected. Perhaps it's the same issue for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have the landline connected? If not you need to look at naked adsl plans. They run through the phone line but do not need home phone connected.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Beetlegeuse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had this problem in all the places we lived in regional WA, something to do with the type of cabling.

We've had 4G wireless internet which is just a thing you plug into a USB port and works via the same network as mobile phones do.

If you want to run more than one computer, you can get a 4G unit that then emits a WiFi signal that the computers can use.

As my new laptop has built in WiFi, I just turn my phone into a WiFi hotspot and run my laptop through that.

All these options are unfortunately way slower that broadband/ADSL, so you won't want to be downloading any movies etc. But that's life when you're not in a 'connected' area.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've tried so many different service provider (Belong, inet, exetel, dodo, all the cheep ones) but haven't asked why they can't. They just say 'sorry, ADSL2/NBN is not availble in your area'

I think the neighbours have telstra but yes its sooo expensive maybe I'm better off putting my mobile plan up to unlimited data and just piggy backing off that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BerryDelicious View Post
    I've tried so many different service provider (Belong, inet, exetel, dodo, all the cheep ones) but haven't asked why they can't. They just say 'sorry, ADSL2/NBN is not availble in your area'

I think the neighbours have telstra but yes its sooo expensive maybe I'm better off putting my mobile plan up to unlimited data and just piggy backing off that?
    Telstra doesn't do unlimited data on mobiles, not sure about others. Ring Telstra and ask if they can do broadband.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Telstra doesn't do unlimited data on mobiles, not sure about others. Ring Telstra and ask if they can do broadband.
    Dam it, neither does optus. Grrr.